Cocteau Twins | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

Cocteau Twins

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by ManilaChinchilla, May 28, 2013.

1. "Road, River and Rate"...

2. I just wanted to say that this is the first Cocteau Twins song I've ever heard and is still my favourite of them.

Thank you.

Humanracin likes this.
  3. I remember being underwhelmed by this and much preferring "Bluebeard" at the time. Now, I think this is fucking wonderful. Four Calendar Café is just studded with gems.

Eric Generic and Humanracin like this.
  4. I just found this long BBC radio interview which apparently aired around the release of Heaven Or Las Vegas. It mostly has Robin talking (quite rare) and he even admits to his drug addiction. It´s a great listen...and as soon as the "chorus" of Frou Frou Foxes In Midsummer Fires could be heard, I was welling up. What a beauty!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  5. EDIT: Never mind, I am super late on the Pitchfork article news.

6. Not my kinda thing (vinyl, not the music) but RSD2017 has both Four Calander Cafe and Milk & Kisses on coloured vinyl with a bonus disc ... Hopefully one of you lot will buy them and post some pics ...

ModeRed and Eric Generic like this.
  7. What the fuck am I listening to? Just checking out the "Aikea-Guinea" EP and sounds like Björk on a quiet acid trip.

I went from listening to Olivia Newton John's "Gold" compilation to this and "Heaven Or Las Vegas" all on this morning!

8. Aikea Guinea EP a quiet acid trip? I think it´s one of their most explosive, spiralling set of songs. Kookaburra is a sonic, atomic bomb, Roccoco is an equal fractal explosion and Aikea Guinea is whirling insanity.

I hope you like it!

Txetxu likes this.
  9. Yes, all of it doesn't sound as explosive as expected (bar Roccoco which is just noise all over the place). Heaven Or Las Vegas seems to be a bit right up my alley so far, though - will get back to you later!

10. That album really is heavenly, it sends shivers down my spine from beginning to end, and don’t get me started on Frou-Frou Foxes in Midsummer Fires.

11. Always my go-to Cocteaus album.

marie_05 and Brukar like this.
  12. Heaven Or Las Vegas - always associated as a winter 1990 album. Crunching through the leaves every day after getting off the bus that brought me to college - listening to it on the Walkman. Of the same era: Ride - Nowhere, Happy Mondays - Pills 'n' Thrills And Bellyaches.

Brukar and Eric Generic like this.
  13. I used to "twin" it with the Lush CD, Gala, from around the same time.

ohaimanabu, ModeRed and nlgbbbblth like this.
  14. I have these phases every one or two years, when I listen to nothing BUT Cocteau Twins for a few days/weeks and then I´m done with them again. My partner is always highly confused when this happens ("what IS this?)
    One of the best places to listen to CT is undoubtedly Amsterdam. Listening to them on headphones while walking through this 4-dimensional storybook of a city is mindbending.

AshtrayHeart, lob0to and Eric Generic like this.

15. Going through another Cocteau Phase in 3..... 2.....

16. Tracey Thorn just posted this on Twitter, no idea what this gig was about, possibly previewing new material?

"Well it's been quite a day. Just seen Liz Fraser do a little tiny gig in Soho. John Grant guesting on one song. No big deal."

TrendyMüller and Eric Generic like this.

17. still so beautiful!

Humanracin likes this.
  18. NO BIG DEAL!?!?

Eric Generic likes this.
  19. If her performance at Meltdown a few years back is anything to go by, I wouldn't get too excited. The new songs were boring; she sang the old songs like she was apologising for them. A real faith-shaker.

20. Well, there are rather intelligent people who really do believe that Elizabeth Fraser used to be an oracle in the classical sense.
    They believe that something walked in and made itself heard through her.
    Naturally these muses find another host eventually. By the time her voice had shifted into this higher pitch and she sounded like a tortured dolphin, that something had clearly walked out, never to return.

Eric Generic and nostalgiakills like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.