Christina Milian - Why was she dropped?

It doesnt make sense to me how Christina Milians been dropped after her 3rd album, which has sold over 500,000 copies worldwide, and is still floating around the Billboard top 200?? Say I was also fairly successful...

And what confuses me even more is that her 2nd album sold 350,000 worldwide after all its commercial releases....if she was gonna get dropped why not then?

What are peoples opinions on this? I think its a bit of a shame...

B

bunxer

Basically because she never did that well in America and also LA was mega annoyed at her first rejecting SOS and then deciding to do the whole album with her boyfriend.

was it just me who thought her last single was a tad unbelieveable? the irony that she sings about keepin it gangta when in real life the girl is cleaner than marie osmonds tampon

drock689 said:
her albums are heavily promoted and she has a media presence but she can't sell records.

It's not that simple. She doesnt have a great promo team, she is always underlooked, specially with this album. She had near to zero promo with 'Say I' and the promo for the album was held with performances in shows such as 'The Tyra Banks Show' which has a really significant shitty audience.

She cant sell records but IMO it's mainly because she didnt have a label on her back to support, I think this time around it was mainly because she refused S.O.S and decided to make a too 'hard urban' album with Dr. Dre and pissed LA Reid off. And they just decided to make her way to flop real hard and just have an excuse to let her go

It wasn't the Dr. Dre she worked with I do believe, just another producer called Dre, but otherwise Baby Jane is correct... I don't think she had that much promo to be honest either, plus it is clear she wasn't much of a priority for her label when they had Rihanna to deal with.

it's really sad that this artist, who I don't really care for, but respect and see as talented, get's dropped, when the talentless black-hole known as Paris Hilton, get's more praise than ever.

POP INJUSTICE!

Ronald Parisi said:
it's really sad that this artist, who I don't really care for, but respect and see as talented, get's dropped, when the talentless black-hole known as Paris Hilton, get's more praise than ever.

But Paris isn't pretending to be somethign she's not. Her songs are vacuous and fluffy, sound hugely familiar and she doesn't even bother getting her voice tuned up too much.

The Milian, on the other hand, expects us to believe that she is, indeed, "gangsta" and then appears in a Jessica Simpson video. It doesn't fit and the public see through it.

what i see is the milian;s album was tooooo hip hop and hardcare she tried to go for the urban crowd too much, she is suppose to be the new age paula abdul, so dat aint work.

i can be that woman, a bonus track on "its about time" has anyone heard this track was def. ace could have been a good kylie minogue track! very electro pop

it was cool & dre she did 'say i' with, and alot of the rest of the album.

i didnt know she rejeceted SOS - what a knob! but whats even more stupid is why the someone like LA Reid, who is a bigger than most of his artists, certainly Christina Millian, lets her decide what goes on her album.

she's not an established artist, and personally i feel she has only had one top song (dip it low).

same story as many of our Uk artists, Ms Dynamite, Daniel Beddingfield to name a few big ones. They think they can do it all themselves, but its thier A&R people that help make the first album and with both these acts, the first albums were huge sucsess', then they get all big for thier boots and decide they know best and want to write thier whole albuma nd chose the track listing and the singles - why???????????????

chrisitna millian is a star, but she's an all round entertainer for me, and by no means a gangsta girl!! she's not even black.

She was dropped because three albums in, the record buying public still felt absolutely no connection with an artist who, for the greater part of her 'career', produced what can only be described as bad a-sides that should have been b-sides. You need a killer tune every now and again to survive and there was disctinct dearth of those or, indeed, anything remotely interesting about her.

S

someboy0716

They should have released the song, "So Amazing" as the first single, its ace.

It's simple.
Have you heard Say I it's brilliant without the rap vocal whihc makes no sense going on about the streets some ex who wants half and his nephew walking for the first time (I believe the rap is by Redman)

It has absoultly nothing to do with the song and puts the song into as my brother and I call it "Shit-hop" territory.

You call rent a rapper syndrome and the public see through that no you don't come from the streets and I bet you Redman doesn't anymore.

So why is the rap in the song
To try and sell this pop song to an urban community well I believe that it ends up being Bastardised between the two camps because of it and therefore appeals to no-one

Why is everyone saying she doesnt sell records? So Amazin has sold more than her last album - 500,000 - which is a lot of albums, really.

Loads of artists are considered successful for selling a quarter of that amount, lets be honest...

maybe the fact she only released 5 tracks [on her own] from 3 albums.

But yes, I adore "I Could Be That Woman"

Christina Milian is fucking awesome, and the record execs are stupid for not having faith in her. She could be the black Britney right now, if tracks like "so amazin" or "hotboy" were released with top notch videos like "dip it low" she'd be #1.. She's got the talent and the songs, they just need to get over the urban shit. And S.O.S. isn't a song for her, and I'm glad she passed on it.

I thought she was much better when she first arrived on the scene. "AM To PM" and "When You Look At Me" were very poppy, and in my opinion her best tracks and a good direction to stay in.

Also, remember when she first came out her hype story was that she wrote "Play" for J.Lo, does she sing on the track too? Everytime I hear it the chorus just sounds like Christina.

Ronald Parisi said:

POP INJUSTICE!
Get off your fucking high horse re: Paris Hilton please. Seriously. If you don't like her then fine, then just get the fuck over it.
I think it's a pity Christina Milian hasn't done better. She's very likeable, she just seems to lack a good run of killer tunes.
Pity. Though I like the look of that trashy horror movie she's doing with Kristen Bell.