CHVRCHES - Screen Violence | Page 15 | The Popjustice Forum

CHVRCHES - Screen Violence

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by xOJakeXo, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Not sure how this passed me by considering I've been using Good Girls, but I've got this purchased now to arrive Friday. I admittedly loved Love Is Dead tho dddd.

2. So as someone who loved The Mother We Share way back in 2013 but hasn't really kept up with CHVRCHES since, I randomly decided to look into what they've done recently and the John Carpenter remix (!!) of Good Girls blew my goddamn head off. Everything I've seen of the visual side for this looks right up my alley too.

3. I am in love with California. What a bop.

4. Lullabies is really hitting today. THE LAYERING. THE SPARKLY GUITARS.

5. Chvrches are one of those groups who are consistently good, I buy all of their albums, but sort of forget they exist when they're not around. But Screen Violence is such a grower, it's a great album. I'm delighted to see that it's currently number 1 in the midweeks.

6. I've loved hearing from fellow fans that this is their favorite record since their debut. It's easy to hear why; there's an assuredness radiating from the band and the songs themselves. The Bones Of What You Believe introduced us to the DNA of the band, and now they've replicated it within a darker context. Lauren's voice has never sounded better and the lyrics are biting. That first verse of Good Girls is ringing so loudly as I read the discussion in the Donda thread

Killing your idols is a chore
    And it's such a fucking bore
    'Cause I don't need them anymore
    So maybe if you just got some guts
    We'd kill them with a thousand cuts
    And say we did it out of love

7. Very pleasantly surprised to see this at number 1 in the midweeks, shame Kanye’s probably ruined their chances.

8. Sales have to be very low if Kaney is already top 3 after 1 day.

9. I think releasing during the August Bank holiday boosted their chances.

10. The fact that they got John Carpenter to remix one of their singles for an album inspired by 80s horror films...their minds!

11. I know what you all think about Love Is Dead but I still think this slaps big time.

12. 2014

2014 Staff Member

This album is amazing. Lauren's voice has never sounded better??

13. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

I do have my issues with this album and I don't think it's a total return to form, but overall I am really enjoying it. It's a huge step in the right direction for them.

And I think I'd already put Nightmares in my top 10 CHVRCHES songs. It has the same climactic feel as By the Throat but even more raw and devastating.

14. This album is really enjoyable. I am glad that they bounced back from Love Is Dead which had couple share of its highs but as a record, it was a disappointing one. I love the heart of the record, the run from Violent Delights to the end is magnificent, ending with an all time high, Better If You Don't.

15. I love how epic and cinematic Violent Delights sounds.

16. RJF

RJF

I honestly think this is just an album full of tight pop songs. I had listened to the whole thing twice and the choruses of about six songs bouncing around my head while I was hiking today. Everything just feels really robust.

17. Violent Delights is The One. I love how this album isn't afraid to lean on its "shoegaze for a non-existent David Cronenberg film soundtrack" influences.

18. Lullabies firmly remains my #1 here but I know I will listen and dramatically lip-sync to Violent Delights when I'll be walking thru the city at night. It's that kind of song.

19. So I have received today my bundle with a signed art card and the signatures are printed. They are not real. I am disappointed as hell.

Andrew.L likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.