Climate Crisis | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

Climate Crisis

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ohnostalgia, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Go back to vegetarianism after lapsing in July. Work towards going vegan.

Make more of an effort to remember my reusable coffee cup when leaving the flat. Ditto my metal straw.

Avoid shopping online where possible (particularly Amazon). Sign up for a locally-grown, organic veg box. Make more use of my local zero waste stores.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  2. Some positive news for once. The coal industry is dying in the US.

What we need to be vigilant about is that power shifting to natural gas, which is falsely advertising itself as the clean non-renewable energy source despite most extraction methods releasing unholy amounts of methane into the atmosphere.

3. I stumbled into this thread late one night last week when I was basically having a anxiety attack about Australia. Reading pretty much the whole thread over two days & bookmarking most of the linked articles (many that I've since read) was both horrifying & hopeful.

I watched this video over the holidays (fittingly). It's both a gross look at how broken & unsustainable our retail/shopping cycle is... but does show some companies trying to solve the issues in some ways.

Of course, the real solution is to just manufacture & make less stuff, but every little bit like the companies in the video helps. (That's what I try tell myself, at least, to keep some degree of positivity... which is hard some days.)

4. I think one of the best actions we can take (as long as it’s accessible to you) is to start with dropping Amazon. I know there are people in rural areas and in other situations who do rely on the service, but there are lots of people just mindlessly buying shit from a company with a very poor human and environmental rights records.

5. Online shopping is absolutely appalling for the environment. Brands like ASOS and Pretty Little Thing all use the cheapest labour, cheapest fabric, deliver one item to someone miles away and with free returns. All for a £3 dress. Unfortunately the high street just can't compete with the prices and the ease of click and it arriving the same day.

6. I'm not sure i believe online shoppong is any worse for the environment.

ALL clothing retailers make things as cheaply as possible. Primark are using cheap fabric, but even high end brands are using sweatshop labour.

Shops are why more energy intense than a warehouse. Delivery could probably be more efficient, but on the other hand I have to be transported to the shops, and the places that are most wasteful to deliver to are also the people who are car dependent.

We should probably be avoiding supermarkets. I think it was a George Monbiot book I read (maybe Heat?) that pointed out how horrifyingly wasteful supermarkets are in terms of energy - and actually when you think about it, it makes sense. There's the things you don't realise (they blow hot air out of the doors to stop birds and insects flying inside) but then there's stuff you don't think about. The banks of open fridges, the fish sitting on ice all while you can walk around comfortably in a t-shirt.

7. It is when you order one/same day shipping and your items get sent on a plane to make sure they arrive on time. Not to mention the carbon footprints associated with returning items for free. Especially items you bought with one click to test out especially because you knew you could ship them back for free.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Michael1128 likes this.
  8. If you haven’t seen it I would recommend watching The True Cost it gives real insight into the unethical practices of Fast Fashion retailers. As of last year I decided I will no longer support fast fashion retailers and am gradually phasing it out of my life. My aim is to eventually make my own garments and mend the clothes I currently have it’s much more cost effective in the long term. I personally try to shop online as little as possible and especially not be so dependant on Amazon or other corporations. I much prefer to support physical outlets as much as possible especially in terms of my physical media even then I will only purchase something I really want to own physically.

9. I know plenty of people who order loads of stuff on ASOS to just pick the one they like and return the others. In a store you’re less likely to return an item because you’ve already tried it on.

Even Primark you would struggle to find a dress for £3 but Pretty Little Thing and Nasty Gal it’s very common.

stuaw likes this.
  10. I jump into the ASOS sales quite regularly (which are pretty much a year-round sale now, but that's another conversation entirely) and the sheer amount of unsold clothing that's still hanging round from seasons ago is astonishing. I've no idea what companies do when they literally can't even sell certain lines of clothing but for overstuffed online shops like ASOS that have thousands of items it.. kind of terrifies me.

11. Fast fashion is a disease. Although honestly I think that some of the problem is people wanting new all the time, not that the clothes fall apart too fast. I don’t reallu buy new clothing anymore, but I have had several pieces from H&M last two-three years and counting.

marie_05, andru, stuaw and 2 others like this.
  12. Nothing cheap obviously comes out with a good report, but there does seem to be a link between online shopping and buying (even) far more than one needs and the ongoing hoarding epidemic.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  13. Here’s a video that explains exactly why I was thinking people could target Amazon. Especially if you are mobile and live in a city.

Empty Shoebox likes this.
  14. It had never occurred to ne that they would fly things to get them to you quickly (that said - while I don't have amazon prime, someone at work did and we would sometimes use it for work things and not ONCE was it delivered in time, and that was in Central London).

I probably also don't comprehend the levels of shopping some people are doing, probably because I find shopping for new clothes a bore (the fun is visiting 8 charity shops)

I agree - I get years out of cheap clothes. I have lots of stuff that's five ish years old. I even have a H&M tee shirt that I bought from a charity shop over 15 years ago. Obviously it's not being woen constantly, but still.

pop3blow2 and ohnostalgia like this.
  15. I still wear a pair of sneakers that I've had since 2002 or something. I have photos of me in them in early 2005, so they're at least that old. I hate buying new clothes... so I just don't.

16. I worked in retail a long time, including at a department store I left over 15 years ago. I always heard (and still hear) people say things like: 'Stuff is just so cheaply made today', etc. While some items are certainly not as well made 'as the old days', I think this mindset is a cop-out excuse some people use to not take better care of stuff. If you buy into the idea that 'stuff is cheaply made & going to fall apart anyways' or is immediately obsolete (mainly with tech, etc) you're just gonna wind-up like 'whatever' in your consumption & care cycle of stuff.

I still have & wear a a lot of the clothes I bought with my employee discount at said discount department store... some of them 20 years ago! I certainly have a lot to work on to be a better consumer, but simply just taking care of your stuff to make it last longer is a small thing I've always try to do. That does seem to a lost concept with some in modern 'fast fashion' culture. (which extends to technology & homewares, too.)

andru, ohnostalgia and sometimesxtc like this.
  17. I was a late/hesitant adapter to 'smart' phones, and have never actually bought a new one/just used hand-me-downs from my sister ddd. I don't care for them, and the screens are way too small for me. I do like tablet devices though, and use one that is over 6 years old currently. I don't really see why people need to get the latest model of these things and get a new one every 2 years or whatever, just so they can say they've got the latest thing.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  18. Generally there is a lot of unnecessary consumerism I watch a fair bit of haul videos specifically wish, shein, zaful etc mainly to silently judge and honestly I just find it overly excessive and wasteful. It was when I watching these videos that I needed to change my own habits and think more sustainable.

I use things until they are no longer fit for purpose I bought an iPod in 2007 and it lasted nearly ten years before it stopped working I don’t believe in upgrading for the sake of upgrading.

19. These are so cringey. You just know they bought the stuff for the video and will probably wear none of it.

SophiaSophia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.