Dead Or Alive

Question for those who have already ripped their Still Spinnin’ set, is the version of “Rebel Rebel” the original single version? That’s my favorite version of their cover (and wasn’t on any of the previous reissues) and no review I’ve read has even touched anything after the Nude era dddd.

Just in case anyone isn't visiting the reissue thread... yet more new Dead Or Alive product!...

DOA.png

Dead Or Alive - Running Wild: The Inevitable Years - (LP Berry Red Vinyl Album)

Having been ‘discovered’ working in Liverpool’s Probe Records during the punk rock explosion of the late 1970s Pete Burns quickly found himself fronting his very own band Nightmares In Wax who quickly mutated into the more familiar Dead Or Alive. A star was born.

But prior to pop superstardom tabloid-tantalising celebrity and his later revival and recognition as an icon of gay punk and pop culture Pete led Dead Or Alive into far darker waters as one of the earliest explorers of the post-punk Goth scene. Captured on two remarkable 7” singles originally released on Liverpool label Inevitable the band also caught the attention of the ever-reliable John Peel and recorded material for his seminal BBC Radio One programme.

‘Running Wild’ compiles those early singles and related Peel Session highlights bringing the latter to vinyl for the first time. Pressed on berry red vinyl and housed in a cover photograph by Dead Or Alive’s then manager Francesco Mellina ‘Running Wild presents an early glimpse at the phenomenon Pete would become and a long overdue back story accompaniment for fans and collectors alike.

"Dead Or Alive - Running Wild: The Inevitable Years" is out Friday, 31st May 2024 on Cherry Red Records and available for pre-order now.

Tracklisting

SIDE A - The Singles​

1. I’m Falling
  2. Flowers
  3. Number Eleven
  4. Namegame (Live version)

SIDE B - Peel Sessions​

1. Nowhere To Nowhere
  2. Running Wild
  3. Number Eleven
  4. Number Twelve
  5. Flowers

Is it the same remastering as the boxset because they honestly were ass. Rubellan’s remasters (exclusive to YouTube) from many years prior put those to shame!

The Pete Hammond Mixes RSD 2LP sounds absolutely fantastic. He’s done such a stellar job at interpreting these songs in the signature SAW style, it’s absolutely poppers-o-clock!

I Don’t Care About Your Heart is the highlight, better than the version that surfaced in FTF Pt. 2.

It’s coming to streaming and CD soon.

The vocals on most tracks are too low, no doubt due to using AI extracted ones, with existing EQ and digital artefacts, rather than proper clean versions off masters. Pete did his best, and I like them, but the vocal is the focus and shouldn’t have been scrimped on to save costs. I don’t believe there weren’t any masters at all of the multis for every song.

The vocals on most tracks are too low, no doubt due to using AI extracted ones, with existing EQ and digital artefacts, rather than proper clean versions off masters. Pete did his best, and I like them, but the vocal is the focus and shouldn’t have been scrimped on to save costs. I don’t believe there weren’t any masters at all of the multis for every song.
This was literally my instant thought as soon as I listened to Gone 2 Long and Pete’s vocals sounded really low in the mix, I thought it was such a shame, yet this is the first time I’ve seen anybody comment on it, everything else has been how amazing the remixes are.

Hey all

I think I can "fix" the low vocal in the mix. I haven't got my CD or digital copy yet but leave it with me and I'll let you know how I get on. I'm not a professional but have done a lot of digital HD remasters of my own music library and got some great results using some advanced tech.

Yeah, apart from the remix of I Don't Care About Your Heart (which I really love) the album sounds... fan mode. Not usual Pete Hammond quality unfortunately.

I really like Lover Come Back To Me, which was also a good mix on Fragile. I always felt the original ‘85 mix was missing oomph. The intro just didn’t sell the song.

Hey all

I think I can "fix" the low vocal in the mix. I haven't got my CD or digital copy yet but leave it with me and I'll let you know how I get on. I'm not a professional but have done a lot of digital HD remasters of my own music library and got some great results using some advanced tech.
There is an acapella of Hit And Run lover available that could easily be used to beef up the vocals.

Something a little different from me - a remix of Love Toy from Dead or Alive's Nude album sessions. This is a bit harder/heavier than my usual style. I kept the original vocal and synths/keys but added a layer of heavy bass and new drums. I know there are a lot of hardcore DOA fans on here so may not be everyone's cup of tea.... but I wanted to try something different.

Bazaart_20240622_095620_287.jpeg