Cookin' like a chef: The Stray Kids Discography Rate (#80) | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

Cookin' like a chef: The Stray Kids Discography Rate (#80)

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by eccentricsimply, Jul 4, 2022.

1. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

I'm definitely accepting scores until tomorrow. I have a splitting headache after a bad night of sleep, so I can't even focus long enough to add scores to the spreadsheet, much less do writeups.

2. Take all the rest you need. Just turned in my rate. I could have gone further with my commentary but think i'll leave that until the reveals start happening. I do have to say (with their discography) I've rated their work above average. Their catalog is that good despite not showcasing their best singers (Han and BangChan) and the rough beginnings of 3RACHA.

Remorque and eccentricsimply like this.
  3. eccentricsimply

I promise this is the last time I'll be delaying the start of the rate, but I have to push the deadline to the 19th.

I started new meds earlier this week and the headache and nausea are a bit overwhelming right now. Hopefully, by Friday I'll be feeling better and I can start. Sorry for another push back!

4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Your health is most important, we all understand.

Remorque likes this.
  5. eccentricsimply

Okay the results are in and I can finally start this!!! Thank you for the 7 participants who voted

@ohdenny
    @leedlelee...
    @boombazookajoe
    @Salami
    @Macsun
    @soratami
    and myself!

I'll post the first result in a few. I'll try to stick to two eliminations per day but I can't promise anything.

By the way, I'll be breaking ties by the number of highest scores. Since there are only a few voters, it leads for a lot of ties and that's just kinda boring ddddd

6. eccentricsimply

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    GLOW from Mixtape
    Average: 6.21
    Scores: 4 (@eccentricsimply & @Salami), 5 (@leedlelee...), 6.26 (@ohdenny), 7 (@soratami), 7.5 (@Macsun), 9.5 (@boombazookajoe)

Don’t know any other way
    Only looked at one place for a long time
    So where do you want me to go?

The song we all decided to agree is the worst song in Stray Kids' discography is Glow, from their pre-debut Mixtape. Glow was written by members Changbin, Felix and Lee Know and composed by Bang Chan, with arrangement by Chan and Garden. Originally, it was one of the unit songs from their debut reality show, performed by the members who wrote it and, well... Lee Know was eliminated from that line up in that episode (and later on added back again) so needless to say, it's not like Park Jinyoung was impressed by it either. I mean... it's fine? It's a song that exists. It's very obviously a song from the beginning of their career, when Chan was still learning. It's just not very impressive in any way, not even in a bad way. It's... whelming.

But poor @boombazookajoe actually really liked it: "It's become clear that these first couple minis aren't really for me, but they all have at least one song that I absolutely LOVE. "Glow" is that girl on their first mini."

Don't know about the rest of y'all, but to me it seems like a worthy song of being the first to be eliminated.

Remorque, ohdenny, Macsun and 3 others like this.
  7. Well I can’t argue with that.

Remorque and ohdenny like this.
  8. Ddd starting off strong! At least this is the one rate that I know my 11 will actually do well, since that’s been a bit of a struggle for me lately.

Remorque, ohdenny and soratami like this.
  9. @boombazookajoe is spot on about their earlier mini’s. There is at least one track that are clear standouts.

For Glow, it's a shame the chorus is so weak compared to the verses.

Remorque and boombazookajoe like this.
  10. eccentricsimply

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    4419 from Mixtape
    Average: 6.39
    Scores: 4 (@Salami), 5.5 (@eccentricsimply & @ohdenny), 6 (@boombazookajoe), 7.75 (@Macsun), 8 (@leedlelee... & @soratami)

I still remember the day I first met you
    I remember we were almost the same height
    We were the same age and we got so close
    I know I still wanted to go to the end with you

The Mixtape cuts are not easing up just yet. The second song out is 4419, written by 3Racha (Chan, Changbin, Han), Hyunjin and Seungmin, composed by 3Racha and Ohwon Lee and arranged by Ohwon Lee. This too is originally a song from the unit episode of their reality show, originally performed by Chan, Hyunjin and Seungmin, and it's... fine too, I guess. Same for Glow, 4419 is just kinda a show of the earlier stages of their material. Nothing special.

Remorque, ohdenny, Salami and 2 others like this.
  11. One of my lowest scores, going well so far.

Remorque likes this.
  12. Yeah, this is fine at best. No great loss here!

Remorque and ohdenny like this.
  13. I'm guessing the rest of Mixtape isn't long for this world either, because, while it all sounds fine, it's nowhere near as good as their later material. The cuteness of those early clips though!

14. School Life is good though, that can stay.

Remorque and soratami like this.
  15. There's plenty of great stuff on Mixtape, in fact I'd say it's actually one of my favourite releases of theirs. I don't think it deserves the treatment it's been getting. At the very least, Hellevator, YAYAYA and School Life better not be going anywhere anytime soon.

Remorque likes this.
  16. eccentricsimply

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Side from I Am You
    Average: 6.57
    Scores: 3 (@boombazookajoe), 6.25 (@ohdenny), 7 (@eccentricsimply, @Salami, @leedlelee..., @soratami), 8.75 (@Macsun)

I think I’m still young I’m afraid
    I don’t want to keep the word ‘alone’ by my side

We pause the Mixtape eliminations to get rid of a song from their third mini album, I Am You. My Side was written by 3Racha, composed by them and FRANTS and arranged by FRANTS. I think it's not a bad song at all but I wish the sound of the verses was more similar to what we have in the pre-chorus and the chorus because it feels a little jarring and it drags the song down.

And @boombazookajoe agrees with the sentiment: "This song is all over the place. It tries to be 8 different songs and that type of Frankenstein production (which I usually love) just really doesn't work here."

Remorque, Salami, ohdenny and 2 others like this.
  17. I'm so used to being tagged in a rate meaning I'm losing a high score (or a low one), I keep expecting that to be the case when I see a notification for this one too. Need to remember everyone will just get tagged in every elimination here dd

18. Haha same! I mean, I was the low scorer here, but I keep thinking “Damn what next?!” With every tag.

I think this was my lowest score in the rate so I’m happy for it to go early.

19. eccentricsimply

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Awaken from I Am Not
    Average: 6.67
    Scores: 4 (@boombazookajoe), 6 (@Salami, @soratami), 7 (@ohdenny), 7.75 (@Macsun), 8 (@eccentricsimply, @leedlelee...)

I wake up, this strange moment
    Where am I? Who am I?
    Awaken, tears are falling
    Who was I for all this time?

Today we get rid of Awaken, a song from their debut mini album, I Am Not. Awaken is written by 3Racha, composed by 3Racha and Kim Park Chella and arranged by Bang Chan and Kim Park Chella. I like this song. I don't think it's a stand out of theirs, but it's in my playlist of my faves from their music. I love when Stray Kids does any type of rock sound, and I think it's done satisfyingly well here.

20. Okay, but getting rid of both of these this early on? No...

I love it when they do the rock sound and both of these are highlights to me. Especially the outro on My Side is amazing.

eccentricsimply likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.