CHRIStine and the Queens RATE [#6] | Page 13 | The Popjustice Forum

CHRIStine and the Queens RATE [#6]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by NecessaryVoodoo, Feb 3, 2019.

1. I was going to say the same thing. I forgot it was even still here. It's not exactly top 20 material.

berserkboi and slaybellz like this.
  2. 2014

2014 Moderator

I love Safe And Holy! I literally don't know how the rest of the results are going to go...

berserkboi and Verandi like this.
  3. Safe and Holy is top5 material for people with taste.

berserkboi likes this.
  4. As long as my 11 and back up 11 make the Top 10 - I think I am fine with cutting whatever at the stage...

5. quatorze / 14

[​IMG]

Nuit 17 à 52 / Night 52

average score: 8.133
    highest scorers: 10 x 4 (@beyoncésweave, @klow, @Michael17, @soratami) 9.6 x 1 (@berserkboi)
    lowest scorers: 5 x 1 (@Aidan) 6 x 2 (@Hurricane Drunk, @The Hot Rock)

If ever there was a case for preferring Chris' French originals to the English remakes, Nuit 17 à 52 makes one of the strongest. And before you all start @-ing me, I know there's already English in the original too. There's just something particularly clunky about the translation of Night 52 that's a bit jarring to these ears. Either way... the song tells the story of a doomed relationship as it progresses over 52 nights culminating in a breakup, with Chris sadly sighing that she dreads night 53 because she knows it will be over. She wrote the song in 2012 and it originally appeared on the EP of the same name. While all the elements of the demo-ish sounding first version carried over, it was completely rerecorded for Chaleur humaine and ended up better because of it.

A black & white music video was released for the EP version of the song filmed in a Parisian hotel room and, inspired by Cindy Sherman's work, features Chris as all four characters.

"Though the beat seems to be improved in the English version I can't help but feel the original French version is head and shoulders above the English version." - @Sprockrooster

"Interessant Il faut dire." - @berserkboi

"INVENTED numeracy! (can you tell I was struggling for commentary on this one? it’s...fine)." - @constantino

"Stunning. Perhaps her best chorus. Goosebump-inducing." - @Michael17

"Loves with expiration dates are a thing, I guess. I love that it teases a sad ballad at the beginning, but then the piano chord changes and… we’re bopping? Take me on a trip, Heloise!" - @Trinu 3.0

"Ballads don’t really do much for me but it was cute when I seen her perform it live." - @Aidan

"One of the more intimate moments on the album and it's always done the trick for me. As someone who's nearing 36 my lifestyle can still somehow be described as that of a young 22 year old. I have had nights in where I got anxiety from just sitting at home, coming to terms with the fact it's okay to stay in once in a while." - @Remorque

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    RUNAWAY, Sprockrooster, Eric and 7 others like this.
  6. This rate made me rediscover this song. I had forgotten how good it was.

7. [​IMG]
    Scream at me getting to reuse this gif again for the second rate running. Alexa, play Recyclage by Zazie.

8. treize / 13

[​IMG]

Paradis Perdus

average score: 8.152
    highest scorers: 11 x 2 (@Eric, @Trinu 3.0) 10 x 6 (@Ana Raquel, @berserkboi, @LE0Night, @NecessaryVoodoo, @soratami, @Sprockrooster)
    lowest scorers: 3 x 1 (@Aidan), 5 x 1 (@slaybellz)

(@2014 gave it a 6.5)

So this is a pretty seamless mashup right? Chaleur humaine single Paradis Perdus takes verses from shapeshifting French pop singer Christophe's 1973 Jean-Michel Jarre co-write, the sprawling and grandiose Les Paradis Perdus, and bridges them with a line borrowed from Kanye West's Heartless. It shouldn't work, but it really does. While the lyrics take more from Christophe's original, the production is closer to Kanye's 808's & Heartbreaks—being built from not much more than a drum beat, percussion and some subtle strings—while an understated and delicate vocal performance from Chris is the icing on the cake. Just masterful all around.

A music video for the song was released and features Chris sitting in a chair wearing a pale pink suit that slowly grows in size until it completely engulfs her body.

"A visceral emotional reaction just tipped this over the edge to be my 11. Just adorable." - @Eric

"The ripper of hearts.
    I remember listening to this song for the first time and having to stop what I was doing because I knew something great was happening and I didn’t want to miss it. The production is somewhat simple, but it’s proof that you don’t need a full orchestra to create a great ballad.

