(Crap) Girl Bands in the 'pop' heyday

Mvnl

Staff member
With them having 2 top 10 hits and a #2 album over here it feels very weird to see Solid Harmonie thrown in there

Secondly, they shouldn’t have released ‘Its Gonna Be My Way’, instead opting for something like ‘These Days’, ‘Step to Me’ or ‘I Count The Minutes’, a mid tempo breezy summery number which would have shown a different side to them, followed by either ‘New Beginning’ or a double a-side of ‘Stand Up/Heaven With You’.

Oh how I wish there was a follow up or even a planned reunion but alas, I shall just hammer home the original album.
I think 'It's Gonna Be My Way' did show a different side to them, though? It was lot more American/R&B sounding than the poppy 'Rewind' or 'Say It Again' and actually I really loved that song/video. It's definitely a highlight from the album too.
Let's not forget that New Beginning was released as a single and flopped even harder at #50.
They probably just came at a time when the charts felt saturated with manufactured pop acts / female groups and people just either weren't interested in them as a group or they flew under most people's radar.

I think their/their label's biggest misstep was waiting 10 months to follow up 'Say It Again'. They should have been issuing another single 3-6 months later and kept some momentum. As great as 'Rewind' was, any initial Eurovision ''hype'' they had at the time had pretty much dissipated come March 2000 and then they needed to work just as hard as a brand new act to get fans and people on board. I don't think the label really gave them the push that was needed.

Personally, after It's Gonna Be My Way it might have been wise for them to do what Liberty X did and try and seek a sure-fire hit to release. There wasn't really anything strong enough on the album that was going to give them that big hit they really needed. At a stretch... they could have opted to release the ballad 'These Days' and hoped for an Atomic Kitten 'Whole Again' situation, although the song isn't as strong and, again, the vocals do sort of let it down.

I spent far longer thinking about this than is normal. I refuse to consider Honeyz and Cleopatra 'flop' girlbands, so they were cut, and one track per artist. I'm not very good at curating into a good album order but you get the jist. Consider it the deluxe re-release at 17 tracks.

1) Madasun - Don't You Worry
2) The Alice Band - Now That You Love Me
3) Made in London - Shut Your Mouth and Touch Me
4) Precious - It's Gonna Be My Way
5) Smoke2Seven - Envy
6) Supersister - Summer Gonna Come Again
7) Truce - Eyes Don't Lie
8) Ladies First - I Can't Wait
9) Anotherside - This Is Your Night
10) Tymes 4 - She Got Game
11) Masai - Do That Thang
12) Clea - I Surrender
13) Cookie - Do It Again
14) Thunderbugs - It's About Time That You Were Mine
15) Kick Angel - Misunderstood
16) N-Tyce - Boom Boom
17) Solid Harmonie - I Want You To Want Me
Ummmm but where are Loose Chippins???? /s

Would Precious have had any other material in the bank after Say It Again? Infact had they even been signed for an album release at the point of Say It Again? Or just a one single release?

They were on the same label as Imaani who I assume was on a one single deal (and by the time single two came along no one was interested)

Would Precious have had any other material in the bank after Say It Again? Infact had they even been signed for an album release at the point of Say It Again? Or just a one single release?

They were on the same label as Imaani who I assume was on a one single deal (and by the time single two came along no one was interested)
Well they had Stand Up ready to go as single 2 very quickly, before it was shelved. Did labels really sign artists for single deals at this point? That was never a good idea because that would mean they could get snapped up by someone else, and of course an album deal rarely meant the label had to actually release one.

Island

Staff member
Well they had Stand Up ready to go as single 2 very quickly, before it was shelved. Did labels really sign artists for single deals at this point? That was never a good idea because that would mean they could get snapped up by someone else, and of course an album deal rarely meant the label had to actually release one.
I think Mis-Teeq were signed for a single deal and moved on to an album after All I Want did well.

They were a Garage duo similar to Mis-Teeq. The third member quit right when the first single came out.

Honestly never heard of them. It’s so overproduced it’s almost like someone asked AI to produce a generic garage girl band. All their voices sound the same!

Island

Staff member
I spent far longer thinking about this than is normal. I refuse to consider Honeyz and Cleopatra 'flop' girlbands, so they were cut, and one track per artist. I'm not very good at curating into a good album order but you get the jist. Consider it the deluxe re-release at 17 tracks.

1) Madasun - Don't You Worry
2) The Alice Band - Now That You Love Me
3) Made in London - Shut Your Mouth and Touch Me
4) Precious - It's Gonna Be My Way
5) Smoke2Seven - Envy
6) Supersister - Summer Gonna Come Again
7) Truce - Eyes Don't Lie
8) Ladies First - I Can't Wait
9) Anotherside - This Is Your Night
10) Tymes 4 - She Got Game
11) Masai - Do That Thang
12) Clea - I Surrender
13) Cookie - Do It Again
14) Thunderbugs - It's About Time That You Were Mine
15) Kick Angel - Misunderstood
16) N-Tyce - Boom Boom
17) Solid Harmonie - I Want You To Want Me
Kick Angel! They would’ve had a cute album.

he/him

They at least had one b-side on the Say It Again single so I’d assume there were a couple of songs recorded at least.

Kick Angel! They would’ve had a cute album.

The planned first single I Don't Care was a bit stronger but Mercury pulled it, which was a mistake, and then there was no recovering from how Misunderstood did. I really love it but it's not a launch single in any universe.

Oh drat I forgot one. Candy Rock - I'm Not In Love. I really loved this and wish they would put it back on streaming. I'd put this in for Cookie on my tracklist.

Last edited:
There was some buzz around Precious when Say It Again came out. I remember that there was even a half-hour early evening TV show on BBC1 about them the week before Eurovision.
I think the first nail in the coffin was their Eurovision performance. The lead singer gave a very strange performance, and the microphones were not at the right levels compared to other acts (sabotage?). It looked a bit basic.
There wasn't the girl-gang vibe about them either - it seemed to be lead singer v rest of the band.

There was some buzz around Precious when Say It Again came out. I remember that there was even a half-hour early evening TV show on BBC1 about them the week before Eurovision.
I think the first nail in the coffin was their Eurovision performance. The lead singer gave a very strange performance, and the microphones were not at the right levels compared to other acts (sabotage?). It looked a bit basic.
There wasn't the girl-gang vibe about them either - it seemed to be lead singer v rest of the band.

Most people watching would have thought the entry was a female soloist called Precious and 4 backing dancers/vocalists. She had a couple of voice cracks but I thought gave it a good go on the night. It's more that every time the other girls sing their parts she looks furious and gives a bit of side-eye.

It was quite a bland performance of a good song but it was a different era, there were far more limitations with what they were able to do.

Just as an additional note. I love this thread, not least because I think we all care about these groups more than the girls who were in them did.