CHRIStine and the Queens RATE [#6] | Page 14 | The Popjustice Forum

CHRIStine and the Queens RATE [#6]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by NecessaryVoodoo, Feb 3, 2019.

1. "Comme si on s'aimait" is Top 5 material so ya'll can simmer down.

2. 2014

2014 Moderator

1 Doesn't Matter
    2 Girlfriend
    3 Tilted
    4 5 Dollars
    5 Saint Claude
    6 The Walker
    7 iT
    8 Intranquillite
    9 Comme Si
    10 What's Her Face

xx

berserkboi likes this.
  3. dix / 10

[​IMG]

Machin-chose / What's-Her-Face

average score: 8.300
    highest scorers: 10 x 6 (@constantino, @NecessaryVoodoo, @soratami, @Sprockrooster, @The Hot Rock, @Trinu 3.0) 9.7 x 1 (@berserkboi)
    lowest scorers: 6 x 4 (@Ana Raquel, @Hurricane Drunk, @Michael17, @Verandi) 6.5 x 1 (@Remorque)

The general vibe and themes of Machin-chose makes me wonder if it was a song Chris began writing while recording Chaleur humaine that didn't get finished in time for the debut. A moody and atmospheric reflection that no matter how old you get or how many years have passed, it can be very hard to shake feelings of being different or the ostracism that can come with the cruelness of the school playground. An unfortunately pretty universal experience for a lot of us, I'm sure. Expanding on that point, Chris talked more about the songs themes and creation in the Pitchfork article breaking down each song on the album:

"No matter what you eventually become—free, empowered—the lingering feeling of “once an outsider, always an outsider” is very vivid for me. It’s like a wound that sometimes wakes up and bleeds, even when something really small happens—a side-eye, a feeling of betrayal. It’s about the idea that a trauma can also be a full part of your story. It’s about giving some justice to that story, even though it’s not a triumphant one, because owning it makes the pain less absurd. I worked around a really bare production with a heavy, pulsing bass and some ghostly vocals that build around the main lead, as if to build the sad emergence of a memory. I recorded the ending vocal in one take, trying to emulate the feeling of crying from the inside."

"Love the echoing vocals in this one a lot. Great night time vibes." - @The Hot Rock

"(More commentary recycling, but I'd like my thoughts!) Very confessional starkness to this song. Reminds me of the show Sharp Objects. It stirs the same feelings & parts of the lyrics even remind of some of the plot points in that show." - @pop3blow2

"La construction EST superbe" - @berserkboi

"I am a sucker for songs about pain, and this is no exception. It’s surprising to hear her using these sombre tones, when other songs about serious topics are much livelier.
    I guess remembering the defenceless of childhood didn’t invite her to put a beat on this one and reading the lyrics it’s understandable. Feeling invisible is such a hurtful and damaging sensation is hard to shake off. Even years after."
    - @Trinu 3.0

"THIS is how you do a down-tempo; dark, searing and viscerally emotive. This paints a vivid picture of isolation and frustration, set in a rainy, cold Parisian night...look, Miss Chrissy inspiring me to become some kinda Poet Laureate-ass bitch, her power!" - @constantino

"Doesn’t hold my attention at all. Nicely written, but it’s basically background music for me." - @Michael17

4. neuf / 9

[​IMG]

Intranquillité

average score: 8.510
    highest scorers: 11 x 2 (@Aidan, @NecessaryVoodoo) 10 x 4 (@Ana Raquel, @constantino, @Remorque, @Trinu 3.0)
    lowest scorers: 5 x 1 (@Hurricane Drunk) 6 x 1 (@Sprockrooster)

I'm running out of superlatives to describe why I love Chris and her music so much, so for the absolute banger which I (and @Aidan, taste!) awarded my 11 to, I'm just going to link to this again:

[​IMG]

A performance! Intranquillité first appeared as part of a double 7" single for R*cord S*ore D*ay 2015 in France, which of course now commands eye watering prices secondhand, before thankfully ending up on the collectors edition of Chaleur humaine. Could you imagine if this had ended up as some sort of vinyl-only curio. A nightmare... literally a nightmare!

