David Bowie | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

David Bowie

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Someone with a big following start a campaign to get Lazarus to number 1!

mcuk and HorseTears like this.
  2. Jane Wiedlin (of The Go-Go's) on Twitter:

3. I don't think anyone was saying that in the way you're interpreting it.

As someone else already mentioned, the fact that we can recognise his influence in the world without being avid followers or very familiar with his work speaks volumes of what he accomplished.

JuanJose and DreamlessNights like this.
  4. He seemed immortal, this is such sad news.

Even if you weren't a big fan, his influence can be seen in many PJ faves, like Madonna, Gaga, Sky Ferreira, Bjork, etc.

What an amazing figure head for modern pop culture.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    Andy French likes this.
  5. This has completely floored me, good God.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Bowie, but his death leaves maybe the biggest impact towards any and everyone who's ever dedicated their lives through music because of him.

How sad. Yet another example of someone you'd thought would somehow live forever.

Andy French and VivaForever like this.
  6. I'd love it if he hit number one on the singles chart again. It would be a fitting book-end to an amazing career.

7. I Can't Give Everything Away is really a moving ending to his career, listening to it now...

8. Last night I was on a long haul flight listening to Blackstar for the first time. I listened to it from start to finish twice and couldn't take it all in...I knew it'd be an album I'd need to listen to many times before it revealed everything.

Now I'm sitting on a rooftop in Sydney watching the sun set and listening to 'I Can't Give Everything Away' and I am just so sad. I can't express how much I admire David Bowie, nor can I comprehend how someone can create such a work of art whilst reaching the end of a terminal illness.

Hudweiser likes this.
  9. Oh my god, how eerie is the line "Where the fuck did Monday go?" on Girl Loves Me too.

10. The whole album is peppered with signposts, if we'd known we should be listening for them.

11. He literally released a song with the refrain "Where the fuck did Monday go?" on Friday, then died on Sunday.

Euphoria and Wills like this.
  12. I became a fan of his in '83 with Let's Dance and I also loved Never Let Me Down. I know his 80s period is polarizing but I love it. He was never boring. A great songwriter and vocalist. "Absolute Beginners" is one of the most beautiful love songs ever. So many incredible albums; so many incredible eras.

He was also an underrated actor. Just last week I watched The Hunger and he gave a beautiful and understated performance. Interestingly enough, his character was facing mortality. He was also brilliant as Andy Warhol in Basquiat.

I am glad he was able to retain his privacy up until the end and not become fodder for the tabloids or another TMZ exclusive. He went out on his own terms. And Bowie always did things on his own terms.

13. This is unbelievably sad. 6 Music is playing some amazing archive sessions today and hopefully some interesting interviews throughout the day.

I'd hate to think what today's music industry would look like without Bowie's impact.

VivaForever likes this.
  14. I can't process this right now. I can't. I won't.

I haven't been this in shock since Donna Summer.

15. Despite this being a sad day, it's nice to see the media celebrating someone so groundbreaking and creative.

It makes a welcome change from turning on the TV and seeing 1D or a Kardashian or the royals.

Deleted member 5343 and ModeRed like this.
  16. Terrible news. Totally out of the blue. The lyrics on the 'Blackstar' album make a lot more sense now.

17. I am just crying.

18. Too many coincidences. It's almost like he knew he was going to pass. From the lyrical content to his latest project to an Honorary concert at Carnegie Hall, just announced before he died. Trippy.

19. Indeed:

Leopold and ManilaChinchilla like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.