Delta Goodrem - Wings Of The Wild | Page 52 | The Popjustice Forum

Delta Goodrem - Wings Of The Wild

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by BEST FICTION, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I CARNT get past feline! No other songs are getting a look in!!

2. I've held out this far, I can hold out another day until I can actually own it. So excited.

Island likes this.
  3. I listened to this on the request of the good sis @Island and it's very strong! I'll be taking a 9 track album away with me.

Feline
    Wings
    Dear Life
    Name Of Love
    Heavy
    Only Human
    The River
    Encore
    Hold On

Island likes this.
  4. Island

Island Staff Member

Standouts: Feline, Wings, In the Name of Love, The River
    Growers: Enough, Only Human
    I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_: I Believe In a Thing Called Love

No track goes below a 6. Her voice is divine and I'm so happy we got this album. All of her releases are so special and this is no exception. This might actually be her most cohesive album, too.
    Isn't it midnight for you guys in like 2 and a half hour?

Robbietoxic likes this.
  5. I like the I Believe In A Thing Called Love cover much, much more than I expected I would. I hate the song in its original form, but she definitely brings out the emotion in the lyrics a bit more.

6. Yeah but I won't be to download my preorder until I get home from work, so not far off a full day

Island likes this.
  7. What song is wings part two??

8. Nobody hate me but Feline would make a fantastic Eurovision entry.

Island likes this.
  9. Island

Island Staff Member

Apparently it's 'Hold On' but 'In the Name of Love' is the true Part II.

10. I cannot wait to get home and listen to this. I predict this will be me:

[​IMG]

Island and Smooth Criminal like this.
  11. Island

Island Staff Member

I was worried that this would be a picture of bald Delta and I would've been so sad.

munro likes this.
  12. I still haven't heard it... 2.5 hours to go...

Island likes this.
  13. Having not heard Wings for some months now, I literally cannot deal all over again at how fucking good it is.

I actually think I appreciate it more now. I loved it on release (and for the months after as I hammered it), and knew it was one of her best, but I now firmly believe it actually is her very best.

What a career moment.

14. Listening for the first time. So far I'm absolutely slaughtered.

The wild dance tribal pop vibe just suits her so much. It is like the Foxes album on steroids so far.

Oh my. Absolute queen. I hope PJ gives this a listen as it is far more Wings than Dear Life.

Island likes this.
  15. Ok so this is quite possibly her best album. And it's so gloriously pop and so gloriously camp.

Can we please all fight to keep this thread alive and on front page for a good while? I think the pop world needs to hear this.

Island likes this.
  16. Island

Island Staff Member

I've been doing promo all day xx

'In the Name of Love' for the next single. That or 'The River'.

munro and believeagain like this.
  17. I'm holding out for this to get onto Spotify tonight, but these reviews are killing me!

Island and believeagain like this.
  18. WINGS OF THE WILD

DELTA GOODREM

4 stars

[The House of OZ/SONY]

[​IMG]
    Delta Goodrem album cover Wings of the WildSource:Supplied

MAYBE it was turning 30. Or maybe it was being trolled for being herself. But something’s changed with Delta Goodrem.

Her fifth album is her best one since the teenager who charmed millions with her bare feet and bare emotions with her debutInnocent Eyes in 2003. After a four year break between albums Wings of the Wildis her most confident and empowered release.

It’s also full of unexpected moments, a mix of risks and experiments no one saw coming. How about Australia’s sweetheart singing “I took that loaded gun, forgive what I have done” on The River, a swamp-pop tale of busting an unfaithful boyfriend in the act and “shooting him down”. It’s her Rolling in the Deep meets Daddy Lessons, co-written and produced by Evanescence’s David Hodges and demonstrates in three minutes that 15 years into her career she’s still able to surprise.

See also Enough — the least Delta-like single of her career but a masterstroke. Rather than get Pitbull or FloRida to phone in a costly micro rap, Goodrem found upcoming US female rapper Gizzle, who gets to perform not only the first verse you hear but also narrate the bulk of the story. In an era of pop stars playing it safe to make hits deliberately for radio this is a dramatic event song with some of Goodrem’s most potent vocals. And it’s still wildly catchy. There’s also wailing metal-style guitar and Goodrem’s trademark plaintive piano — this is her Battle Scars and pulls off that rare trick of impressing both her true believers and potential new believers.

Lyrically Enough touches on the recurring theme here — Delta coming out fighting. Maybe it’s a dodgy ex, maybe she’s done being a soft target for anonymous internet haters. “No matter what I do I’m not breaking for you,” she states on Enough.

That defiant mindset fuels the album’s pounding heart, Feline. A fired-up Goodrem sings “everywhere you turn there’s another torch that burns, it doesn’t hurt me anymore ... you woke up the animal and I’m never going back, I’m the leader of the pack.”

Musically it’s unlike anything she’s done before — picture Florence and the Machine’s Arabian nightclub — an immense live string section, booming beats and a jumbo chorus. It is her ‘I am woman, hear me roar’ moment.

You’ll also hear her raw — Heavy is one of her darkest ballads to date, Goodrem’s rarely sounded so bruised and broken, or sang so rapidly as the rapid-fire verse at the end. Last year’s intimate but intense Only Human finds a fitting home here, I’m Not Giving Up sees co-writer Dave Bassett (Elle King’s Ex’s and Oh’s) help create an fiery anthem as Goodrem serves up affirmations after some of the previous doubt and hurt.

Just Call recalls the bouncy swagger of Emeli Sande’s Next to Me, but with turbo percussion, In the Name of Love comes from local team DNA and sits nicely alongside Wings; another pop banger with piano, beats and huge vocals in the chorus.

Indeed, Wings now pinpoints a seismic shift with Goodrem — morphing her trademark sound into new styles and embracing the chameleon aspect of modern pop.

Her longest musical collaborator, Vince Pizzinga, gets many moments to shine here while Goodrem takes more control than ever, co-producing many tracks and even releasing it on her own boutique label imprint.

Her reimagining of the Darkness’ I Believe in a Thing Called Love is a triumph — originally recorded for her brother’s wedding it turns the glam rock beast into a stunning piano lament with Goodrem’s sky high vocals up there with Justin Hawkins’ wail calls.

Famous since she was 16, Delta’s already grown up in front of the entire country — this just makes it official on a musical level.

CAMERON ADAMS

Island likes this.
  19. I played this earlier today and it left me feeling confused, I didn't feel some of the songs but now that I'm on my second play I have to say that the album is good, there's like 1 or 2 tracks I don't care for at all but it's mostly good. I guess it was worth the wait oh and there are some good surprises in here like Feline and most of the second half + the singles ofc (except Only Human), I also love the I Believe in a Thing Called Love cover, I had no idea she was covering so it was a nice surprise.

20. Dear Life might be the worst thing on this album, so naturally it was a single.

Island likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.