Christina Aguilera - 7th Album + Vegas Residency

She presented the Best Música Urbana Album Grammy with Maluma tonight to Karol G.

xtinagrammypresent.gif

I've been hammering Back to Basics lately. Really want a new album too!

I played Back to Basics again last night and honestly she did that. It's a shame she won't give this album much attention.

Ain't No Other Man
Understand
Slow Down Baby
Candyman
Oh Mother
Hurt
Without You
Makes Me Wanna Pray
Mercy On Me

I mean... my other faves truly could never. Stripped is her defining album for a reason - it deserves the title - but Back to Basics was so ambitious and she pulled it off so well and I wish she would recognize that it was the shit and give it some love.

I played Back to Basics again last night and honestly she did that. It's a shame she won't give this album much attention.

Ain't No Other Man
Understand
Slow Down Baby
Candyman
Oh Mother
Hurt
Without You
Makes Me Wanna Pray
Mercy On Me

I mean... my other faves truly could never. Stripped is her defining album for a reason - it deserves the title - but Back to Basics was so ambitious and she pulled it off so well and I wish she would recognize that it was the shit and give it some love.
While she will sadly never perform most of these again, she was using songs exclusively from Back To Basics for most of her social media posts late last year, if that is any consolation that she still remembers that it exists.

I guess the last time she was in Australia was for the Back To Basics Tour, so it probably reminded her.

I've always been under the impression that she's really proud of Back To Basics so it's kind of weird that it's not represented much in the setlists.

I've always been under the impression that she's really proud of Back To Basics so it's kind of weird that it's not represented much in the setlists.
I imagine she doesn't give it as much attention because her setlists have primarily been tailored towards Pride for the last 5 years. Outside of Ain't No Other Man & occasionally Candyman, she doesn't really consider the rest when coming up with a setlist. I also believe she doesn't like performing Hurt at all, having only whipped it out once since 2008. Maybe it being such a concept record in her head makes it harder to fit into her more pop songs, even though I know 100% of her fans would be thrilled to have Understand or Slow Down Baby tacked into her usual setlist.

but Back to Basics was so ambitious and she pulled it off so well
Ambitious is a perfect way to describe that album, and Christina in general - at least when she's at her best. Stripped, Back to Basics, Bionic... she was always willing to dive head first into whatever she was doing, from the music itself to the image she created along with each era. At times that resulted in her being called out as someone who had no core visual/musical identity, but looking back on her career as a whole, it has to be applauded that she was able to make such diverse records and big swings without ever feeling like she was doing cosplay. They all still feel very distinctly Christina.

I want that signature ambition back for her next record... just a complete deep-dive into whatever soundscape and visual identity she dreams up. She definitely still has it in her. She looks and sounds incredible right now, and if they can just shake off any commercial expectations and let her play, I think there's real possibility for another classic record or two from her.