Cheryl Cole - 3 Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a few really dodgy vocal moments on this track, not least when she attempts some sort of vocal histrionics. I don't believe Cheryl can have a solo album much more successful that Rachel Steven's first solo effort, having heard this lacklustre affair.

I actually listened to My love is for real by Victoria Beckham straight after hearing this a few times, and our Vic wins hands down.

After listening to this about 8 times I have realized how amazing it is. I love the whole melancholy vibe. Out of all the recent high-profile stuff of the past few weeks, this is the one that I keep going to back to (along with "Nothin' But Love"). A "true grower", indeed.

I keep listening to it, but my opinion of it hasn't changed. I feel like I'm just forcing myself to like it because it's Cheryl, which is a bit silly. If it were someone else singing it, I would probably have just admitted defeat straight away.

I really like this, having heard it 5 times. It's just nothing like I was expecting.

I think it's a great autumn/winter pop song. True, her vocals aren't exactly going to set the word on fire, but I'd say it was a competent attempt.

The chorus is actually quite anthemic, in a bizzare sort of way. I'll certainly be buying this. And I reckon a great deal of those who aren't keen on it now will have changed their minds in a week or so,

Any words of remixers? I hope they go for a few dance remixes as opposed to rubbish R&B ones.

Steve x

Queen Cheryl of Cole said:
CharDog1 said:
I think people are being extremely critical about these vocals, this definitely isn't a case of the Paris Hilton / Kara Diogaurdi backing vocals going on. I think there plenty of live performances that show Cheryl is capable of pulling off these adlibs in the chorus. And it's not like she's trying to fool anyone with Andre Merritt's vocals still on the track, unless people think Cheryl is a black man.

I agree as well. People are being extra harsh, either because its Cheryl or because its Cheryl.

No. The only reason I've been giving it a second and third listen is because it's Cheryl Cole. If it was by any other artist and I heard it, I would never have listened to it again.

Though I like Cheryl, that still doesn't negate the fact that the song is, in my opinion, mediocre/bad.

I could imagine hearing this on the radio and enjoying it, but to me there's nothing remarkable about it that seems career-launching. A bit album-tracky, or as HotWreck said "3rd single". The verses >>>> the chorus.

euphoria. said:
Queen Cheryl of Cole said:
CharDog1 said:
I think people are being extremely critical about these vocals, this definitely isn't a case of the Paris Hilton / Kara Diogaurdi backing vocals going on. I think there plenty of live performances that show Cheryl is capable of pulling off these adlibs in the chorus. And it's not like she's trying to fool anyone with Andre Merritt's vocals still on the track, unless people think Cheryl is a black man.

I agree as well. People are being extra harsh, either because its Cheryl or because its Cheryl.

No. The only reason I've been giving it a second and third listen is because it's Cheryl Cole. If it was by any other artist and I heard it, I would never have listened to it again.

Though I like Cheryl, that still doesn't negate the fact that the song is, in my opinion, mediocre/bad.

I don't think you understood what I meant. People are being more critical of her vocals because of who she is, because she's a judge on a talent show, etc. Not everyone but there are some who, lets say, aren't particularly fans of Girls Aloud and/or Cheryl that are doing that "Autotune ft. Cheryl Cole" thing and little jabs like that.

Whether people want to admit it or not, or say if the song is good or bad, you can tell that that is Cheryl singing throughout the bulk majority of the song but, lets go back to this. What about Nicola on 'Fling' - the 'body like a work of art' line that so many people thought it was Kim or Nadine or Sarah or Cheryl but hardly anyone thought it was actually Nicola. It surely didn't sound like her did it? Was it the editing involved or the way she was singing? Who cares if a few words or parts of the song don't sound like Cheryl, the bulk majority of it actually does. That was the only thing I liked about the song on first listen, that I could tell it was her.

The middle 8 is pretty great in HQ. Of course it will go to number 1. The world is full of popinjustices right now, and although no one actually seems to love this song, it's inoffensive and enjoyable enough to perform well bearing in mind The Cole's media platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.