Dead Boss (New Sharon Horgan BBC Three Comedy) | The Popjustice Forum

Dead Boss (New Sharon Horgan BBC Three Comedy)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by passionoia, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Had anyone even heard of this?

I just noticed a little article today in the paper saying it was on tonight, is about Sharon Horgan playing a women wrongly sent to prison for killing her boss and feature Jennifer Saunder as the prison gov'ner.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  2. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

Saw one advert on TV last week saying "Coming Soon" and then next thing I saw it on the EPG as it was about to start on BBC HD. Recorded it, yet to watch, but Sharon is generally a safe bet for comedy.

3. I was going to make a topic about this.

Halfway through episode 1 it got really funny.

I just love Sharon so much.

I've yet to watch episode 2.

4. I really enjoyed this. I don't recall seeing Sharon Horgan in anything else, but I might check more of her stuff out based on this. Both episodes were pretty funny.

5. It was enjoyable but slightly disappointing. Certainly no Pulling.

It didn't seem to know whether it wanted to be some Psychoville-esque dark mystery comedy with plot threads about who framed the Sharon Horgan character or some IT Crowd-esque daft sitcom set in a womans prison. Or maybe it was trying to be both? But whatever the result was that it didn't really go for it balls out in either direction.

Also while Sharon (who was basically playing Donna) and Jennifer were great the rest of the cast were good but not good enough to sell some of the weaker moments. Top Dog was especially rubbish. However I must say the sister was brilliant. And it's always nice to see Julie T Wallace, even if she didn't do much.

All in all though there were some moments which made me laugh out loud and better than most recent comedy output the beeb has put out. It could have been funnier but it was still fun.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  6. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

Yes, I mostly agree with the above. Just watched the first two. It had some really good lines, but a lot of them would have worked better on the page than they did delivered. I guess having Jeremy Dyson as the script editor lends it that Psychoville / League of Gentlemen air. It just didn't seem to know whether it wanted to be clever or stupid, witty or slapstick. Sharon Horgan's "confused" face can get repetitive even to fans. I almost would have preferred it if she'd been more hard faced and did slap them down with her words and ended up becoming top dog herself, even if she didn't want to be.

I'll carry on with it, but it's pretty messy.

7. Yeah, during the second episode I got quite bored.
    Don't really care for the "mystery" and all the characters besides Sharon and Jennifer are a bit annoying.

Pulling really seems to be Sharon's magnum opus.

I hope she creates something equally as brilliant someday.
    (Or just does another season...)

I know she does the same face over and over again but I love the face so much.

8. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

Assuming this is 6 episodes, they've not really done anything about the actual murder mystery.

As for Sharon in other things, I didn't get past episode one of The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret as it was shite. I never got round to seeing Angelo's either, anyone see her in that? (She wrote that too.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  9. SBK

SBK

I wanted to like this but I found it nothing more than okay. There were a few funny lines, but overall I found it to lack something. I could easily miss it and not be bothered.

10. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

In Liverpool they call this programme "Very Cool".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.