Cookin' like a chef: The Stray Kids Discography Rate (#80) | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

Cookin' like a chef: The Stray Kids Discography Rate (#80)

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by eccentricsimply, Jul 4, 2022.

1. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

I'm trying to stick to one per day during the week but depression is funky dddd

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rock from I Am Not
    Average: 6.71
    Scores: 5 (@Salami), 6 (@boombazookajoe & @soratami), 7 (@eccentricsimply & @leedlelee... ), 7.75 (@ohdenny), 8.25 (@Macsun)

There are no worries when you’re unconscious
    That actually might be better
    Humans with thoughts might be too much for me​

I Am Not takes another hit as we eliminate b-side Rock. The song was written by 3Racha, composed by them and Full8loom and arranged by Full8loom. It's pretty much that type of mix that SKZ did a lot in the early days, this rock sound with some EDM influences. I think it's a fun enough song and it definitely passed the gym test, but it's a little too much on the messy side for me to actually like it. Again, it has that early days of SKZ feel to it that I believe they eventually managed to clean up.

2. eccentricsimply

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    District 9 from I Am Not
    Average: 6.75
    Scores: 3 (@eccentricsimply), 4 (@boombazookajoe), 7 (@Salami), 7.75 (@Macsun), 8 (@soratami, @leedlelee... ), 9.5 (@ohdenny)

Flip it all over, eh oh
    Flip it over, now eh oh
    Put away your negativity, back off

And the first single to fall is District 9, from their debut mini-album I Am Not. It's written by 3Racha, composed by 3Racha and Trippy and arranged by Trippy and Bang Chan.

I have a confession to make... I hate this song. So much. Whenever people write off Stray Kids as basic bg noise this is immediately the song that comes to mind. I just personally think that SKZ are at their best whenever they don't take themselves seriously, but this song is so aggressively serious it's kinda off-putting. I tend to pretend this song doesn't exist and that they debuted with My Pace instead. The only reason I gave this song a 3 instead of a 1 is because the chorus is not that bad. But yeah. Good riddance!

ohdenny, Macsun, soratami and 2 others like this.
  3. eccentricsimply

I was hoping someone would post so I wouldn't double post but ddddd it's fine !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Beware (Grrr 총량의 법칙) from Mixtape
    Average: 6.78
    Scores: 5 (@eccentricsimply), 6 (@boombazookajoe & @Salami), 7 (@leedlelee...), 7.75 (@ohdenny & @Macsun), 8 (@soratami)

I want you to understand me
    I don’t know what will happen
    Again today, I’m barking

And we are back to Mixtape for today's elimination. Beware is a song written by 3Racha, composed by 3Racha and Trippy and arranged by Trippy. It was one of the songs from the final round of their reality show. Beware is also okay, but like I said about the other songs from Mixtape, it just has that early career vibes to it which make the song sound a little bit unpolished to me.

I'm gonna do another elimination today to compensate for the days without them and we're getting rid of a song from a different album for once! So both Mixtape and I Am Not are safe... for now.

soratami, Macsun and Salami like this.
  4. I swear I wasn’t an anti on this rate but I am happy a lot of my lower scores are getting the boot early.

eccentricsimply and Salami like this.
  5. Let me say I hated District 9 when it was released but I found love for it!

eccentricsimply likes this.
  6. eccentricsimply

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Behind the Light/Mixtape #2 from Clé: Yellow Wood
    Average: 6.78
    Scores: 4.5 (@eccentricsimply), 5.5 (@ohdenny), 6 (@Salami), 7 (@soratami), 8 (@leedlelee... & @Macsun), 8.5 (@boombazookajoe)

Don’t close your eyes again
    There’s a shadow where the light shines
    When you turn around
    A bright light will be waiting for you

The first song from Clé: Yellow Wood is Mixtape #2/Behind the Light. It's a song written and composed by all Stray Kids members + Woojin and arranged by Bang Chan. Listen, I'm not a ballad hate and you're all going to see I gave high scores to a lot of their low tempo songs. I just think this one is a bit... boring? The lyrics are pretty good, but I don't know. I think out of all their mixtape songs, this is the only one I dislike.

7. Hmm. My 8.5 might have been a tad generous. I do like it, but upon relisten, it does kind of plod along for too long before doing anything exciting. Very pretty, though.

ohdenny, eccentricsimply and Macsun like this.
  8. I’m with you. I think i should have given it a 7. It doesn’t go anywhere does it? Where’s the range? I think watching the nostalgic video influenced me.

ohdenny and eccentricsimply like this.
  9. eccentricsimply

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Universe from Go Live/In Life
    Average: 6.82
    Scores: 5 (@Salami), 6 (@leedlelee...), 7 (@eccentricsimply, @ohdenny & @soratami), 7.25 (@Macsun), 8.5 (@boombazookajoe)

My universe
    This feels like the answer
    You and my little world

The first song out of Go Live/In Life is My Universe. My Universe was written by Iggy, Ung Kim, Changbin, Seungmin and Jeongin, composed by Iggy and Ung Kim and arranged by Ung Kim. Together with Wow and We Go, My Universe is one of the unit tracks from the repackage album and they were originally performed during their Unlock tour, only to be later added to the albums.

