Darren Hayes - Homosexual | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

Darren Hayes - Homosexual

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mrp2910, Jan 17, 2022.

1. jtm

jtm

I mean it‘s not like he has a great track record with his solo singles but the albums were always great. So I‘m not worried in the slightest.

The correct single releases:

Spin: Insatiable Heart Attack / Strange Relationship / I Miss You Like It Or Not / Crush

Tension & The Spark: Popular I Like The Way / Darkness

This Delicate Thing: On The Verge of Something Wonderful Who Would Have Thought / Me Myself and I Step Into The Light / Casey Sing To Me

Secret Codes: Talk Talk Talk Taken By The Sea / Black Out The Sun / Bloodstained Heart / Stupid Mistake

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
    poshbabyyy and Txetxu like this.
  2. Insatiable could well be my least fav song ever.

3. While I do agree that some of his singles were much weaker than most album tracks (hi I Miss You), Casey and Insatiable were great!

londonrain, poshbabyyy and jtm like this.
  4. Great torture of the ears.

5. Casey is definitely my favorite song of his. Listen All You People is a close second.

I really want to like Let’s Try Being in Love, but I agree that the cringe parts outweigh the good parts.

6. Insatiable isn’t my favourite Darren song but it did what needed to be done to get his first solo hit. I think the biggest misfire was Popular, it doesn’t represent the album at all and was partially responsible for the album not doing too well.

poshbabyyy and jtm like this.
  7. Did it though? Sony paid big $$ for radio plays and support and it only resulted in people hating it and then not bothering with the (quite good) album dd. At least me and my friends / music fans I interacted with back then felt that.

8. I Miss You is a gorgeous song! One of my all-time favourites.

poshbabyyy and Txetxu like this.
  9. It did fairly well in the U.K. and hung around the top 20 for a couple of months at a time when songs would enter high and then plummet. The album also stuck around for a while. I’m not sure how much record label support he had in the US - didn’t they stop doing anything for the album when they heard he was gay? He talks a bit about it here

https://attitude.co.uk/article/sava...areer-suffered-after-coming-out-as-gay/15104/

I was convinced Strange Relationship was going to be massive and then it tanked.

londonrain, poshbabyyy and LPT like this.
  10. I know it was massive but sometimes massive wrong songs hurt artists in the long run and I think Insatiable was one, he was coming off SG going solo of course the first single would've been big - it didn't really set him up for a big solo career as it should've done.

11. Strange Relationship is such a tune, I think I would have released that first. But I do love Insatiable, and get what they were going for. Didn't he say everyone heard it and was like this is going to be absolutely massive rather than he himself thinking it?

12. He’s just shared a little clip of ‘Do You Remember?’ on Instagram.

poshbabyyy, LPT, mrp2910 and 5 others like this.
  13. Insatiable is great, what are y'all talking about?

poshbabyyy and Coochi like this.
  14. This Delicate Thing is a masterpiece. One of my favourite albums of all time.

londonrain, poshbabyyy, LPT and 2 others like this.
  15. Don’t do Nadine like that

16. I’m listening to Spin for the first time in ages and outside the singles it’s really not very good given the big names involved. The lyrics on Good Enough are up there with Mel C’s phone lyric.

17. I really enjoy Spin but I feel like most of the songs could do with a radio edit. A few of them meander at the end.

18. jtm

jtm

That would be a great bonus for the re-releases. Like It Or Not as a 3-4 minute edit is something I wanted for a very long time.

poshbabyyy, Daniel L and Txetxu like this.
  19. I'm finding some of the opinions here a tad weird! Insatiable is great and has always gone down really well when I've seen him live. Definitely one of the highlights of Spin, which, while it certainly doesn't reach the standards of the albums that followed it, I've always found a tad underrated to be honest. I really like all the singles and Like It Or Not is one of my all time favourite Darren songs (that melody is bulletproof).

Pop!ular was a risky first single (wasn't that the point?!) but I still think it's a great one. I love when an artist almost "jumps ship" on what has come before, and I think Pop!ular was definitely an example of that. Also, I get that there are more meaningful lyrics and more mellow sounds on the album, but the sound of it is not being representative of the album?! I find it very much in the same vein as I Like The Way, Love and Attraction and Hero.

On The Verge Of Something Wonderful is amazing. I love it so much. Definitely one of my favourite Darren songs ever. I think it was a great lead- it has the electro touches but is also very poppy, and it works so well as a statement song as his first single on his own label. The lyrics are great and it always, always makes me feel happy.

The new song is a tricky one for me- I like it, but I don't love it and I do understand the comments about the vocals. It's not even the falsetto I don't like (although perhaps there is a tad too much of it), it's the almost wooly, muffled quality they have in the lower parts. I also understand @cleggar 's comment, "the vocals don't gel with the instrumentation at all". That throbbing , electro backing with these almost slow-moving and muffled vocals, something's just not quite right. As @idratherjack says, the best part is the middle 8, and I think the reason for that is that the vocals seem to better align with the music at that part.

I just watched all 4 Mardi Gras performances- they're great! I wasn't expecting it to be such a large production (I'm not Australian and have zero awareness of Mardi Gras)- but it was quite impressive! Some great Darren moments- the Janet-esque dance break in I Want You, the emphasis on "I believe you can't control or choose your sexuality" in Affirmation, the overlaying of Let's Try Being In Love over Affirmation. Oh and the suit was amazing! I also got such a sense of Darren loving being there. Knowing how troubled he was by the sexuality thing earlier in his career it must have felt amazing to go out at Mardi Gras, as an out gay man, wearing that suit. Being a long term fan I think I know how much that would have meant to him and that really came across.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.