COVID-19

Every health professional has had to learn on the go and progress has been made in lots of ways and mistakes made too as we are only human. I recognize that it's not possible for me to give an un biased opinion because of what happened in my family. I don't agree with repeating things in the same way though and have a lot of questions for the government approach. I don't want anyone else to go through the same.

He/Him/His
I've just realized I've responded to reactionary conspiratorial views by creating my own reactionary conspiracy theory.

tenor.gif

Perhaps I shouldn't have, but I do genuinely feel empathetic to anyone's individual situation.

Every health professional has had to learn on the go and progress has been made in lots of ways and mistakes made too as we are only human. I recognize that it's not possible for me to give an un biased opinion because of what happened in my family. I don't agree with repeating things in the same way though and have a lot of questions for the government approach. I don't want anyone else to go through the same.
It's more than fair to question the government approach and the effectiveness of their implementation.

Lockdowns don’t work if we don’t have a proper testing and tracing system in place for when the lockdown ends. I’m not saying let’s not lockdown, we absolutely should but it’s frustrating going into yet another lockdown full well knowing we’ll probably get locked down again come March because of this governments gross incompetence.

They really have made an absolute tit of this and heads need to roll once this is all over.

That being said, I’m fed up of seeing posts from people advocating against lockdowns due to MH from people while they follow trash folk like Allison Pearson, JHB etc on social media. If you cared about MH, you wouldn’t follow such hideous people.

LTG

he/him
The fact that there is no testing or questions asked at the airports still ASTOUNDS ME and do not understand (or haven't seen) where the gov have been challenged as to their reasonings why (I mean... when do they ever give an adequate thought out response even if they were challenged)

We are an ISLAND.
Why would our scummy client journalists ever want to question the government? Especially when it could sabotage a future job in Downing Street?

It okay if any thread is gonna get heated it's this one.

Does anyone have any good news as trivial as that might sound. Examples of humans being amazing and helping each other.

Not me liking that post because I saw 'my uncle died of cancer because he missed his screening'.
I'm really sorry about your uncle - but really, if we do not lockdown, we will all join your uncle, it's that simple.

As it is people don't really respect lockdown, and the hospitals are already full. Imagine if everyone roamed around freely, went to bars, parties, sports events etc.

He/They
Does anyone have any good news as trivial as that might sound. Examples of humans being amazing and helping each other.
Pop to the ‘Say Something Nice About The Member Above You’ Thread, and see how nice we are to each other when they’re not peddling semi-bullshit.

Thank you vasilios. I don't think it needs to be a matter of going from one extreme to the other and thinking about having a party makes me feel anxious now but I don't think the uk government are capable of approaching things with any nuance so it is what it is.

The UK is going to Alert Level 5 tonight apparently. Unclear what took us this long.
  • Level five (red) - a "material risk of healthcare services being overwhelmed" - extremely strict social distancing.

I'm trying to talk to my friend about the whole PV Circuit Party situation and he is ... so delusional - actively supporting Sam Cushing and doubting why he is there in Mexico... "he's relaxing and not at the parties" (sure Jan). Man, I would have never pegged him as a Pick-Me gay but ... here we are.

Edit: I want to add, I don't think we should immediately assume but when someone goes into defence mode aka locking their social media, disabling comments and they go silent... that doesn't sound like someone is innocent.

"Going after someone livelihood is not okay"... If you are making money because you are promoting a healthy, safe approach to this pandemic (aka staying home and doing your part) but then going against it, then I think it’s fair to critique them.

Last edited:
As much as uplifting stories help in the short term I've begun to feel a small amount of resentment for the thanklessness of being a key worker. My job took 8 months to incorporate working from home, by which point I'd spent 8 months working in an unsafe office getting abuse daily from customers over the phone for a low paying job. The fact that people on furlough could talk about being bored while their 80% was still much more than my actual wage hurt more every month, being bored and all the talk of people's lockdown hobbies and achievements felt a luxury so many of us didn't have.

