A Rush Of Blood To The Head
Everyday Life
Mylo Xyloto
Parachutes
X&Y
A Head Full Of Dreams
Music Of The Spheres

The top two are interchangeable

They were lovely on SNL last night, performing a band-only version of their song with Jin and a medley of Human Heart/Fix You (with an interpolation of O) that Chris dedicated to Pedro Pascal and his mother.

I do wish they’d chuck their version of The Astronaut on streaming as Chris’ voice sounds lovely on it.

Also, it’s been so sweet to see the overwhelming reaction BTS Army have had to they’re performing the song and showing support for Jin/BTS. It is kind of amazing the sort of musical bridge that they’ve built between the two bands and their respective fan bases.

Disappointed they’ve seemingly not been invited to perform at the Grammys tonight despite their three nominations including Album of the Year… they’ll be in attendance.

I am slowly progressing into my Coldplay phase once again.

A Rush of Blood to Head and Viva la Vida remain their masterpieces. Ghost Stories and Everyday Life are also up there. The rest of their stuff feel very hit or miss for me however. X&Y might be the worst because it is just fucking boring.

Does anyone have a theory on why and how their tour is so successful? I understand that they have a reputation of being good live performers (ddd) but I don’t see the reason why they manage to sell out four shows in places like Hungary? I’ve never seen this happen here and I don’t understand why, of anyone, it is Coldplay being this successful.

Inland Empire

Staff member
he/she/they
Does anyone have a theory on why and how their tour is so successful? I understand that they have a reputation of being good live performers (ddd) but I don’t see the reason why they manage to sell out four shows in places like Hungary? I’ve never seen this happen here and I don’t understand why, of anyone, it is Coldplay being this successful.
Is it not just the fact that the normies go mad for them? They exist in that oh so lucrative space between radio pop and dad rock, have a big back catalogue of well-loved hits, and something about their music seems to appeal equally to Anglophones and non-Anglophones alike.

I think their 2000s run of albums is genuinely great, although Viva La Vida is a wee bit overrated.

Mylo Xyloto onwards gets spotty, but they have done a great job on collaborating with whoever’s relevant in the 2010s until now for a cute hit to get their name out there. I’ve attended one of their shows and while it’s generally fun, I’ve seen better.

I understand their transformation into the band they are today and still appreciate the music now and again, but it is insane how they are aware of "selling out", but still do it. Max Martin trying to cut down 'Coloratura' should've been a warning sign (ha) to them.

Their live shows are genius in their conception. Their music is kind of designed to be played live, full of 'woah ohhhs' which work well for any language. The lights on the wristband are absolutely the other key to that success. It means even in the darkest corner of a stadium you feel involved. It adds so much atmosphere I can't believe no one else considered it. These factors plus a back catalogue of songs that everyone knows and the absolute sincerity of them is what draws people in to see them. It's not one factor, it's the mix. And when you see people's videos on social media it makes you want to be there.

I can see them going on like the Stones.

They really have built a reputation for being such a great live act. Especially in the late 2000s/early 2010s, I remember there was always hype around when they'd tour because of the spectacle that their shows were as far as lights and production go. There weren't many other bands who were putting on shows like that around then.

Even with them "selling out" on their last album, there were some clear gems and songs that still sound like them. And they look like they're still really enjoying it....it doesn't feel like Maroon 5 for example, where Adam Levine seems so over it and their music has become radio fodder.