David Bowie | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

David Bowie

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Jan 11, 2016.

1. So, so sad.
    He was a true legend in every sense of the word. An amazing artist who's music will live on forever.

2. I posted my respects for Bowie, this was just an observation. It's a discussion forum, not his funeral for goodness sake.

3. In the coming days there will be a lot of magazines, books, articles, blogs, and features published about David Bowie. None of the them will do justice to the man, his music, or the profound impact he made on popular culture. His music and the visual art he created around the music had (and still have) such a powerful influence on me. I turn towards his music whenever I feel uninspired. I watch his videos whenever I want to see what performance looks like. To call him an icon almost seems like underselling what he accomplished. He transformed everything. The extent of his influence will be felt forever.

My first experience of Bowie was the video for Ashes To Ashes. I can't remember if my sister brought me towards Bowie...but I always remember him there be it as Ziggy Stardust, The Thin White Duke, Jareth The Goblin King, or the jolly man dancing with Mick Jagger. His music has been a constant in my ears and life. I admire that he wasn't afraid to experiment in all areas of his life and art. I find that fearlessness very compelling. I wish I could be like him in that respect. He was never afraid being uncool either. From Labyrinth to covering Love Missile F1-11, he did as he pleased and people followed him, or at least came around to his ideas in the end.

I think the best thing about Bowie is that even until he died, he was releasing smart and captivating music. Literally the week of his death he put out one of his best albums. Blackstar is out in the shops. Go and buy it. Bowie was never one for nostalgia, so celebrate his life and legacy by listening to new music. Then reach for Ziggy or Scary Monsters.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  4. Blackstar (the album) is the perfect swansong. He will live forever. Rest in peace legend.

5. (Reposting so it makes sense:)
    When I was a teenager I was very depressed and confused, lonely, afraid. I discovered David Bowie and he became everything to me. Because of him and his modern notions of sexuality, I told my parents, at age 14, that "Bi is best." His music and lyrics shaped my whole life. His beauty dictated the men I would love. His songwriting set a standard for me, that I could never possibly hope to even approach. At 15.5 I was so sad and hopeless I tried to kill myself. I took 4 bottles of phenobarbital. My suicide note read "Please tell David Bowie I love him." Nobody on this planet made such an impact on me as he. NOBODY.

I never thought I'd live to be 21. Then I REALLY thought I'd never make it to 30. When my first marriage ended, everyone including my husband thought I'd be dead within a year. I never thought I'd outlive my parents. But more than anything, I never thought I'd live to see David Bowie die. My heart is broken. One of the most important people of the 20th century is gone and I can't fucking handle it.

This finished me. For some reason, I was the same when Michael and Whitney died. I was deeply sad but tears came when I started reading other people's notes on the fact.

6. Good that he left us with some new music, but this isn't news we wanted. I'm tearing up now. If you were a schoolkid in the early seventies, like I was, he was massive. Managed to see him live once, in New York 1983, and that was magical. His legend and genius will endure.

MrMannacroix and Vasilios like this.
  7. Unbelievably shocking news, I am only really aware of his major hits, classic looks and the influence he has had on some of my favourite artists.

Being such a huge and important icon everyone has experienced him in some way or another, my favourite film of all time is The Snowman and I grew up watching his intro to it so he played a special role in my childhood through that.

RIP David.

Jwentz and VivaForever like this.
  8. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

His influence is so vast and his impact so all-encompassing that you don't have to be intimate with his back catalogue to appreciate his work. I consider myself a fan yet only know a few of his albums but I'm as familiar as everyone else when it comes to his singles. His fearlessness when it came to trying something new is a trait we should all aspire to emulate. David Bowie is one of a handful of artists who will live on not only through his music, but through the shockwaves he sent around the world with his unique sense of style.
    They will be playing his music for centuries to come. Hopefully in outer space.

9. This should be on the main board!

10. Icons never die.

11. I'm in tears here.
    There are some people in life that make you feel immortal and magnificent. That make you feel no matter how odd or unlikely you may be, you can make it work for you. You can embrace it and every other imaginable part of who you are and who you are not. David was the essence of this.
    When true icons fall It feels like they take part of your hope, dreams and aspirations with them somehow.
    He created magic and so much of what he stood for and inspired is the reason I log on here everyday.
    Today I feel very mortal.
    Thanks for everything

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016

12. I think you largely answered your own question. The middle has gotten very homogenized. It's good that Bowie started when he did. If he were starting out today, he'd probably have a loyal, but very small following and be considered a largely fringe alternative artist. You know, like Roisin Murphy. For all the avant-garde influences, groundbreaking songwriting and production and wonderfully weird visual flair, it can be easy to forget that Bowie was a genuine pop star. Just like Kate Bush was in the 80s and Bjork was in the 90s. Of course, there will continue to be talented - even visionary - artists who make boldly original music, but the chances of them becoming genuine global superstars and household names today are pretty damn slim.

Wishlight and Baby Clyde like this.
  13. So sad. A real loss.

Re: his illness, there were whispers floating round for the past couple of years that he wasn't in the best of health. In fact, I remember reading about 2 years ago some rumours that he was actually gravely ill – so I'm glad he recovered well enough to start making music again.

14. My favourite Bowie song will alway be this, mainly because 1986 was the year I properly got into music.

MrMannacroix and HorseTears like this.
  15. [​IMG]

Wishlight, LTG, K94 and 5 others like this.
  16. I remember even before he returned with The Next Day reading rumours he'd never sing again as he had throat cancer. He had a massive heart attack 10 years ago.

Anyone know what his last live performance was?

17. As an 80s kid I'll always remember him in Labyrinth, I watched that film until I wore out my VHS tape!

RIP.

18. As someone who didn't know his music very well, his passing encourages me to seek out, without delay, not just his music but that of so many other legends whose work I also always meant to catch up on. If only so that their passings don't leave me with this feeling of definite but what feels like incomplete sadness. I think, and hope, that's fitting enough commemoration for someone who meant so much to music in its entirety.

Rest in peace, David.

Wills, Wishlight, RainOnFire and 3 others like this.
  19. Also what a bop.

Eric Generic likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.