Cher | Page 84 | The Popjustice Forum

Cher

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Baby Clyde, Aug 5, 2006.

?

Is Cher The Greatest Human Being To Have Ever Lived?

1. Yes

2. Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I almost put this in my Top 5!

LPT and idratherjack like this.
  2. I don't think I could order a top 5, they're some of my favourite songs of all time!

Save Up All Your Tears
    All Or Nothing
    One By One
    Just Like Jessie James
    Love and Understanding

Also, always thought this was a missed opportunity for a single, the Cher album was so strong.

AbSynth and Rich T like this.
  3. If we’re talking about missed opportunities for singles, I’d like to put this forward for consideration!

I always imagine it in my head as the perfect intro track for an 80’s film

4. Have such a soft spot for this one in all its naft late 80s glory:

manloveuk likes this.
  5. This made my Cher anthology by virtue of being a single in '88. Can't remember it though!

WhatKindOfKylie? and manloveuk like this.
  6. This bop should’ve been on her Very Best Of instead of that horrid “Rudy” track:

Aww, that Queen in the beginning super stoked to see her.

7. Loving the One By One love on here, the only 2 Cher singles I ever bought were One By One and Believe. One By One is probably my favourite Cher song, I’m not sure I could list a top 5, it’s too hard. I have a huge soft spot for the Heart of Stone and Love Hurts albums, I love her dramatic pop/rock moments of You Wouldn’t Know Love, Emotional Fire, When Love Calls Your Name and Who You Gonna Believe. Then of course you have her pop/dance moments Alive Again, Song for the Lonely, Different Kind of Love Song, Take It Like a Man, Dressed To Kill and Red. God I really hope we get at least one more original album from her. Id love for her to revisit her pop/rock roots of the 80’s/90’s.

8. Great shout - love Skin Deep, though the album version feels a bit limp/stale compared to the whistles, bells and punch of the single version:

Love it.

9. I feel like this is a song no-one knows but it's a big favourite of mine

The dance/pop half of Closer To The Truth is so strong (Take It Like A Man, My Love, Dressed To Kill, Red - all amazing!)

10. ^ Lovers Forever is superb - so bombastic!

idratherjack likes this.
  11. I always imagine it live in concert with Cher booming "surrender to me now" at an audience of captive gays.

The_Rani likes this.
  12. Top 5 Cher singles?

1. A Different Kind Of Love Song
    2. All Or Nothing
    3. Save Up All Your Tears
    4. Alive Again
    5. Believe.

[​IMG]
    We stan late 90s/early 00s maximalist dance Cher.

*Dressed To Kill would have been on here had she released it as a single! What a banger!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    AlmostFamous and idratherjack like this.
  13. Sounds more like an 80s Madonna track than Cher-not a bad thing though!

Eric Generic likes this.
  14. Not sure I've ever heard the single remix though.

15. ^Me neither, until now. Excellent find there @manloveuk.

manloveuk and Eric Generic like this.
  16. Top 5 Cher singles... I'm actually surprised after sitting and deciding the top 5 that not one of her dance tracks is here.

1. One by One
    2. The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore
    3. Heart of Stone
    4. Save Up All Your Tears
    5. I Hope You Find It

AbSynth and IEngineered like this.
  17. I must get this on CD immediately...

*sees Discogs prices*

Um, maybe not!

manloveuk and YourLeadSinger like this.
  18. Hence why we need proper Cher album re issues. And soon.

19. Cheers - less of a find though - it's the only version I know and was hearing on the radio at the time and I loved it. Getting my hands on the cd single was a key goal as soon as I became aware of the interweb and sites like discogs, ebay et al. Much like Dead Or Alive, Julian Cope and Bananarama, Cher's Skin Deep was a single I was convinced was gonna be huge in late '88, but it criminally seemed to sink without trace and has been stoically ignored on any retrospectives since.

I see we're doing Cher top 5's. Wouldn't say I'm a massive fan, but these are my go-to's for Cherilyn Sarkisian:

1. Heart Of Stone (only the single version)
    2. I Found Someone
    3. Skin Deep (again, only the single version)
    4. Save Up All Your Tears
    5. Believe
    6. Love & Understanding

She's got just enough to make a decent hits set, but the likelihood of my faves all being present and correct are zero to nothing.

IEngineered and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  20. I like how different Skin Deep was for Cher at the time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.