Cheryl - General Discussion | Page 236 | The Popjustice Forum

Cheryl - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by daveblackwell2k4, May 17, 2007.

1. Re: Cheryl Cole - Third Album / General Discussion

The "other people were rubbish too" comments actually make Cheryl look worse, not better. The older stars - dodgy as some of them undoubtedly were - have nothing left to prove, and at least have the excuse of their voices wearing down over the years.

If this is how bad Cheryl sounds now, can you imagine her when she's Annie Lennox's age?

2. Re: Cheryl Cole - Third Album / General Discussion

Damn right.

3. IotV

IotV Guest

Re: Cheryl Cole - Third Album / General Discussion

Virtually every singer has a vocal coach. Doesn't mean a) the vocal coach is particularly good; or b) she uses him enough.

4. Re: Cheryl Cole - Third Album / General Discussion

Personally, I would rather she focused on getting better tunes than a better live vocal, which she doesn't need to use much anyway.

5. Re: Cheryl Cole - Third Album / General Discussion

She should just retire from music and focus on doing shitty hair commercials.

6. Re: Cheryl Cole - Third Album / General Discussion

Kirkland, the reason people are talking up Tom Jones' performance over Robbie, Kylie and Cheryl is because Tom Jones is absolutely a much better singer than all 3 of them put together. It's not all about the visuals guys, sometimes just a singing voice can cut it alone in this day and age.

On the subject of Cheryl- well she was awful. But I don't even know why this is a surprise to some people. She's never been anything other than an average pop singer at her best. Being out of the group though has certainly exposed her weaknesses more. I don't think all this lip syncing is about dance routines at all. I think the lip syncing is in place to show that she can't pull those songs off live even when stood still and the dancing is a cover for that.

7. Re: Cheryl Cole - Third Album / General Discussion

I don't even know why I wasted any energy on posting on this topic. I knew it'd just end up with some people completely missing the point. (However, I would like to extend my thanks to the few rational ones.)

Carry on with the bickering, guys. I'm gonna stand over here.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  8. Re: Cheryl Cole - Third Album / General Discussion

Personally I think everyone was a bit awful and it doesn't really matter.

9. Re: Cheryl Cole - Third Album / General Discussion

For a popstar who isn't a "singer," I thought she sounded fine.

10. IotV

IotV Guest

Every popstar is a singer. There are people who sell themselves on their voices, yeah, but Cheryl "_" is way below even those that don't (e.g. Kylie - much better technique behind her than Cheryl "_").

11. Re: Cheryl Cole - Third Album / General Discussion

Britney, Ciara, Rihanna, Jennifer Lopez, Lisa Scott-Lee...I wouldn't really call any of them 'singers.'

Point being, Cheryl, for quite some time, has been an entertainer who sings. It's impossible to hear yourself in stadium style venues like this Jubilee show, especially when it's a multi-artist bill and sound mixes are changing for every performer. I think for what she is, she sounded fine.

12. bythebay

bythebay Guest

Not only is she a bad singer, I heard she kills puppies and kicks orphans in the teeth in her spare time.

13. Re: Cheryl Cole - Third Album / General Discussion

I believe her real fans are the ones who love her and her music, but are not deluded enough to believe she can actually sing well live, as is clearly illustrated by yesterday's performance.

14. JadeFan

JadeFan Guest

Isn't Terry Dannii's GBFF? Shady business going on, I suspect!

15. IotV

IotV Guest

Rihanna is a better singer than Cheryl by far.
    Britney, although she's utterly shit, at least has the excuse of singing in a put on voice.
    I know nothing about J-Lo or Ciara!

16. Re: Cheryl Cole - Third Album / General Discussion

Why using "virtually" when he has been Girls Aloud's vocal coach for years after H.Shaw started managing them? For albums, for tours, for a lot of their performances...

How do we missed your point? you didn't writet a new physics' law, this is about Cheryl improving her singing or not by having a vocal coach... if anything you were missing the right information.

17. Re: Cheryl Cole - Third Album / General Discussion

Rihanna has a more interesting recording voice, but live... just no. She sounds like a goat with a sore throat and a peg on it's nose, and dances like one too. At least Cheryl isn't nasal, and while her range is poor, what she can do sounds pretty.

18. vasilios

vasilios Guest

Mmmm no.

I have seen both live many times (more than 5, various tours) and Cheryl is far worse.
    She's a better dancer lately, but let's see her do a full show, like Rihanna does and then judge.

19. Re: Cheryl Cole - Third Album / General Discussion

so they're planning some viral campaign, the following casting breakdown just went out:

Cheryl Cole - Screw You (Music Video)

Morning all,

Please suggest ASAP on this exciting, edgy music video for Cheryl Cole. Great Director at Academy Films who has worked on promos for Kanye West, Seal, Bon Iver etc.

Please check availability before suggesting - Casting Friday, rehearsal Sunday afternoon, shooting Monday. The Sunday rehearsal is somewhat optional but strongly preferred. Please make a note if your client is unavailable for this, we'll still see people but we need to know in advance.

A couple of things to stress: online/viral usage only, no TV. Some nudity required for The Boyfriend and The Girl only - stylised, abstract shots only.

Many thanks,

Thom & Michael

Hammond Cox Casting

Closing Date: 07/06/2012 : 23:59

Pay category: Paid (non-Equity rate)

Production dates: 1 shoot day - Monday June 11th (location TBC, within the M25) Casting - Friday June 8th Workshop Rehearsal (for confirmed cast) - Sunday June 10th

Company: Academy Films

Producer: Liz Kessler

Director: Nabil Elderkin

Casting director: Hammond Cox Casting - Thom Hammond & Michael Cox

Casting details: Friday June 8th at Academy Films - 16 West Central Street, London WC1A 1JJ

Summary

This video is a dark cinematic piece. It will lean more to the feel of a short with the music playing as a score.

The narrative is simple: A boyfriend that has a dark side of infidelity and a girlfriend who has reached the end of the line. The key reference is Steve McQueen's Shame.

The Girlfriend (Female, 18 - 30)

Attractive and edgy: the narrative revolves around The Girlfriend breaking down as she suspects her partner's infidelity, discovers him with another girl and violently takes her revenge on him.

The Girlfriend is at the heart of the video, we need a strong, compelling performance to convey big emotional moments. This will make for great, cinematic showreel material.

Height: Any

Ethnicity: Any

Agreements: £200

Online/Viral usage only - No TV

The Boyfriend (Male, 20 - 30)

Good looking, stylish and confident. Should have an immediate sexual magnetism and appeal. The best shorthand reference is Fassbender on the subway in the opening scene of Shame.

The narrative centres around The Boyfriend's infidelity and features some intense, passionate moments: suggestions should be confident with this.

There will be some nudity required (not full-frontal) Please note that these shots will be abstract and stylised.

The Girl (Female, 18 - 30)

Attractive and stylish, The Girl is out drinking with friends when she encounters The Boyfriend and is immediately drawn to him.

The narrative centres around their infidelity and features some intense, passionate moments: suggestions should be confident with this.

There will be some nudity required (topless, not full-frontal) Please note that these shots will be abstract and stylised.

20. Re: Cheryl Cole - Third Album / General Discussion

Oh yes! Cheryl is going back to chavvvvvvvvvvvv!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.