Cher | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Cher

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Baby Clyde, Aug 5, 2006.

?

Is Cher The Greatest Human Being To Have Ever Lived?

1. Yes

2. Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

You should! The great thing is she's done so many genres so there should be something to fit your tastes.

2. Absolutely this woman defines the term "Legend" the fact she's been around and relevent during so many musical era's is just a testament to her talent and personality.

Supporting The Doors on tour, hanging out with The Beatles, getting propositioned by Elvis himself, backing vocals for 60's golden songs, working with Bon Jovi, dating Gene Simmons, getting praise from Meryl Streep on her acting... her career is just brilliant and she's countlessly weathered the storm.

My overall fave era of hers was definitely the rock output. Save Up All Your Tears OWNS! I'll Never Stop Loving You, Emotional Fire, Love Hurts, I've Found Someone, Just Like Jesse James. -The Live At The Mirage DVD is very reasonably priced and such a great rock/pop show.
    Some of my personal highlights.
    Beavis & Butthead I Got You Babe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axpoBDAHOEk
    Main Man
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL8ZMAJhENQ&feature=PlayList&p=94530C02A7FAF059&index=0&playnext=1
    And the BRILLIANT After All
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEmhA10K_R4
    Alive Again -nice slice of Xenomania fact fans..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHhtT5ey7tk&feature=related
    Lolorific...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNi4RxeYoak
    Mask is her best movie too.

I wish she'd come out with one more album but weren't there problems with her record label wanting to terminate her contract? And am sure she'd embarked on the never ending farewell tour when the album came out anyways. I read somewhere that Timbaland wanted her to feature on his Shock Value 2 album, doubt there's much truth in that though!

3. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

She always said that it was a farewell from touring, not music though. We'll see a new Cher album one day.

(That Timbaland rumour was the best thing ever, I'd love for that to happen)

4. She could do worse than a months run at the 02.

5. I have no idea about terminating the contract, but record companies seem very complicated as she is definately fighting for royalties with regards to two successful compilation albums. Bono's widdow and kids are due the money as well, so she's doing the right thing. At least we have a few movies to wait for as it has been absolutely ages since she properly acted, although she has brought Laverne back into her act in Vegas.

But oh dear, I just heard the Cherished album - what a pile of contrived rubbish unfortunately.

6. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

7. Oh sorry my comment on Living Proof was to people questioning it's success and her not promoting it, not that she was bowing out on music.

This would be amazing!

8. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

I can't tell if that's sarcasm... Sonny Bono, if it's not.

9. I managed to get my hands on 'Stars'
    Its BRILLIANT. Track it down if you can.
    It took a listen or two as it's not the sort of sound I'm used to from Cher, but now I can see exactly how it fits into the rest of her back catalog. Thanks for alerting me of it.

I really hope she does come over to do a stint at the O2...

10. I can't say I was over impressed with "Stars" but I've only listened to it once.

I'm considering compiling a complete Cher singles album. Has anyone ever managed it?

11. The next step, then, is A Woman's Story - produced by Phil Spector, Cher has never went darker. It has great world-weary lyrics, but my favourite always raises a smile: 'but from now on I say, hell no!' Cher obviously doesn't stay down for long. Her flickering torch ballads always manage to capture that very moment, if you have been down, when you start to get a grip.

Then she comes back to life slowly on the larval Baby, I Love You, it's very graceful. Cher just sounds so other-worldly without ever resorting to being whimsical. I am almost getting a little sad that there is almost nothing left for me to discover - she had better get a move on with a new album then!

12. Can I recommend Not.Com.mercial...
    It was an album released digitally through her website after the success of Believe, -she recorded the album in France mid-nineties and had it rejected because it "wasn't commercial" hence the albums title. Some great songs, very reflective in parts.

13. One word: Mermaids.

(yes I know its not music but its the best thing that has Cher's name on it).

14. Hoorah!!!

Go Cher, go!

15. cher win

16. im off to see Cher in Las Vegas in November - TRES EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

Hello.

I was watching Cher's Farewell Tour last night and the movie montage bit was on, including her singing in a clip for Tea With Mussolini. I have never seen anything of this movie except for this clip, so I always assumed it was a musical.

I can't seem to find any reference to it being a musical anywhere, so if it isn't, can someone explain to me the context of the scene in which she's singing?

This a bit obscure as it wasn't a super-popular film but hopefully a Cher fanatic can help me.

18. No, this is not a musical. I've seen it several years ago and if I recall correctly, Cher played a singer or something like that, so this is probably the reason why there was that clip in the montage you've seen.

But I can assure you this is absolutely not a musical. :)

19. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

Amazingly quick response, thank you.

I think I just decided when I was like 12 and seeing The Farewell Tour for the first time on DVD that it was a musical and ended up believing my own assumption without actually checking, if that makes sense?

Anyway, that's sorted! Another Cher-related mystery that keeps me up at night solved.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.