COVID-19

she/her
Ireland is vaccinating on a 9-5 basis Monday to Friday.

How this is acceptable when we have reached literally the most dangerous point of a global pandemic is beyond me.

Honestly our governments are failing us and we deserve so much better. I just hope people remember this when the next election rolls around.
Same, I can't believe how bad Ireland has got after managing Covid ok-ish for most of 2020 (i.e. hospitals were never overwhelmed). It's completely out of control and so much of it is down to government incompetence (and I blame FF and FG equally since FG were the ones who didn't protect nursing homes and opened up too quick during the first wave).

It's also insane that they just keep repeating the same measures every time, yet never brought in any measures at airports, not even requiring a mandatory negative test upon arrival, the fucking bare minimum they could do. It makes me want to scream.

Anyway my plan for this month is to stay the fuck inside my house except for my daily walk. My mental health is at an all time low but what can you do.

Same, I can't believe how bad Ireland has got after managing Covid ok-ish for most of 2020 (i.e. hospitals were never overwhelmed). It's completely out of control and so much of it is down to government incompetence (and I blame FF and FG equally since FG were the ones who didn't protect nursing homes and opened up too quick during the first wave).

It's also insane that they just keep repeating the same measures every time, yet never brought in any measures at airports, not even requiring a mandatory negative test upon arrival, the fucking bare minimum they could do. It makes me want to scream.

Anyway my plan for this month is to stay the fuck inside my house except for my daily walk. My mental health is at an all time low but what can you do.
Yup we are doing appalling and it is because of sheer incompetence. Oh and the masters of spin, aka Fine Gael, better not even think of wrangling their way out of this. They are part of that shambles of a coalition just as much as FF are.

The situation at the airports is honestly unforgivable. As I said before, we are an island nation with a very low population density. There is absolutely no reason why we couldn't have got this under control, especially considering how well we were doing back in the Summer. Plus our testing system is totally inadequate and quite frankly an insult to the people of this country. Imagine telling close contacts they can't get tested anymore because, just like pretty much everything else in the HSE, the testing system is simply not fit for purpose.

I've had enough of it honestly. When are people going to wake up and realise that FF and FG are utterly incompetent, they have failed our country time and time again and we need major change now?

This has been known in Sweden for a couple of days already, but I'll gladly see the shitshow that is our government getting international coverage.

Also, this isn't just "some official". This is the director of the national public safety and crisis agency.

You just wonder what goes through people's heads. Like I would actually love to know the thought processes of people. Like an exam question, please explain your work.

I'm fucking exhausted. Praying that brighter days are not too far away, and that these restrictions are actually broad enough to make a difference.

I don’t want to post misery again but lockdown the threequel has hit me like a ton of bricks. The warning signs were there for months and they’ve toyed with our lives for political point scoring.

What’s the point of getting up tomorrow and working like everything is fine.

This government has been too late to respond to everything with regards to this pandemic which just results in chaos after chaos. It was obvious from about the middle of December - and definitely by the time schools closed on the 18th - that they should not be reopening in January. Imagine if he had simply announced it then. Teachers could have spent time over Christmas properly preparing for online learning in the new term. Schools could have organised the technology that they have and delivered to the families that need it. Teachers wouldn’t have wasted hours and hours of time over Christmas on preparing provision for a school system which is now no longer coming to pass. We could have started online learning properly and of a high quality from the start. Instead it will be a panicked rush to get everything sorted. And the kids suffer yet again. How dare they say they have the children’s best interests in mind. How dare they.

Closing the schools is absolutely the right thing to do, but Boris simply insists on doing everything in such a haphazard and farcical way. It’s infuriating. It’s almost impressive how he commits so fully to fucking everything up.

And I cannot fucking stand the comments I see about how teachers should be willing to play their part and do their bit for the cause and everyone is making sacrifices. There is no other profession which requires 35 people to be in a small room all day together with no PPE and no social distancing. That is simply a fact.

I love being a teacher but it has been completely miserable this year, aided primarily by the added stress and workload caused by the governments last minute decisions. If they don’t get their shit together by the summer, I think teachers are going to be dropping like flies out of the profession entirely - which they have already been doing at an alarming rate for the last five years. This has just really exposed the cracks even more than before. Something needs to change with the entire profession, because the current model is simply not sustainable.

Also, I read an article today about parents whose kids are accessing online learning through their phones are running out of 4G or having to spend loads to top it up. Firstly, the government should have organised all of this six months ago to ensure schools have laptops / Chromebooks / iPads to give to kids who need it, and secondly, it’s a real kick in the teeth when you remember that Corbyn wanted free WiFi for all. This country really hates itself so fucking much.

Last edited:
he/him
Did that many children go into school today? We have two inset days planned and the children are coming back on Wednesday.

This might be a stupid question but does going for a walk count as exercise?

I usually go out for a half an hour to one hour walk every day just for the boost it gives to my mood and general mental health. I took up running in lockdown 1 but fell off during the Summer and have been trying to get back into it the past week. However, I think going for a run every other day and having no other time outside would be quite hard.

londonrain

Staff member
This might be a stupid question but does going for a walk count as exercise?

I usually go out for a half an hour to one hour walk every day just for the boost it gives to my mood and general mental health. I took up running in lockdown 1 but fell off during the Summer and have been trying to get back into it the past week. However, I think going for a run every other day and having no other time outside would be quite hard.
Yes, it does. You’re allowed to go for a walk.

This has been known in Sweden for a couple of days already, but I'll gladly see the shitshow that is our government getting international coverage.

Also, this isn't just "some official". This is the director of the national public safety and crisis agency.

Does every public official in this country need violently shaken?

It's beyond a joke now. What needs to happen before they take this seriously?

he/him
LA feels like a hellscape. Our case numbers continue to climb, our ICUs at capacity, death rates increasing. California at large has the slowest vaccine distribution rate, and our "restrictions" feel completely random. I've seen more maskless people on the streets than ever before. Clinging to hope that new federal leadership will solve the vaccine distribution issues, but it's such a deflating way to enter the new year.

Last edited:
The school guidelines are also very open for interpretation. I’ve already seen some schools saying that the criteria for “key workers” is so broad now that they’ll still have full staff in and most kids, whereas others are saying they’ll be pretty much closed and focussing on remote teaching.

It continues to be a huge mess.

I don’t want to post misery again but lockdown the threequel has hit me like a ton of bricks. The warning signs were there for months and they’ve toyed with our lives for political point scoring.

What’s the point of getting up tomorrow and working like everything is fine.
Put in the bare minimum and just make sure you don't get fired. At least that's my approach. No one deserves a single thing from us at this point.

Really feeling for everyone who is having their A-Levels cancelled; on the one hand, the earlier cancellations might mean we get a better and fairer system, but how is anyone going to have any motivation for the next six months knowing that there will be no exams at the end of it?

Someone suggested that my uncle "would have died anyway", which is exactly the same argument that callous people have used when talking about dying from Covid vs. dying with Covid. I know you're all better than those people. He may have died, he at least might have lived a little longer, and time like that is precious to a family. We are already wracked with guilt as it is because we'll always wonder if he would have received a different standard of care if he had lived in another NHS region. If one good thing can come out of this I hope to see health funding and support standardised across the UK.

Please consider contacting your local MP/representative and asking for help for those who are already at their limit as for them a further lockdown will be devastating.