I personally think this album has (with Surfin') their weakest unit songs. My Universe is... it's cute, but that's about it. I do adore Seungmin's voice so much, he's one of my favorite singers in kpop and I'd listen to him singing anything, really. But this song could be better.

@boombazookajoe is a fan though: "Very sweet. Some interesting melodic moments and chord progressions. Love the chorus."

10. eccentricsimply

I tried posting yesterday but imgbb was down

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Scars from Scars 2nd Japanese Single
    Average: 6.85
    Scores: 5 (@eccentricsimply), 6 (@Salami & @leedlelee...), 6.75 (@ohdenny), 7.75 (@Macsun), 8 (@soratami), 8.5 (@boombazookajoe)

I’ll never cry
    Because I know that it’ll never change

The first song from Extras to leave is Scars, the single from their 2nd Japanese Single. It was written by 3Racha with the Japanese lyrics written by KM-Markit. It was composed by 3Racha and Armadillo and arranged by Bang Chan and Versachoi. It's... it's fine, I guess. I don't care much for it and I definitely think it's their worst Japanese release to date. It was meant to be this kinda emotionally heavy release but I just don't think it's that interesting as a song for me to care much about it.

11. @eccentricsimply Please stop eliminating songs where I am the highest scorer in the 80s, please. <3

eccentricsimply, soratami and Salami like this.
  12. Kind of surprised Scars is out so early but it feels right…

13. eccentricsimply

Fine!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Surfin' from NOEASY
    Average: 6.92
    Scores: 1.5 (@eccentricsimply), 6 (@Salami), 7 (@boombazookajoe & @soratami), 8 (@ohdenny), 9 (@Macsun), 10 (@leedlelee...)

Go ahead and pinch your cheek
    It’s not a dream, don’t worry
    Rub your sleepy eyes wake up wake up
    Boost your energy way up way up

We're continuing with firsts today. From NOEASY, the first song out is Surfin'. It's a unit song from Lee Know, Changbin and Felix and it was written by those members, as well as composed by them and Versachoi and arranged by Versachoi. It's part of the three unit songs of NOEASY that came from their SKZ Song Camp. And it's my most hated Stray Kids song on top of it.

I just think this song is a mess, the lyrics are meh and instead of being some fun thing to me it's just kinda ridiculous ddddd Probably doesn't help that this is the combination of my least favorite voices in Stray Kids. Good riddance!

soratami, boombazookajoe and Salami like this.
  14. Booo I like Surfin’ (for reasons that have more to do with personal associations and memories of a good summer than with the actual song itself; I’m not surprised to see it gone so soon, and I’m glad I could help it outlast Scars)…

15. I was trying to remember which song from this album you hated when I was listening to it but I didn’t think it was this one!

16. Oh wow you HATE this song, ddd.

soratami and eccentricsimply like this.
  17. eccentricsimply

I really do dddddd I don't think anything they've released annoys me as much as Surfin'. At least no one can say I'll take anything from them though!

soratami and boombazookajoe like this.
  18. eccentricsimply

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Star Lost from NOEASY
    Average: 6.96
    Scores: 6 (@boombazookajoe & @Salami), 6.75 (@ohdenny), 7 (@leedlelee... & @soratami), 8 (@eccentricsimply & @Macsun)

I imagine you in the night sky
    You comforting me somewhere
    Don't matter, even if I lose everything right now
    I'd endure it by thinking of you

We're not quitting NOEASY quite yet as the next song out is Star Lost. It was written by 3Racha, Earattack and Callous, and composed and arranged by Earattack and DaviDior. I didn't care much for the song the first few times I listened to the album, but it grew on me considerably. I think it's just a feel good song? It's a hype song, a very concert encore type of thing, which is exactly where the song fell in the setlist of their tour this year.

soratami, Salami and boombazookajoe like this.
  19. eccentricsimply

I've been once again betrayed by my own body and I have the worst case of a sore throat ever seen. I already got tested so it's not the rona, but my doctor still asked for a few days of rest so I'm gonna pause this until Monday. I'm sorry for the slower pace than I'd like, but my life truly picked up the last month or so and it's difficult to do things.

While you wait, consider listening to the single Stray Kids released this year that didn't make it to the rate, but that is still a pretty fun listen!

leedlelee..., soratami and Salami like this.
  20. eccentricsimply

One week delay because my allergies did Not get better until the middle of last week, but here I am.......... on the next page of course

soratami likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.