Christina Aguilera - 7th Album + Vegas Residency

Watched the whole show on YouTube yesterday and was extremely underwhelmed. Whilst she looks and sounds incredible, the upload did not cut any interludes out etc and was complete start to finish in 58 minutes.

For someone this far into her career, that is shocking. I thought the X Tour and Aguilera Tour shows were short but this is even shorter.

The setlist is fun but I'd make a few changes. I'd rather she perform one of her eight songs from Burlesque than one of Cher's. And this show would have been a good opportunity to acknowledge Back to Basics exists outside Ain't No Other Man. But it looks pretty and she looks amazing.

Glam... doesn't translate live.

Wait... hardly a single one of these songs is performed for longer than 1:30??

Glam sounds / looks great to me (especially the way the band has enhanced the chorus) but it really needed a second chorus rather than segwaying into background talking music.

Personally think this looks awful.

The set-list is a bunch of half performed remixed songs, the melodies she deviates from so much that it could honestly be anything.

2024 and she still hasn’t just done a straight, solid, full performance of Your Body. Pick a song, any song.

Personally think this looks awful.

The set-list is a bunch of half performed remixed songs, the melodies she deviates from so much that it could honestly be anything.

2024 and she still hasn’t just done a straight, solid, full performance of Your Body. Pick a song, any song.
One thing about Xtine is that she will never sing a full song on tour, maybe except for Beautiful. She always opts to do her own adlibs, riffs and runs instead of singing the actual track. It's sad, but it's expected at this point.

A show lasting less than 90 minutes is a huge no for me, especially given what tickets cost these days.

Isn't this just a thing to do with the venue/style of the shows they're hosting? Kylie's show is similarly short.

Any idea why they'd mandate such short shows? What's the benefit of that for anyone involved (other than an artist who gets to be onstage for probably 40 minutes dd).

If it's her choice, it's even weirder. Add some longer interludes and perform a handful of songs in full. No one should be paying to see a show clock in under an hour.

he/him
A show lasting less than 90 minutes is a huge no for me, especially given what tickets cost these days.

Any idea why they'd mandate such short shows? What's the benefit of that for anyone involved (other than an artist who gets to be onstage for probably 40 minutes dd).

I was under the assumption that the ~experience~ happens throughout the evening, and you're not just attending a Kylie or Xtina show and they're essentially the cherry on top of the night. This was from MuuMuse's review of Kylie's show:

How does the show start?

About a half hour after we entered the venue, a handful of dancers in beaded wigs began striking a pose on the catwalk, occasionally prowling out into the crowd to shimmy and shake.

One performer actually came up to us at the railing, turned around and let their head down, as their beads accidentally plunged directly into someone’s drink in their hands. It’s just like Cats on Broadway. Kind of.

Anyway, settle in and get comfortable. You’re going to be there for a long time before Kylie actually appears.

Wait, what? Why?

Okay. So, the experience is being billed as an immersive night, with Kylie being a part of the night…

Explain further.

Whether there’s a headliner like Kylie or Christina Aguilera or not, Voltaire is centered around Belle de Nuit, a Parisian-style cabaret. There are four acts, then a DJ break, then four more acts before the special guest, followed by a DJ set.

The acts consist of one or a few dancers performing in different styles, like pole dancing, burlesque, aerial acrobatics, and muscle dudes lifting each other up in various configurations. (To no one’s surprise, this one drew the most attention from the 99.6% gay male crowd.)

And if there’s no headliner, Belle de Nuit is the star of the show that night. Then, a DJ carries the night through past 2 a.m.

Okay. So what happens in between the performances?

There is a MC, and…woof. She needs work, to put it kindly. She first announced to the crowd how the night would work – the whole performers, then Kylie, then DJ situation – and then introduced and outro-ed each performance act. It was just awkward. She would get back on the mic and say things like “Woo. Did you like that? Make some noise for them, Vegas. Woo.” We can lose all of that.

What does any of this have to do with Kylie?

