(Crap) Girl Bands in the 'pop' heyday

That’s crazy. Makes me wonder what Girl Thing’s album would’ve charted at if it was released.

It made #92 in Australia.

I love how the clueless Australian divisions of record companies back then often still released things locally, despite floppage… in contrast to the UK labels who would do ridiculous things like shelve an album because the single/s only made the lower half of the top 10.

I love how the clueless Australian divisions of record companies back then often still released things locally, despite floppage… in contrast to the UK labels who would do ridiculous things like shelve an album because the single/s only made the lower half of the top 10.

Could it be that the UK companies placed the majority of the investment and then overseas labels just had to pay to licence the release thus less outlay/risk?

Could it be that the UK companies placed the majority of the investment and then overseas labels just had to pay to licence the release thus less outlay/risk?

Yes, but Australia is also a much smaller market = less likelihood of turning a profit.

I mean… we even got Lonnie Gordon’s album, despite the biggest (and only top 100) hit from it peaking at #33. We got Ultra Violet era Bananarama (both singles + the album, despite both singles missing the top 100).

Yes, but Australia is also a much smaller market = less likelihood of turning a profit.

I mean… we even got Lonnie Gordon’s album, despite the biggest (and only top 100) hit from it peaking at #33. We got Ultra Violet era Bananarama (both singles + the album, despite both singles missing the top 100).
Thinking about how big but sparsely populated Australia is, it's a wonder labels were able to make money in the physical era at all, as the distribution costs must've been very high.

I mean...when you spend the GDP of a small country to get that lower half of the top 10 position and the follow up doesn't even make the top 20, cutting your losses doesn't seem all that ridiculous to me. Releasing and promoting an album would have been throwing good money after bad.

They must've had a great deal of money thrown at them, considering the music videos, the remixes commissioned and the release of an album with each single doing steadily worse.
Building on your earlier point, but you can tell the girls had a lot of money thrown at them through the quality of writers/ producers they had for the album too. Cutfather & Joe, Andre Bagges, Josef Larossi & Andreas Romdhane (Muryln production house) and even a track secured from Diane Warren. Most of these producers have written some huge pop hits, so they were probably hoping that this would have passed in their direction too.

The first nail in the coffin, was ‘Rewind’ not making the top ten. They should have done everything they could have to secure a top 5 placement, whether it was buying additional singles, securing further promo or selling themselves on magazines, but as the follow up to their Eurovision smash, they needed this to help relaunch the girls, especially as it had been so long since their debut single.

Secondly, they shouldn’t have released ‘Its Gonna Be My Way’, instead opting for something like ‘These Days’, ‘Step to Me’ or ‘I Count The Minutes’, a mid tempo breezy summery number which would have shown a different side to them, followed by either ‘New Beginning’ or a double a-side of ‘Stand Up/Heaven With You’.

Oh how I wish there was a follow up or even a planned reunion but alas, I shall just hammer home the original album.

Island

Staff member
The Precious album is so bland, though. The vocals are a mess on some tracks. It really does sound “factory-made” cos there really isn’t much personality on it.

It’s Gonna Be My Way is my favorite song on it, but it probably should’ve been remixed to either be a more clubby track or a garage-inspired track for the single release.

The Precious album is so bland, though. The vocals are a mess on some tracks. It really does sound “factory-made” cos there really isn’t much personality on it.

It’s Gonna Be My Way is my favorite song on it, but it probably should’ve been remixed to either be a more clubby track or a garage-inspired track for the single release.
Of all the crappy girls bands of that era, ‘Smoke2Seven’, ‘Made in London’, ‘N’Tyce’, ‘Fierce’ and ‘Tymes 4’ but to name a few, I always felt Precious had the better more consistent album, but I do get what you mean about the vocals. Especially on two ‘I Count The Minutes’. Although I love that song, the vocals on the second verse needed some much better production.

As for a garage remix, yes please! Would love it if this could be done now!

I think a big problem with Precious (and to some extent Supersister and Smoke2Seven) was there was just too big a gap between first and second single (almost a year!).

I know Precious were originally intending to follow up Say It Again with Stand Up in the autumn of '99, and it's a shame they didn't. Not sure how it would've charted, but would at least have bridged a very big gap between Say It Again and Rewind.

Stand Up had a bit more of a vocal share too, so at least you wouldn't have the first two singles fronted by the one vocalist.

Island

Staff member
I Count the Minutes is one of the better tracks on the Precious album, despite the vocals.

Fierce definitely had potential. Their second album probably would have been way more slick.

I like the Smoke2Seven album. It’s definitely a solid effort. But also, I couldn’t see them making it past that first album due to the changing pop tastes. Who thought of that girl group name, though?