The combination of costumbrismo and pleading in the lyrics is a great way of representing the shock of sudden heartbreak. One that leaves you numb and just barely able to recognise what it’s around you while you’re trying to remember and make sense of things.

After much consideration, I have to give it my 11." - @Trinu 3.0

"A wonderfully atmospheric mashup of two already fantastic songs. Héloïse fantastically captures that feeling of loss of love like only a handful of her peers can." - @Remorque

"This elevates Heartless to an amazing track in retrospect. The sheer talent at display here." - @Sprockrooster

"Liked this one a lot, including the Kanye interpolation. These slower songs are really coming through." - @The Hot Rock

"This tender mid-tracklist momenT of artistry. Kanye found dead." - @constantino

"Heartless aged terribly and Kanye can honestly choke, so kudos to Chris for making this bearable somehow. I wouldn't have chosen this as a single but I suppose it did his job in France." - @Verandi

"Encore de la poèsie." - @berserkboi

"I never understood the appeal of this song. It’s pretty but too slow. One I always skip." - @Michael17

"I found this really boring." - @Aidan

9. Kinda happy it didn't touch the top10 honestly, especially after out-ranking Safe And Holy.

10. BAC1C35D-4DD8-460A-8215-D257C214FF04.jpeg

Eric and Verandi like this.
  11. SCREAM I didn't see it was your 11 sorry sis x
    Also my 11 crashed and burned out of the top20 so you win anyway.

12. I'm surprised my 11 is still hanging around! I rarely see anyone talk about it (either positively or negatively). Maybe it'll fly under the radar a bit longer?

slaybellz likes this.
  13. I'd usually agree on being too slow but the Heartless part won me over.

14. The Heartless part is what made me give it such a low score.

2014 and Verandi like this.
  15. Let's finally get to the Top 10 today shall we?

douze / 12

[​IMG]

Goya ! Soda ! / Goya Soda

average score: 8.210
    highest scorers: 10 x 2 (@Aidan, @soratami) 9.5 x 1 (@LE0Night)
    lowest scorers: 5 x 1 (@NecessaryVoodoo) 6.5 x 1 (@Remorque)

Some of y'all bout to be real mad at me but it must be said...

As the high scores for Chris album track Goya ! Soda ! came in I was a bit baffled to be honest. It's always been probably my least essential song on the album, a bit of a throwaway sandwiched in between the much better 5 dols and Follarse, and in doing this write up my opinion on it hasn't really changed I'm afraid.

In writing the song Chris came up with the couplet of Goya and soda while on tour and liked how it sounded and needed to come up with a story and song to go along with it. So taking inspiration from one of the Spanish artist's most famous works, Saturn Devouring His Son, she came up with the idea of a man passively drinking a soda in a museum while viewing this macabre scene. Speaking to Pitchfork about the story she created she said, "I was like, “Who could drink a soda?” Well, a young man of course, an ungrateful brat! He could be in the museum with me, so I would pay his ticket and pay for the soda, because I’m a little kid trying to make myself lovable. The triangle of me watching the guy watching the painting, and the guy laughing at the painting, and me being infuriated by my desire for him, because I’m infuriated by his behaviour but at the same time I do want him, starts a loop of who looks at what and for what and who wants to eat who and for what?"

"The bridge in this is sublime, god." - @The Hot Rock

"Gregorian chants? On my PopJustice? Only because it's you queen." - @Verandi

"Toujours tres Bien mais rien contre la competition des 9+" - @berserkboi

"This is so glittery and nocturnal (read: ‘gay’). We love an artist who makes even the verses of a song an event, she certainly didn’t always do that" - @constantino

"Unique and very complex. Not my favorite, but it is very interesting and truly artistic." - @Michael17

"If the Museo Nacional del Prado doesn’t blast this song in their halls at some point, they’re idiots. Saturn eating his son in song form. Yas." - @Trinu 3.0

pop3blow2, berserkboi, 2014 and 3 others like this.
  16. onze / 11

[​IMG]

Science fiction

average score: 8.267
    highest scorers: 10 x 1 (@Verandi) 9.6 x 1 (@berserkboi)
    lowest scorers: 6 x 2 (@Ana Raquel, @slaybellz) 7 x 2 (@beyoncésweave, @CorgiCorgiCorgi)

[​IMG]

Literally just missing out on a spot (by .033 of a point in fact) in the top 10 is Chaleur humaine cut Science fiction. Another song from the debut that in my opinion really didn't need an English translation. Especially when the song is changed so much between the two. Instead of all those wonderful celestial references of the original, in the English version we get Chris struggling to write lyrics that fit and don't get me started on that clunky chorus that namedrops M*chael J*ckson and Freddie Mercury. Ugh anyway at least that fizzing, bouncy instrumental made it over unscathed along with the lyrics she sings in Italian.

