David Bowie | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

David Bowie

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Shit, this is horrible. Such a loss.

2. The man literally just died and you're pulling out the "real fan" card? Really?

Don't be like that.

heavymetalGAGA, LTG, Jwentz and 27 others like this.
  3. I'm not pulling the 'real fan' card, I'm saying posts saying "ohh, I never listened to that old bloke, but I know some people who like his music, I guess" are incredibly disrespectful. He is not some obscure figure from the distant past that only music snobs would know.

4. David Bowie has died, losing his battle to cancer.

Thankyou for the memories and the fantastic music you provided.

R.I.P

Tommy Johnson likes this.
  5. I believe everyone was a Bowie fan, regardless if they were into his music or not. He's influenced too many artists (not just musicians) for someone not to be affected by this on some level.

6. Edu

Edu

You can't deny it was a very Bowie way to leave the world, though. Days after his birthday and the release of an album with a song called Lazarus... It's almost poetic, as sad as it is.

heavymetalGAGA, LTG, Jwentz and 6 others like this.
  7. My mind went to this song:

ManilaChinchilla likes this.
  8. Indeed, @JapaneseJesus! And, now, the pretty dark themes about death and the afterlife of the new album make a lot of sense. This was a man, perhaps facing certain near-term death, writing some of the most fascinating music of his late career.

mcuk, Edu and mindtrappa like this.
  9. ...has anybody here said anything remotely resembling that? If people weren't completely familiar with him before this, they weren't completely familiar with him. To take it as a sign of disrespect is completely misreading what some of the posters in here are saying.

10. I never did listen to his music but I am aware of his legacy and influence (Gaga and Madonna were avowed fans, I think he was Madonna's first concert) so I realize what a massive loss to music and art this is. RIP.

heavymetalGAGA likes this.
  11. Fuck, this is like when Michael Jackson died. At least Bowie went out on a high. Blackstar is incredible.

heavymetalGAGA likes this.
  12. Deeply saddening news to wake up to. Such a huge force in the pop music canon, he leaves a glorious legacy.

13. I feel surprisingly shaken by this sad news. He was a real inspiration to my older sister and his music has always played a role in my life as well, not to mention Labyrinth being one of my favorite movies of all time, and often wearing a shirt with his likeness on it.

14. Such sad news, "iconic" is an overused word but Bowie truly was iconic.

Both the song and video for Lazarus prove how much of a genius he was. I guess that song was his goodbye.

15. Stop fighting for fuck sake.

I can't take this in. It's unbelievable...

16. I'm lost for words. Unbelievable.

17. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

I can't process this. How awful.

18. You promised me the ending would be clear
    You'd let me know when the time was now
    Don't let me know when you're opening the door
    Stab me in the dark, let me disappear

19. Lazarus was his last video. It was released just a few days ago. Some of the lyrics, "Oh ill be free just like that bluebird oh ill be free ain't that just like me".

Very prophetic.

20. I'm not familiar with his music beyond the hits, but I appreciate him for subverting traditional notions of gender and sexuality at a time when things like that were very rarely done in the pop music arena. And, of course, Labyrinth was one of my favourite films growing up.

Rest in peace. That photo his son posted is heartbreaking... thoughts to his family and loved ones.

popprincess and VivaForever like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.