Cheryl - Only Human

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 11652

Re: Cheryl - Crazy Stupid Love + 4th Studio Album discussion

Is that her realising half way through and deciding to sing, or does the track just start working?

She realizes halfway through - you can see her take out her earpiece to see if the prerecorded voice is coming through. Then she realizes it isn't and starts singing. My thought was that she was meant to sing the song live (with autotune) but 'forgot' and thought it would be lip-synched. When she starts singing live, you can hear how her voice isn't entirely natural... and if the intention was to lip-synch the entire time, why would they have bothered auto-tuning her mic?

Not that it matters. I'm excited for new Cheryl!

1. She actually sounds pretty good when she sings live in that clip. I'm far from a Cheryl fan but I gotta give her credit. I've always thought vocally she was "alright" and never understood the criticism she always got (besides the Jubilee thing which was awful). As part of Girls Aloud I always found her perfectly fine.

2. The production on that show is a mess. Not only do they fuck things up with Cheryl but they make a mess at the end after Davina has finished talking. Cringe.

She realizes halfway through - you can see her take out her earpiece to see if the prerecorded voice is coming through. Then she realizes it isn't and starts singing. My thought was that she was meant to sing the song live (with autotune) but 'forgot' and thought it would be lip-synched. When she starts singing live, you can hear how her voice isn't entirely natural... and if the intention was to lip-synch the entire time, why would they have bothered auto-tuning her mic?

Not that it matters. I'm excited for new Cheryl!

If that is the case, then I also am impressed. She sounds actually really good.

He / Him

So excited, glad the ball has started rolling!

Yeah I never get when people* post that as 'LOLZ Cheryl is not Maria Callas' proof because if anything it proves she could if she would.

*tommie/2/19

I was so excited for Call My Name in 2012. I had just gotten into Cheryl and Girls Aloud the previous year and I was giddy at the prospect of new music.

I really have no interest in this. I hope that changes.

I think she (and her team) has left it just the right amount of time to reverse the backlash she's faced for the last year or so.

Everyone seems to be back on board. Her time on The X factor will be the real 'test' though.

Why didn't Trey or some of the other dancers tell her the music wasn't right?
This proves she can sing live and dance!

Rmx

He/Him/His

She saved herself really well in that performance actually. Literally all the big pop girls have had their share of miming errors. And she's dancing for the Gods, unlike some other pop stars.

I never understand why this is used as an example of something embarrassing. The girl was planning to mime a song while properly throwing herself at some big choreography. The vocal track failed and as soon as she realised she toned the dancing down, came in live and sounded pretty damn good

That's why. She's a singer who's miming while she frumps about on stage. What's the point? It's really very basic why people say it's embarrassing and, no, she didn't come in live, the track started to work. She's still whispering under it.

(there's no such thing as live auto tune, by the way)

She actually sounds great when she starts doing it live after she realises. If you're gonna be caught miming, then that's the way to save it.

Or, just don't mime, then you won't get caught miming. Revolutionary idea.

Don't like the title but I really can't wait to hear this.

If there is, they aren't used in television. I've sat in live television galleries and sound booths hundreds of times as part of my profession. There is no auto-tune plug-in as television industry standard. It wouldn't be practical. Studio sound guys wouldn't have the time, inclination or training to operate it. And performers don't bring their own sound guys. People often sing live vocals that are turned down very low over a turned up 'backing vocal' (or even just lead vocal). Cheryl does this a lot or just straight up mimes, but she doesn't use a 'live auto tune'. And I've never witnessed first hand or seen a TV vocal performance by any artist where I've believed it to be used unless it's for a vocoder effect.

D

Deleted member 11652

Well I stand corrected then. Her voice sounds incredibly "fake" and robotic once she starts singing, regardless.

I think they played the wrong track. The drive they give to the sound operators will have a version with pre-recorded live vocals to mime to, and one with no lead vocal for when she does it live. She thought she was going to mime to the version with vocals but they played the other one. But she's plugged in anyway so she can 'sing along' to certain bits to make them seem more live and do shout outs etc. Good job she was really.

I'm no autotune geek, but I imagine you can actually use a certain software to program pitch correction that matches what you are about to sing to a beat. But it'd probably turn out very imprecise, since it would still rely on the performer's actual singing. Like good, old vocoders plugged to a synth and that kind of stuff.

I think they use Live Autotune for reality TV shows like Girlicious etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.