In creating Science Fiction, Chris' annotations for the song on Genius reveal some very specific reference points. They include Love Machine, the 1977 disco single by Austrian band Supermax and 1973 French/Czech animated film La Planète sauvage and its score.

"Whew the production in this. All this micro beats going along and exploding here and there. Whew. Also yes Italian blood etc but I didn't realise she was singing in Italian too till I read the lyrics (the accents are all over the place but that's why I like it, I usually despise my own language)." - @Verandi

"I love sci-fi feeling pop music. A good companion to Shura's Nothings Real tbh." - @The Hot Rock

"C.M.O.N. PRODUCTION" - @Sprockrooster

"Kinda wonky, in the best ways." - @pop3blow2

"Étrange mais très bien." - @berserkboi

"This groove, whew! I love Girlfriend’s older sister, you know, the one that used to babysit you and let you stay up late to watch Gossip Girl? Very that." - @constantino

"Excellent, but definitely an “album track”. Nice and rhythmic." - @Michael17

"A silky jam." - @Aidan

"I think we've all been in a situation where we feel certain things for another person, but you're not allowed to express them in public. Héloïse does a fantastic job in expressing that feeling in this spacey and synthy semi-bop." - @Remorque

"I can’t help but think of Yelle when I listen to this. It sounds so silly and I don’t get the lyrics, but it makes me bop hard so yay." - @Trinu 3.0

pop3blow2, berserkboi, 2014 and 3 others like this.
  17. top 10

chaleur humaine / christine and the queens

[​IMG]

iT
    Saint Claude
    Christine / Tilted
    Science fiction
    Paradis perdus
    Half Ladies
    Chaleur humaine
    Narcissus Is Back
    Ugly-pretty
    Nuit 17 à 52 / Night 52
    Here
    No Harm Is Done (feat. Tunji Ige)

Intranquillité
    Amazoniaque
    Safe and Holy
    Jonathan (feat. Perfume Genius)

chris

[​IMG]

Comme si on s'aimait / Comme si
    Damn, dis-moi (feat. Dâm-Funk) / Girlfriend (feat. Dâm-Funk)
    La Marcheuse / The Walker
    Doesn't matter (voleur de soleil) / Doesn't Matter
    5 dols / 5 dollars
    Goya ! Soda ! / Goya Soda
    Follarse / Damn (What Must a Woman Do)

Machin-chose / What's-Her-Face
    Feel So Good
    Bruce est dans le brouillard
    Le G
    Les yeux mouillés/ Make Some Sense
    L'Étranger (voleur d'eau) / The Stranger

les extras

[​IMG]

Distance [The Name feat. Christine and the Queens]
    Wasteland [The Name feat. Christine and the Queens]
    Twist of Fate [from the Miséricorde EP]
    Be Freaky [from the Miséricorde EP]
    Kiss My Crass [from the Miséricorde EP]
    Drifter [from the Mac Abbey EP]

The Loving Cup [from the Nuit 17 à 52 EP]
    Starshipper [from the Nuit 17 à 52 EP]
    Wandering Lovers [from the Nuit 17 à 52 EP]
    Photos Souvenirs [from the Nuit 17 à 52 EP]
    3 A.M. [Twinsmatic feat. Christine and the Queens]
    Second 2 None [Mura Masa feat. Christine and the Queens]

So there you have it! Any surprises? Before I start revealing the top 10, let's have your ideal order of the songs that are left.

18. Comme Si does not deserve a place in the top 10

Verandi likes this.
  19. 10. Comme si on s'aimait / Comme si
    9. 5 dols / 5 dollars
    8. Intranquillité
    7. Saint Claude
    6. Machin-chose / What's-Her-Face
    5. iT
    4. Christine / Tilted

And then... what's this? A three-way tie for first place??

1. Doesn't matter (voleur de soleil) / Doesn't Matter
    1. Damn, dis-moi (feat. Dâm-Funk) / Girlfriend (feat. Dâm-Funk)
    1. La Marcheuse / The Walker

berserkboi likes this.
  20. I'm... disgusted. Even more so because my 11 could have made Science Fiction reach the top10

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.