Christmas Number One 2009

• Thread starter Former member 330
  • Start date
F

Former member 330

Sorry to mention the C word so early but obviously, X Factor will be hoping to nab the number 1 spot yet again. Is anyone else sick of this? It's so mundane and predictable... it'll be some god awful ballad with a montage video of the winners journey. Again. Yawn.

I hope and pray a rouge act steals the thunder. I hope a Michael Jackson re-release occurs and totally f*cks with the X Factor plan. Or even a CHRISTMAS song being number 1, not just some TV favourite we've had force-fed for 20 weeks.

I'd appreciate people releasing Christmassy/wintery songs, but not directly referencing Christmas. An epic, pop ballad.

In other words, I'd like another 2 Become 1 or Too Much.

Even if La Roux were not to get the Number 1 spot, they should still release Cover My Eyes to carry on in the wonderful vein of the Sugababes 1.0 of releasing devastating songs around Christmas.

F

Former member 330

cleggar said:
I'd appreciate people releasing Christmassy/wintery songs, but not directly referencing Christmas. An epic, pop ballad.

In other words, I'd like another 2 Become 1 or Too Much.

Yes, that would do. I prefered it when we had a huge band, like Spice Girls, who were guarenteed to be number 1 but that's alright because they're actually a pop act and not TV stars. When I hear '2 Become 1', I am reminded of that year, that Christmas, etc. but X Factor releases just sound so awful once the show is over... it's like an advert for the show, a promotional reel of all the guff we sat through during that years winter season. As long as it's twinkly, a little sentimental, or fun and dare I say it, a bit of a novelty, I'll be happy. No teary-eyed, rags to riches, "Oh my God, I've come so far and you've all helped, I love you all so much", rubbish.

multimediac17

I really hate the X Factor dominating it every year, they're fucking up a tradition. It used to be exciting and unpredictable, now the whole thing is ruined because every year we can just assume it will be X Factor. They should release the week before or the week after and stop being cunts.

I'd be quite happy to see All I Want For Christmas Is You the Christmas number 1 absolutely every year.

I actually thought Hallelujah was a brilliant Christmas number 1.

(Too Much was deeply shit, by the way. A Poundstretcher retake of the great 2 Become 1.)

F

Former member 330

Maureen said:
I'd be quite happy to see All I Want For Christmas Is You the Christmas number 1 absolutely every year.

(Too Much was deeply shit, by the way. A Poundstretcher retake of the great 2 Become 1.)

I disagree. 'Too Much' reminds me of a million things and was a good old fashioned pop crimbo number 1. It's also a song you can listen to anytime of year, unlike every single X Factor release. They have a sell by date of 1 week.

cleggar said:
gotmilk? said:
Iiiiaiiii

dont.

want.

alot for Christmas..
The very instant that song begins I get a huge grin and a warm feeling inside. I can barely contain myself.

Same! I can't believe I'm saying this on september the 7th but I'm listening to christmas carols now.

F

Former member 330

cleggar said:
gotmilk? said:
Iiiiaiiii

dont.

want.

alot for Christmas..
The very instant that song begins I get a huge grin and a warm feeling inside. I can barely contain myself.

Except when someone is singing it on X Factor. Again. Mariah or nobody.

Nothing's going to outsell the 800 000 or however many copies the X Factor single will do.

Besides, it's not like there've been many great Christmas number ones before Simon Cowell came along... Well, not in the last 20 or so years anyway.

anfunny2003 said:
Maureen said:

I disagree. 'Too Much' reminds me of a million things and was a good old fashioned pop crimbo number 1. It's also a song you can listen to anytime of year, unlike every single X Factor release. They have a sell by date of 1 week.
Too Much is my favourite song of all time, but 2 Become 1 is my favourite Christmas No.1. Not quite sure how but there you go.

anfunny2003 said:
It's also a song you can listen to anytime of year, unlike every single X Factor release. They have a sell by date of 1 week.

I agree with you on the whole re X Factor releases, but I think Hallelujah was the exception: it was a good Christmas number one.

Of course, like most Christmas number ones, you really don't want to hear it in January.

multimediac17

Alphableat said:
Nothing's going to outsell the 800 000 or however many copies the X Factor single will do.

Besides, it's not like there've been many great Christmas number ones before Simon Cowell came along... Well, not in the last 20 or so years anyway.

'Sound Of The Underground'! 'Goodbye'! 'Too Much'! '2 Become 1'! 'Earth Song'! 'I Will Always Love You'! 'Bohemian Rhapsody'! 'Always On My Mind'! 'Mr Blobby'!