David Bowie - Young Americans | The Popjustice Forum

David Bowie - Young Americans

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Aime, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Falling in love with Bowie all over again, especially this album. Now, I don't deny that the Berlin trilogy is probably his finest work, but for a supposed 'sell out' (his words, not mine) album Young Americans is all kinds of brilliant. One of my favourite popstars doing my favourite genre of music, what's not to love? Oh, and then there's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z9b0GFRz9g

Fantastic.

2. In my opinion, one of his most underrated works. The title track is probably the single I never get tired of. My favourite album will always be Station To Station though.

3. The US liked this more than we in the UK appeared to. Maybe it was just too much of a change at the time. I think it's quite highly regarded now in some quarters, though obviously the 3 albums which followed it left Young Americans in the shade.

4. Now it must be a pretty obvious thing as R&B American music is mainstream, but in the beggining of the 70s, it must have been original to 'discover' afroamerican music for UK and Europe audiences. Young Americans is good, but it is a little naive (in fact, out of 8 tracks, I find 3 -Win, Right and Can you hear- me a bit weak). Bowie got into the US charts thanks to the 'Fame' single. Personally I prefer 'Station to station' and, of his discography from Young Americans on, my favourites would be Low', 'Scary monsters' and 'Black tie white noise', which is an R&B oriented album and is really exciting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.