Chris took the title of the song after reading a French translation of Portuguese writer Fernando Pessoa's The Book of Disquiet (Livro do Desassossego in Portuguese, Le Livre de l'Intranquillité in French). In a nod to Pessoa's original text, the chorus is punctuated by a male voice which plays with the word desassossego which is a nice touch. The lyrics once again relate to adolescence with Chris describing the song as being about, "a lost youth, who does not know where to throw his violence, his impulses."

"The first time I heard this song live was during her tour at Usher Hall in Edinburgh. I was blown away by the way she commanded the crowd and had everyone going crazy for it as she worked her way through to the crowd to the stage, (she was like 2 feet away from me). And then I discovered her live performance and the way she danced and sang the song just elevated it for me even more in ways I didn’t think was possible." - @Aidan

"This is a fucking BOP! The ‘warm disco’ trend found ROTTING, Miss Christine went full-on Susanne Bartsch, whew! This absolutely should have been on the main album, it NEEDED a lightning rod like this." - @constantino

"Reminds me of Imagine It Was Us by Jessie Ware, which is a good thing." - @Verandi

"If you listen to this song and don’t feel your scalp being torn apart, you are probably already bald and that’s sad, huh. I am baffled that this was “just” a bonus track and not one of the lead singles of the campaign. It’s just all sorts of epic. Thanks to the queer gods for that performance at Les Victoires, cause really showed how she just needs a mic to put on A Show. Big girls found making cuts." - @Trinu 3.0

"I really like the underlying beat" - @Eric

"Jolie mais pas le meilleur ici" - @berserkboi

"My favorite on this album. A real contender for my 11 as well." - @Ana Raquel

"Smooth & sorta jazzy bop. This is cool." - @pop3blow2

"For some reason, I find this disappointing, but I don’t know why. I like the idea, but I think her voice is a bit too shrill and the beat is somewhat dull after a while. Still, anything with a house influence is just automatically cool." - @Michael17

"Oui, soeur, let's pair some house influences with classical music instruments and bop along. Seriously, this has been a fantastic discovery for me!" - @Remorque

5. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

6. But let’s recognise talent

7. Don't think this song deversed to be in top 10 to be honest. Sorry to the 11 givers.

soratami likes this.
  8. I didn't know Intranquilité was inspired by Fernando Pessoa, that's pretty cool. It was my least favourite in the top 10 though so not mad it's out.

Machin-chose deserved a bit better but I'm happy it made it this far at least, I was afraid it'd miss the top 10.

berserkboi and slaybellz like this.
  9. huit / 8

[​IMG]

Comme si on s'aimait / Comme Si

average score: 8.619
    highest scorers: 10 x 6 (@beyoncésweave, @klow, @LE0Night, @Remorque, @slaybellz, @Trinu 3.0) 9.2 x 1 (@berserkboi)
    lowest scorers: 6 x 1 (@Aidan) 7 x 3 (@Sprockrooster, @The Hot Rock, @Verandi)

As far as setting the scene for her second album, Comme si on s'aimait is pretty much the perfect opener. Chris wanted to make it very clear that this was going to be a much more expansive affair than the more insular bedroom pop of Chaleur humaine, so what less subtle way to start the album than with the goddamn THX sound? As to what the song is about, she says it, "is a carnal call for sensuality and a call to dissolve as a way to exist and mend. It’s also a love song to the pop song format that changed my life, because with music I got to be who I wanted to be."

Inspired by the character of Ophelia from Shakespeare's Hamlet and John Everett Millais' painting, Chris jetted off to Thailand with director David Wilson to film a music video. Taking the story of Ophelia she wanted a video that would "undo that tragic ending, cheat death, if you will. Let's bring Ophelia back from the dead, to express her desire and madness with exhilaration, as something that elevates her, instead of pushing her to the shores of death."