I know. There’s an underlying tension, pun unintended, with the very premise of the night. It’s trying to be like an immersive cabaret, or a Studio 54 situation, with a special guest of the night. But everyone was very plainly there for Kylie. We all just want Kylie. We are dressed for Kylie. The dancers are all very talented and beautiful, but…flights were booked for Kylie. Around the sixth or seventh act, by around 11 p.m., a man loudly shouted from the general admission crowd: “We want Kylie!”

But then Kylie does eventually show up, right?

Yes, after about eight dance vignettes and two 20-minute DJ breaks, Kylie arrives to the stage around 11:15 p.m. and all is well.

One thing about Xtine is that she will never sing a full song on tour, maybe except for Beautiful. She always opts to do her own adlibs, riffs and runs instead of singing the actual track. It's sad, but it's expected at this point.

Any Beautiful live performance is practically unlistenable these days. She just growls an entirely different song. I’ve never seen a crowd more alienated than at the X Tour trying to sing along.

Isn't this just a thing to do with the venue/style of the shows they're hosting? Kylie's show is similarly short.
Leaving aside the rights and wrongs here, I can guarantee Kylie will do a full-scale tour more in keeping with the length of her career and depth of her back catalogue once this is all over. Can the same be said here?

I was under the assumption that the ~experience~ happens throughout the evening, and you're not just attending a Kylie or Xtina show and they're essentially the cherry on top of the night. This was from MuuMuse's review of Kylie's show:
Oh, weird. I wonder if people know what they're in for when purchasing tickets dd. I actually appreciate the idea of an immersive experience, but I don't get why the actual show needs to be so short.

Even so, he says Kylie does around 75-minutes... still too short for my liking, but better than 60 minutes. That's such an odd and low-key kind of rude choice to the fans flying in to see her.

he/him
Oh, weird. I wonder if people know what they're in for when purchasing tickets dd. I actually appreciate the idea of an immersive experience, but I don't get why the actual show needs to be so short.

Even so, he says Kyle does around 75-minutes... still too short for my liking, but better than 60 minutes. That's such an odd and low-key kind of rude choice to the fans flying in to see her.

I mean, if fans who go feel slighted then that's one thing – although I think it is known what this whole concept is meant to be when you buy tickets. But the upset from people I assume aren't going is funny to me, personally. I loved that lil hour long medley that I watched comfortably and for free from my bed. So thank you to that fan who went and filmed!

I kind of wish she had just done a residency dedicated to Bionic. This is a smaller venue so it seems more appropriate for that, plus that seems to be the album she has the most fun performing now. She's likely sick of the debut and Stripped and for whatever reason she won't give attention to Back to Basics. And let's be honest - no one is coming to Christina Aguilera to hear Lotus or Liberation. She could have just given Bionic the tour it never had and she'd not only have a lot of fun with it, but it removes any expectations from fans beyond hearing the Bionic tracks.

I mean, if fans who go feel slighted then that's one thing – although I think it is known what this whole concept is meant to be when you buy tickets. But the upset from people I assume aren't going is funny to me, personally. I loved that lil hour long medley that I watched comfortably and for free from my bed. So thank you to that fan who went and filmed!
I'm not sure who's supposed to be upset? My point was that if you're a Christina fan and this is your only chance to see her - as appears likely - it's a bit of a shabby deal. No skin in the game here as I've zero interest in Vegas for any reason.

he/him
I'm not sure who's supposed to be upset? My point was that if you're a Christina fan and this is your only chance to see her - as appears likely - it's a bit of a shabby deal. No skin in the game here as I've zero interest in Vegas for any reason.

If @BEST FICTION can manage to see her in the pouring rain in Australia, then I'm sure there will be plenty more chances to see her in the future for international fans, seeing as she's more or less been performing and touring regularly since 2018. It's not like someone like Janet where there's zero chance she'll be coming to the EU/UK. Could the show be 15 minutes longer? Of course. But I'd love to be in a venue that intimate with one of my faves, regardless if they're performing for 45 minutes or 3 hours. Would love to hear from fans who end up going and if they felt it was worth it in the end.