Dead Or Alive | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

Dead Or Alive

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Sugaste, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Sugaste

Sugaste Guest

Nude is such a fantastic record; even the remix album was brilliant. I hope with new record they can mix together all the genres and sounds they've gone through and come out with a fresh but distinctly DoA uptempo album.

2. oh, someone saw fit to drop this thread in the dumper... no doubt to make way for a 400th Girls Aloud / Britney / Gaga thread. Oh well, kinda wish i'd not bothered now.

3. The forum, as you can see, is also for 'comebacks' and 'retro music'.

4. Mmmm interesting, so it's okay for St Etienne and Banarama, Grace Jones, Blondie etc to have threads in the general section even though they rarely release new material and are basically past their best.

5. It always annoys me when people think all there is to Dead Or Alive is You Spin Me Round.

Nude is in my top 10 albums of all time - it's SAW pop being done better than SAW!

Turn Around and Count 2 Ten, Stop Kicking My Heart Around, Come Home (With Me Baby), I Cannot Carry On and My Forbidden Lover are all amazing HiNRG pop and I would love if Pete made a return to this kind of pop stomper.

6. Surely if they're releasing new music, this could have stayed in the Pop & Justice section...

Anyway; I look forward to it. DoA are amazing; and have never had a duff album (Though the first 4 are slightly better than the rest.)

7. Maybe we have to wait for a song or album title before that can happen?

Kim Wilde has a thread in the general section for her new single even though it is just a comeback.

I love your comment Call It love where you describe 'Nude' as 'SAW pop done better than SAW'. That's exactly how I would have put it.

8. I love a bit of Dead Or Alive, and as has been said already, I don't really think they've made a bad album (the Unbreakable album doesn't count, right? - I didn't even manage to get all the way through it once). However, I won't hold my breath for a new album. Just how many times in the last ten years have they promised a brand new one?

It's heartening to see so many people praising Nude too. Didn't they fall out with SAW prior to recording the album? I know that they, rather pettily but amusingly, used to put their names in the incorrect order on the sleeves, I presume to piss them off.

9. moorje

moorje Guest

All of those people have had new music out within the past 2 years and are still performing. Aside from one song Pete Burns hasn't released anything new in over 10 years and cancelled 90% of his live dates. There is actually a thread about his duet with The Dirty Disco in the main thread, but like everything else he does it will probably get shelved. We'll have to make do with the glory days for now.

10. I had actually forgotten it's been 7 years since 'Evolution' was released (scary where the time has gone) Although 'You Spin Me Round' went top 5 in 2006 after Pete's stint in the Big Brother House.

11. It's a great shame he's such a nightmare to organise and has no work ethic. He's really pissed what career he had up the wall... He made some comment about how 'You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)' was like a school uniform that people kept expecting him to wear years after he left school. He should offer something new to wear, then!

His nearest comparrison/peer is probably Boy George and George has managed to put out so much material consistantly, whereas Pete has just done nothing. It's such a shame. When the PSB collaboration came out, there was a lot of press and interest and I got excited myself. Who knew it would come to absolutely nothing. He's had plenty of chances, too - from Big Brother, to retruning to the top 5, to his own TV show on Living TV to appearences with Scissor Sisters and he's just not got the goods. I'm so disappointed in him. The best I can hope for are the Dead Or Alive albums being re-issued as deluxe 2CDs (which are on the cards, I believe).

12. moorje

moorje Guest

I think he would make a much better TV presenter than singer these days. He doesn't seem to have any interest in making new music or seeing a project through. Yes, he's had the whole spectrum of human experience thrown at him over the past few years but that artistic drive to keep him going through the troubles seems to be lacking. One of the few times he seemed relaxed was when he was presenting Surgery Nightmares on UK Living (or something like that). He was very attentive to his guests and they spoke to each other as equals rather than as celeb/oddity. I wouldn't want a reality show but I'd love more interviews.

13. I'd rather have a killer album anyday. Even at gun point.

14. That sounds too good to be true. I've collected various CD compilations and singles over the past few years to get as many 12" Extended Mixes as possible in digital audio, still it's just the tip of the ice berg with loads of remixes being vinyl only. Shame the 12" Compilation didn't get released. (though even that one is far from complete) The japanese promo copy of that is probably the holy grail in DoA fandom.

I wouldn't mind a compilation with early Dead Or Alive/Nightmares on Wax singles either.

15. Just for referencing sake, here's the 12inches Collection tracklist and where you can find those mixes on CD:

CD 1:
    1. You Spin Me Round (Murder Mix)
    Available on Hi-NRG Dance Classics Volume 1 - Perfect Quality from Original Master source. There are two british CD compilations (12"/80s/Dance and SAW Gold) that have a heavily distorted and way too loud mix from a vinyl source and a German compilation that sources the Hi-NRG Dance Classics Volume 1 version, but is distorted and sped up.