"What a fucking fantastic opener. The Prince-like production flourishes that cover all of the song are what won me over here. It sounds deliciously 80s and I'm living." - @Remorque

"A solid opening track. French version is superior by a large margin, the chorus in the english version feels off." - @The Hot Rock

"Très plaisant" - @berserkboi

"An opener! She really came in hot, huh? Not the crowning moment of the album by any means, but an excellent taster of what is to come. This doesn’t snatch my wig necessarily, but is most definitely pops the lace and knocks out a few pins." - @constantino

"The opening is basically the THX intro and is already telling us that this album is going to blow us away. And what a song to start with. An anthem to just dancing and being carefree and playing her once again. Which I have. Plenty!" - @Trinu 3.0

"Very straight-forward pop done very well. Not particularly ground-breaking, but very crisp and well-produced. An impressive start." - @Michael17

"One of the weaker songs on Chris. I just don’t really feel a connection to it but it’s cute." - @Aidan

pop3blow2, soratami, RUNAWAY and 5 others like this.
  10. Imagine thinking this isn't one of the best songs on the album! The low scorers clearly listened to the English versions otherwise I don't understand.

At least it made Top 10, so I can't be too mad.

11. 2014

2014 Moderator

[​IMG]

a LQQK

12. Machin-chose and Comme Si should have gone long ago. Safe And Holy and Science Fiction are just superior songs.

13. Girlfriend can go next.

14. We're finally into 9+ average territory and every song from here on out received at least 11, so these are gonna sting... (for those lucky enough to still have their 11 songs still in the running, that is)

sept / 7

[​IMG]

La Marcheuse / The Walker

average score: 9.015
    highest scorers: 11 x 2 (@CorgiCorgiCorgi, @soratami) 10 x 5 (@Eric, @LE0Night, @NecessaryVoodoo, @Remorque, @The Hot Rock)
    lowest scorers: 7 x 2 (@Aidan, @Sprockrooster) 7.5 x 1 (@Ana Raquel)

La Marcheuse was the fourth single to be released from Chris and is one of the more atmospheric numbers to be found on the album. Backed by an ominous sounding bassline, simple drum loop and crystalline synth flourishes, Chris says the song is about, "the audacity of someone wounded. The idea that by exposing the wounds, you actually tell your story and you can hurl yourself against violence before you get killed by it."

Namedropping Perfume Genius as inspiration again when talking to Pitchfork about La Marcheuse, she intentionally kept the production spartan to allow the words to be the focus saying, "sometimes it’s badass to allow yourself to be extremely vulnerable and blunt. I think of someone like Perfume Genius, who is indestructible because he’s so brutally honest."

Again, it probably goes without saying at this point but I much prefer the French version of the song. Even from the jump there's just something more poetic about the lyric je vais marcher très longtemps vs. the rather basic sounding I am out for a walk.

Chris gave a mesmeric performance of the song at the 2018 NRJ awards in Cannes, wearing the matador-inspired outfit from the music video. As she sang alone on stage highlighted by just one spotlight, smoke slowly crept out from beneath her jacket which created a really stunning effect. Sadly I can't post the performance because NRJ haven't uploaded it to YouTube and it's geoblocked on their site so you'll have to make do with a photo that's still pretty cool looking, but it was even more spellbinding in motion.

[​IMG]

"Such a haunting, gorgeous song. I don’t think it’s the song I listen to the most, but it’s the song that hits me the hardest." - @CorgiCorgiCorgi

"An ethereal classic. This makes me feel like the gif of Pooh floating through the ceiling and off into the sky." - @The Hot Rock

"This is perfect in every sense of the word. The production suits the lyrical content to a fucking tee and the video tipped it over the edge. Perfect, I say!" - @Remorque

"Would have been a great closing track." - @Verandi

"Calme et superbe." - @berserkboi

"Finally, something for US, the skinnies. The droning production gives this a real sense of momentum, get me off my sofa and moving, legend!" - @constantino

