Cheryl (Cole) | Page 949 | The Popjustice Forum

Cheryl (Cole)

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by daveblackwell2k4, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I swear that every single time a woman is being torn down, she almost always pipes up and hops on the bandwagon which... seriously contradicts her "feminist-in-progress" social media bio.

2. When was this? I don’t recall ever seeing the song pinned as an R&B tune.

3. https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/chartblog/2009/10/cheryl_cole_fight_for_this_lov.shtml

https://www.digitalspy.com/music/single-reviews/a181809/cheryl-cole-fight-for-this-love-181809/

https://www.popjustice.com/briefing/a-positive-review-of-cheryl-coles-fight-for-this-love/

Sure, it was never considered a pure RnB song but what RnB song was without pop elements in 2009? Surely not from the likes of Rihanna, Ne-Yo, or Beyoncé and they were pretty high on the charts and considered RnB.

Also, some of those publications are calling it dance-pop which seems the most inaccurate. Can anyone actually dance to the standard “Fight For This Love” in the club!? Dddd

4. I did plenty of times. And with the choreography depending on the time of night.

upload_2021-9-1_1-39-37.gif

Holly Something and Rob like this.
  5. I hadn’t realized it was her show; I wrongly assumed she was a guest on an already existing program. The optics of doing it were never going to be good, and BBC should be called out for that.

Also, re: the bathroom assault, if anyone has a source for her apology, I would appreciate it. I can only find the judge’s initial statement that she showed no remorse for the attack.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    Blond, VivaForever and HolyWater like this.
    LPT, YourLeadSinger and lushLuck like this.
  7. Once again society shows its real face when something like this is used to tear a successful woman down. The Twitter campaign against Cheryl is horrendous in my opinion. Obviously, the main argument being that a podcast about R&B music should be hosted by a black (poc) woman is valid and understandable. However, blame should be put on the people responsible for this decision namely the BBC in this case. It’s not Cheryl’s podcast. It’s a BBC podcast hosted by her. It’s easier though to single out a white privileged woman (which of course she is) and tear her and her accomplishments down instead of a whole network and a major issue that runs through the UK (not only) labour system since forever.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  8. Well, yes, but she's not exactly helping to change the system by agreeing to do this. She could quite easily have said no and politely suggested they approach a black artist with an actual grounding in R&B instead. Given the UK music industry has been generally hopeless at nurturing Black talent and building long lasting careers, it's not like they'd have trouble finding someone who needs the money and exposure a lot more than she does.

scottdisick94, Mr.Arroz and lushLuck like this.
  9. This isn't new.

There were allegations about him at the time as well. So it worked for both of them in the eyes of some. To prove she wasn't racist and he wasn't allegations that I'm not sure are we allowed to discuss on here?

But on this topic. Some people will go out of there way to bring Cheryl down and she's actually been punished by a court for her past and apologised. Where is the line drawn on forgiveness?

Krissykins likes this.
  10. I get your point and I agree to an extent. She's not helping the system, but she should also not be singled out for not doing that. Cheryl has been offered a job and she didn't decline it, because she wants and needs it. Simple as that. I guess partly because she is excited about the topic and also because she needs and wants to work. It's not like she's an active popstar with an excruciating schedule who has problems fitting this gig in. Quite the contrary actually... of course there are a lot of black artists who need the money and exposure more than she does. Not trying to downplay that at all! I'm just saying it feels wrong to blame her for all of this and attack her, if her motives for accepting this job are understandable and the problem lies somewhere else.

11. I hope you'll all be as understanding the next time people with less messy pasts like Scarlett Johansson or James Corden takes a space that might be more appropriate for someone else.

VivaForever likes this.
  12. Sam

Sam

lmao this THREAD

13. I don’t think taking a multimillion dollar movie role in a wide release major motion picture project from a PoC/Queer source in a field that scarcely hires actual PoC/Queer folk as leads is on the same level as hosting a radio show but go off.

Rooneyboy, londonrain and timothy_b like this.
  14. So we can't have a white woman presenting a show about R&B music because that's racist? Since when is R&B music something only black or POC associate with? I know where rhythm and blues originates but to my knowledge it's not a show about that it's literally just a pop star playing you some of their favourite songs. Something the BBC have done many times before with other celebs.

I completely agree that we are far from having a fair and balanced representation when it comes to all fields of all industries but I don't quite get this hatred against Cheryl presenting this show? Perhaps I'm being super naive? If I am, I apologise but Cheryl is literally just playing her favourite R&B songs, right? It's not that deep. She's not attempting to educate people on the history of R&B or expressing that she's some kind of knowledge expert.

15. I believe the specific attack on Cheryl is because of the toilet attendant altercation which was seen as being racially motivated. Well, that and her stylistic appropriations of black culture.

16. I wonder if Cheryl is going to address this? Her usual stance is to take a step back, but it does seem to be gaining traction.

17. Considering your posting (and banning) history, I'd avoid this topic if I were you

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2021
  18. I think it would be only fair to point out that she was 100% cleared of racial charges by court. It might have been "seen" as being racially motivated by some people at the time, but it wasn't racially motivated and it is important to say it. It was an accusation that has been proved false in court, so implying that this is what happened, 18 years later, is kind of a questionable move.

As for the "show", BBC officially introduces it as her "love letter to the genre", which is surely a bit naive but still harmless. It is not Cheryl giving lessons about R&B. Maybe it was not a good decision? I'm really torn on this so I will respect everyone's opinion. They should have just named it "Cheryl's favorite tunes from her teenage years" which would be a far more suitable title.

As for Becky Hill, her history of racial and homophobic slurs says it all really.

Rooneyboy, timothy_b and HolyWater like this.
  19. Ok but that is exactly what is happening on Twitter so have fun trying to convince all of the responses/comments

Isn’t it called “Me & RnB” anyways? I think the program is fine. It had a clear reason and people are just big mad because they want to be.

20. 1. Court errors (and biases) are real, so I wouldn't put much weight behind her being exonerated of the racially aggravated assault charge dd. Didn't she call her ... multiple slurs?

2. It's cute that y'all have decided because it's not a problem to you, it shouldn't be a problem to anyone else, including ... y'know ... the communities that are directly impacted by racism and also responsible for birthing, driving, progressing R&B/soul/hip-hop music which are incredibly cultural in both their roots and their current forms.

3. Like, I Doberman stanned Cheryl at one point in my life, but there comes a point when you need to acknowledge a public figure's downfalls or failures even if it is part of a systemic issue. She is complicit, plain and simple, and I'm sure that a woman with her privilege is not going to face any long-term ramifications because of an internet backlash. Cancel culture isn't real.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.