More than just healthcare workers this pandemic has emphasised how many of us are just propping up a system without thanks or acknowledgement. There was a sign I walked past every day that said 'you will all deserve medals after this' and my only thought was we don't want medals we want fucking money to live.

The way this pandemic has framed frustration at work into 'just be grateful you have a job' is something deeply unsettling, being expected to feel uplifted by shots of people dancing outside their homes and helping the elderly in nice suburbia just doesn't remotely relate to being stuck in an 8 bed house which could barely sustain 4 people for 6 months.

Telling people 'be kind' became such a phrase this year but I can't deny not struggling when all the alleged kindness in the world hasn't changed a broken system. Its hard to be kind when you have the right to anger

Last edited:

matthew.

Staff member
He/Him
These instagay sociopaths who are talking out of both sides of their mouths pretending to take this seriously then playing Colonialism 2021 deserve to be held accountable. Ignoring them (or worse, defending their hypocrisy) and letting them get away with it because "it's mean" is just infantilizing.

That being said, I’m fed up of seeing posts from people advocating against lockdowns due to MH from people while they follow trash folk like Allison Pearson, JHB etc on social media. If you cared about MH, you wouldn’t follow such hideous people.
Absolutely this.

By the same token, I'd encourage the people using this thread as a show-and-tell for all the worst stuff they found elsewhere on the internet to think twice about that; it helps no-one.

As much as uplifting stories help in the short term I've begun to feel a small amount of resentment for the thanklessness of being a key worker. My job took 8 months to incorporate working from home, by which point I'd spent 8 months working in an unsafe office getting abuse daily from customers over the phone for a low paying job. The fact that people on furlough could talk about being bored while their 80% was still much more than my actual wage hurt more every month, being bored and all the talk of people's lockdown hobbies and achievements felt a luxury so many of us didn't have.

More than just healthcare workers this pandemic has emphasised how many of us are just propping up a system without thanks or acknowledgement. There was a sign I walked past every day that said 'you will all deserve medals after this' and my only thought was we don't want medals we want fucking money to live.

The way this pandemic has framed frustration at work into 'just be grateful you have a job' is something deeply unsettling, being expected to feel uplifted by shots of people dancing outside their homes and helping the elderly in nice suburbia just doesn't remotely relate to being stuck in an 8 bed house which could barely sustain 4 people for 6 months.

Telling people 'be kind' became such a phrase this year but I can't deny not struggling when all the alleged kindness in the world hasn't changed a broken system. Its hard to be kind when you have the right to anger

I very much felt this for those in your position this year. Seeing the fireworks salute a 100 year old man for raIsing money for the NHS and also saluting the SO ESSENTIAL workers in the health services, supermarkets et al. left me thinking its just a literal show isn't it? The tory government will harp on about the heroism of the frontline workers yet have to u-turn on a visa tax for immigrant workers after a public outcry. Have a round of applause, for a treat but that's it. I hate it here.

It also showed who really is essential to our society and the unjust way this is rewarded financially. I hope you know @joe_alouder and everyone doing this work how appreciated you are, even though I know words can often feel not enough and certainly don't pay the bills.

Last edited:
I don't want to call anyone a liar over such a sensitive subject but as someone who works with cancer patients and specfically newly diagnosed patients, the idea of that sort of appointment being cancelled even in March/April is unheard of to me. That's suspicious, that's weird. Anything related to cancer in the NHS gets the upmost priority even during a global pandemic, that's all I can say. We really are past the point of banging pots and pans on the doorstep for the NHS aren't we? Like sure, keep pushing that rhetoric hun.
My dad's had cancer since 2019 and has regularly made his radiation/hormone injection or whatever appointments throughout the pandemic, so...yeah nn. If restrictions were the specific cause of death, he should be dead.

I’m so... tired. Burnt out. Done.

Ten months in and the situation in the UK is worse than ever. What’s the point

My mental health has been at its lowest point the past few weeks. Things are just so bleak and the wear and tear is sinking in its claws.

The vaccines provide a lot of hope but when it comes to the rollout it’s just more over promising and under delivering from officials.