"At first I didn’t pay attention to the lyrics and I thought this was some sort of love song. But it’s about being beaten up? Reading more into it, sounds like a hymn to keep doing you even when the fists come at you. I love that it’s not a song that sounds sad by itself (it has a proper rhythm and everything), because feeling sorry for ourselves is too 2008." - @Trinu 3.0

"At first I thought the pace was too slow, and I just didn’t get it, but it clicked for me. Extremely elegant. There’s a sincerity to her voice here that I can’t describe. The English version sounds like she’s just reaching for words to fill space sometimes and is discardable." - @Michael17

15. You know what? Seventh place is further than I thought it would go. So I'm fine with this!

soratami and berserkboi like this.
  16. 2014

2014 Moderator

quoi???????

slaybellz likes this.
  17. Just enough time before Eurovision to squeeze another elimination in and this one seems appropriate... given Iceland's representatives this year.

[​IMG]

six / 6

[​IMG]

5 dols / 5 Dollars

average score: 9.143
    highest scorers: 11 x 2 (@pop3blow2, @slaybellz) 10 x 7 (@Aidan, @berserkboi, @constantino, @LE0Night, @Michael17, @Sprockrooster, @Trinu 3.0)
    lowest scorers: 7 x 1 (@Ana Raquel) 7.5 x 2 (@Hurricane Drunk, @NecessaryVoodoo)

5 Dollars from Chris was released as the third single from the album and according to Chris came out of, "intense listening sessions of Bruce Springsteen". Specifically she praised "the limpidity of [his] melodies--they feel like clean water." Another reference point for the song was Arthur Russell and his talent to convey both joy and sadness at the same time in his music, "I wanted to do the classic cool pop song that makes you want to cry but is also happy".

With the song literally being about paying for sex, for the music video she wanted to do a take on Paul Schrader's 1980 film American Gigolo and again worked with French director Colin Solal Cardo to bring what she called her "twist" on the Richard Gere-fronted movie.

In a rare reversal, I (and from your commentary, most of you!) think that the English version of the song is the superior here with the lack of an extra syllable to cinq dols sounding a bit awkward.

"There’s so much to love here. The lyrics work on so many levels. They sound both like a very direct exprereince, but are written in a very ambiguous voice that make them very versatile for your own experiences. The actual music track is sorta nervous & stuttering in a way. It adds a level of anxiety to the song for me. The whole thing is a mini-masterpiece." - @pop3blow2

"Very nice. Almost suffers a bit from following the string of Damn, dis-moi, La Marcheuse, and Doesn't Matter but not every song can be a 10 (or 11)." - @The Hot Rock

"Adoring the piano and big shoutout to the music video." - @Sprockrooster

"Keeps getting better and better every listen!" - @berserkboi

"‘Cinq Dols’ outsold tbh. The hook is such an earworm, the kind that makes you wanna shout ‘FIVE DOOOOO-HO-HOOO-LAAAARRRRSS!’ at strangers. This feels like a more realised version of the sounds she explored on her Chaleur humaine." - @constantino

"Some of us just had to fight
    For even being looked at right

Enough said. It’s basically the song I think about when I go into the library every afternoon thinking that I might not have a social life, but I’m earning some money while I BS the hours away in this forrem! Also, the video is GORGEOUS and has made me reconsider my sexuality… a lot." - @Trinu 3.0

"Absolutely brilliant. The best song on Chris and a contender for my 11. Much prefer the English version because the harmony needs that extra syllable to close the chorus; it really throws me off in the French version. Beautifully layered and constructed." - @Michael17

"This one actually took some time to grow on me. I was fully immersed in the 80s sound that makes up the first songs of the Chris album, yet this finally opened itself up to me in being even more 80s sounding than those obvious first cuts. So net yet a 10, but will definitely grow into one." - @Remorque

"We love our BDSM queen. Also one of the songs where the English version is better than the French version." - @Aidan

[​IMG]

Vote for Hatrið mun sigra unless you're reading this on catchup, in which case don't vote or you may still be charged. Full terms and conditions available at eurovision.tv

18. Stan our anti-capitalist winner of Eurovision 2019

19. [​IMG]

Aidan likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.