2. Lover Come Back To Me (Extended Version)
    You'll find this on the 11-track Youthquake Re-Issue CD from the 90's. It's the version that's sold at Amazon.co.uk. Beware, the Amazon.com version is the normal American 9-track edition sans the additional mixes, with other version of the album tracks (that I prefer) and cleaner, more pristine sound quality.

3. My Heart Goes Bang (12" US Wipe Out Mix)
    Available on Evolution 2-Disc Limited Edition.

4. Brand New Lover (Up Ducky Mix)

5. Something In My House (US Wipe Out Mix Part 2)
    Available on Hi-NRG Dance Classics Volume 2 - Perfect Quality from Original Master source.

6. I'll Save You All My Kisses (The Long Wet Sloppy Kiss Mix)

7. Turn Around And Count 2 Ten (The Pearl & Dean I Love BPM Mix)
    Available on various CD singles.

8. Come Home With Me, Baby (12" Version)
    Available on various CD singles and Australian Sex Drive - The Remixes EP (best Quality). Beware, the japanese Nude Remade and Remodelled Remix Companion Album has a fade from the previous track.

9. Baby, Don't Say Goodbye (Club Mix)

CD2:
    1. You Spin Me Round (Performance Mix)
    You'll find this on the 11-track Youthquake Re-Issue CD from the 90's. It's the version that's sold at Amazon.co.uk. The version on "Evolution" is a bit too loud and distorted.

2. Lover Come Back To Me (Extended Remix)
    Available on retro:active 5 rare & remixed. Sounds a bit loud, filtered and thinny, but it's better than a vinyl rip.

3. My Heart Goes Bang (Extended Remix)
    Available on retro:active 6 rare & remixed. Sounds a bit loud, filtered and thinny, but it's better than a vinyl rip.

4. Brand New Lover (The Dust Monkeys Love Bubble Mix)
    Available on Hi-NRG Classics. Box set from the same people who released the Hi-NRG Dance Classics compilations. Great quality from master source.

5. Something In My House (Mortevicar Mix)
    6. I'll Save You All My Kisses (The Sonya Mezumbda Memorial Mix)

7. Turn Around And Count 2 Ten (Remade Remodelled Mixed Version)
    This is an edited down version with fade-ins/outs of the Pearl And Dean "I Had A Disco Dream" Remix. Like the title says, you'll find this on the Nude Remade and Remodelled Remix Companion Album.

8. Come Home With Me, Baby (Dead House Dub 12" Mix)
    Available on various CD singles.

9. Baby, Don't Say Goodbye (Cheers Vocal Mix)

In addition to these mixes you'll find an edit of the Hooked On Love (The Big Revolver Mix) on Evolution 2-Disc Limited Edition. Another rarity is the 7" version of Brand New Lover you'll find on VH1 The Big 80's Compilation CD.

Have I missed anything? anfunny?

16. A 12" Dead Or Alive CD Collection would be amazing. I would also like to see pre 'Spin Me Round' 12" singles also included though.

17. I have mixed feelings about DoA. From what I've heard so far they seem deeply variable to be honest.

That said, someone introduced me to "Brand New Lover" a couple of months back and it rapidly became one of my favourite tracks ever. Deliciously callous and I think the production is an nice advance from the You Spin Me Round style. I especially love the "Up Ducky "Mix.

"Special Star" surprised the hell out of me though. It's rather a tender little lyric, which I really never expected. Love it.

18. 'Nude' is all kinds of Amazing!!!

'I Don't Want To Be Your Boyfriend' is just perfection. How many times have you wanted to say exactly that to someone.

Some of the album has dated quite badly but this has a more Salsoul kinds feel to it rather than High Enerygy and consequently sounds classier than some of the other tinnier tracks.

Having said that Nude is a kind of lost masterpiece.

19. couldn't agree more! i think Dead Or Alive kind of suffered in the shadows of the mighty 'You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)' in the subsequent years, and the relentless unfortunate setbacks from 1986 - 1990 denied them the full greatness and recognition they truly deserved.

i recall my delight at Q magazine giving Evolution 4/5, and thinking they finally have their place in pop history secured. Sadly, the issues of 86-90, were nothing compared with the setbacks of the last 10 years!

Dead Or Alive is pop music at it's very best and most exciting. I truly hope one day we get more of the same.

20. Just popped in my copy of Fan The Flame and it's better than I remember! Very enjoyable, actually. Very different from the albums surrounding it, but solid, sentimental pop. Pete sounds fantastic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.