COVID-19

Sam Bowman was praising the Chinese government's response to the virus the other day, even though they locked people inside their own homes for weeks at a time. Him and Allison are two sides of the same rusty coin.

he/him
All the people who have died because of lockdowns matter just as much as those who have died of Covid. If the government want people to stay at home again they need to make serious provisions to minimise loss of lives for all reasons.

The deaths you're talking about aren't "due to/from lockdowns". They're due to a lack of support from the government to supplement and aid people in the aftermath of a lockdown. You're for some reason quite loudly misdiagnosing where the failure lies.

It's like saying someone who lives in an area with little healthcare infrastructure died *due to where they lived* and not due to an intentional limiting of access to healthcare services by the government. As though the failure was in choice of residence versus in the government's role in providing access (or going into lockdown versus the government's role in providing assistance). Words have meaning.

He/Him/His
Are we sure that @Maggie's Myth and @Tribal Spaceman aren't the same person because I've noticed Tribal Spaceman has deleted their tweet that said "Imagine being so desperate to 'gotcha' someone on twitter that you cite the oppressive regime of China-" (the rest is cut off as the tweet is now deleted and that's all my address bar shows, having looked at the twitter earlier today after it was brought up in this very thread).

he/him
Are we sure that @Maggie's Myth and @Tribal Spaceman aren't the same person because I've noticed Tribal Spaceman has deleted their tweet that said "Imagine being so desperate to 'gotcha' someone on twitter that you cite the oppressive regime of China-" (the rest is cut off as the tweet is now deleted and that's all my address bar shows, having looked at the twitter earlier today after it was brought up in this very thread).
It’s very suspicious

he / him

I looked at their posting history and thought the same thing too ddd

The deaths you're talking about aren't "due to lockdowns". They're due to a lack of support from the government to supplement and aid people in the aftermath of a lockdown. You're for some reason quite loudly misdiagnosing where the failure lies.

It's like someone who lives in an area with little healthcare infrastructure died due to where they lived and not due to an intentional limiting of access to healthcare services by the government. Words have meaning.
I am referring to people that died because they had to stay home during lockdowns, not the aftermath, although the lack of support afterwards has also been shocking.

My uncle had a cancer screening booked in, lockdown started, his appointment was cancelled because of lockdown, and he subsequently died. This should not have happened and steps should have been taken to protect people him at the same time as those most at risk of Covid.

The fact that there is no testing or questions asked at the airports still ASTOUNDS ME and do not understand (or haven't seen) where the gov have been challenged as to their reasonings why (I mean... when do they ever give an adequate thought out response even if they were challenged)

We are an ISLAND.

he/him
Sam Bowman was praising the Chinese government's response to the virus the other day, even though they locked people inside their own homes for weeks at a time.

Meanwhile people in Wuhan are enjoying being able to go outside and enjoy life under their "repressive regime" while you dabble between alt accounts to argue with fellow homosexuals online because your parliamentary democracy with an archaic symbolic monarchy has left you to fend for your life from a homegrown strain of the virus.

Doesn't make much sense now, does it?

The fact that there is no testing or questions asked at the airports still ASTOUNDS ME and do not understand (or haven't seen) where the gov have been challenged as to their reasonings why (I mean... when do they ever give an adequate thought out response even if they were challenged)

We are an ISLAND.
We literally have private testing facilities built AT HEATHROW and they were asking the government about introducing mandatory testing, and I believe it was crickets. The levels of incompetency are nearly at Selena Meyer levels.

I don't want to call anyone a liar over such a sensitive subject but as someone who works with cancer patients and specfically newly diagnosed patients, the idea of that sort of appointment being cancelled even in March/April is unheard of to me. That's suspicious, that's weird. Anything related to cancer in the NHS gets the upmost priority even during a global pandemic, that's all I can say. We really are past the point of banging pots and pans on the doorstep for the NHS aren't we? Like sure, keep pushing that rhetoric hun.

He/Him/His
It’s very suspicious
tenor.gif

Judging by these accounts' shared interests (being anti-lockdown, anti-China, and pro-Doctor Who), I would not be surprised if a longtime moderator had a second account to air more problematic views (some of which I've witnessed in the past).

I did not expect hostility and conspiracy theories. I regret bringing up something very personal in here now, the availability of NHS treatment is very different depending on where u live and this crisis has made that even more obvious.

The fact that there is no testing or questions aked at the airports still ASTOUNDS ME and do not understand (or haven't seen) where the gov have been challenged by as to their reasonings why (I mean... when do they ever give an adequate thought out response even if they were challenged)

We are an ISLAND.
!!!

It just boggles my mind. It's the same here in Ireland, we're an island of under 7m people on the edge of Europe, there really is no excuse to be in the dire situation we're in.

Why there hasn't been more noise made about this I'm just not sure.

There are three parties at play here, unless I’m misunderstanding.

1. Those who believe lockdowns are effective as is, which seems reductive and naive considering how atrociously the people in charge have handled it so far.
2. Those who believe they are not and want things opened back up, which, yeah, we know where they stand. Callous, indifferent and ignorant to reality come to mind.
3. Those who believe lockdowns are just one form of pandemic control and should be used in addition to providing the support required to make lockdowns effective at all.

I believe most of us are in camp three. But for some reason, there’s a chunk who claim to be group three but have decided that in the absence of support, it’s better to just avoid lockdown and to let all hell break loose. The rest of us in group three are aghast because that is very obviously NOT the answer and solves literally no problems while creating even more.

Again, though, this is coming from an American perspective, where any sort of government support has been exactly $1800 for some of us over the last nine months. It’s all just... ugh.

he / him
Meanwhile people in Wuhan are enjoying being able to go outside and enjoy life under their "repressive regime" while you dabble between alt accounts to argue with fellow homosexuals online because your parliamentary democracy with an archaic symbolic monarchy has left you to fend for your life from a homegrown strain of the virus.

This knocked me six feet into the air I've never seen such a DRAG

he/him
This should not have happened and steps should have been taken to protect people

You mean like how the governments in many Asian nations did, the kind of measures you're vilifying as repressive and horrible?

I empathize with you terribly. I lost my grandmother due to COVID. It was a headache watching my dad die from liver cancer while navigating the lockdown in hospitals and the like - while being moved by how caring the actual people who work in healthcare are when we as a society are pushed to frightening limits. But you're being reactionary by arguing the harmful action is in itself the lockdowns and not asking those who need to be responsible like our world governments to meet the conditions we are all owed to exist in these - yes - necessary lockdowns. How can you not see this?? We're not being failed by lockdowns. We're all being failed by global austerity and greed. I genuinely hope you can see this and my heart aches for you.