Classic British Sitcoms | The Popjustice Forum

Classic British Sitcoms

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by MrJames, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Oh I went there.

If you don't understand my love of Classic British Sitcoms, then you basically don't understand me. I would so much rather watch endless DVD after DVD of a good comedy than I ever would a film.

And my favourites?

The Vicar of Dibley - I know it's pretty obvious, but it really is just fabulous. I love the entire vibe from the characters to the community to the village to the 90s culture to Dawn French. It's a total feast.

Gavin & Stacey - Not sure if this constitutes as a sitcom but it deserves every single drop of praise that it gets. For me, even when it isn't laugh out loud funny, I just thoroughly enjoy spending time with those characters. Nessa and Pam are never not perfect though.

Him & Her - One of the most underrated sitcoms ever. It deserved a Gavin & Stacey/Little Britain type meteoric rise. Kerry Howard delivers one of the most staggering comedy performances ever.

The Royle Family - The first three series and the Queen of Sheba. NOT anything that has followed since. The main series were absolute 90s perfection and I have so many fond memories attached to it.

Keeping Up Appearances - It's getting cringey now, but let's roll with it. Is Hyacinth Bucket considered a gay icon? She certainly should be. I think she is one of the most glorious characters that has ever graced British television. A total tour de force of a performance by Patricia Routledge. Hyacinth is the only real thing that I like about it though. I called it 'Mrs Bucket' when I was little.

dinnerladies - This has got to be one of the most beautifully crafted, fast-paced, rhythmic, hilarious comedies that there has ever been? I've been watching it a lot recently and I am totally blown away by the quality of the writing that is pumped into it. It's basically immaculate. And Dolly Belfield is everything.

Fawlty Towers - Again, another obvious one, but it totally deserves the praise it gets. It's a bit over the top is places but incredibly clever and dry in others. It's a cliche, but it really is amazing that only 12 episodes. It feels like it ran for series after series when you think of all the little plots they had packed into the episodes.

I'm going to crawl away now and hope that someone else is just as passionate as me...

2. I love The Vicar of Dibley and Gavin & Stacey. I would definitely not have Him & Her up there as a classic though.

3. This is true. I wasn't really thinking of the 'classic' tag when I wrote that.

4. Gimme Gimme Gimme is side splitting-ly hillarious for me.

I never get bored of watching them.

5. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

I love so many of the ones you've mentioned. They never get old and stand up to repeat viewings. Dinnerladies became a bit of an event in my household growing up. We'd
    get so excited when a new episode was due to be on.

I can't stand James Corden though, so no Gavin & Stacy for me.

6. Edu

Edu

I think I just know Fawlty Towers, Black Books and The IT Crowd.

7. Edu

Edu

Oh and Absolutely Fabulous.

8. James Corden is one of those smug [banned words] who gets simultaneously less funny with his growing popularity. There's an undeniable charm to Gavin and Stacey, the tone never strays out of its rather dead-pan style (to its credit, I might add) and there's a wealth of great characters (namely the female cast of Nessa, Pam, Gwen, Doris and Dawn) but it's never left any sort of lasting impression on me. Plus, you know... it has James Corden in it.

9. Gavin and Stacey is the best thing to happen ever.

10. Black Books >>>>>>>

My Family was fun when I was like 13.

11. I love, love, love The Vicar of Dibley. Like...a lot. Alice and Hugo's wedding is one of my favorite sequences in all of television, British and American.

Fawlty Towers, too - although to be honest, I just really love John Cleese in general.

I've tried to start watching AbFab so many times now and while I do like it (Joanna Lumley is incredible and steals literally every scene she's in), I just can't commit to watching past season one for some reason.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  12. I can't stand him either but Gavin & Stacey is still amazing, Gavin's mum is especially hilarious.

13. 2point4children used to make me die. It was so, so on perfect for a few years in the early-90s.

Waiting for God was really funny too. Stephanie Cole is a legend.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  14. My all time favourite has to be Nighty Night - it was so dark and twisted and hilariously evil. Jill Tyrell is my role model.

15. Gimme Gimme Gimme is still fanastic. I also have a soft spot for One foot in the grave.

Barbara Lott was hilarious in Sorry!

16. KAG

KAG

I don't care if Him & Her ended only a year ago. It's a classic to me. The first three series are fantastic, while the final one was not so good. It's bizzare that it never made the upgrade to BBC1 but oh well...

My other favourites include Royle Family, Spaced, The Office and The Inbetweeners.

17. The IT Crowd was always great, but I felt let down by the final episode.

That episode in particular where they spend ten minutes teasing Jen because her date looks like a magician, and then it cuts to him—I laughed so hard and for so long. I've never laughed so much at a man just sat at a table doing nothing.

I'm not sure if you could classify it under sitcom, but has anyone seen Garth Marenghi's Darkplace?

It's so fantastically odd. My favorite part is right after Liz reveals that she's psychic and she's told it's not safe for her to get involved: "Please, I'm a big girl now, in a year's time I'll be a woman."

18. Nobody mentioned The Young Ones.

Shame on all of you.

19. Spaced and Green Wing have shaped so much of my humour, I honestly just spout lines from them verbatim in everyday discourse.

Black Books makes up the holy trifecta of the inbred British Sitcom family.

20. What about My Family?

I know it's quality declined in recent years but it was really good to start with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.