Demi Lovato - Dancing With the Devil: The Art of Starting Over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Context people.
What is the context? That she finds someone else's problems funny but expects sympathy for her own? I'm glad Wale and others called her out on her hypocrisy, maybe she might learn. Until then, she really should just stay off social media because she does herself no favours.

Context people.
ICE, a governmental entity that many want abolished because it has long been known that they engage in horrific practices, has detained 21 Savage...
When called out, she tried to act as though the memes she found funny were focused on the idea that 21 Savage is actually British, and were completely apolitical and in no way connected to a law enforcement agency in whose custody children have been dying...
The fact that she can see all of this as entirely apolitical shows immense white privilege...

She's laughing because who knew 21 Savage was english, and specifically a joke of writing with a feather pen. Everyone is looking at these memes so call me rude, but Demi was just playing along and god forbid she finds something funny. She wasn't laughing at the fact his situation with the ICE, or deportation at all.

When called out, she tried to act as though the memes she found funny were focused on the idea that 21 Savage is actually British, and were completely apolitical and in no way connected to a law enforcement agency in whose custody children have been dying...
Because she actually was looking at them through this lens. She wasn't pretending, these are memes. No one takes depth into consideration, even when they debatably should.

It's obviously something risky to publish with her platform but, please, that doesn't excuse people calling her crackhead and making jokes of her overdose of only six months ago. In her mind these were harmless memes, she explained this, obviously if she knew better she wouldn't have broadcasted them.

Last edited:
ICE, a governmental entity that many want abolished because it has long been known that they engage in horrific practices, has detained 21 Savage...
The fact that she can see all of this as entirely apolitical shows immense white privilege...

Demi Lovato isn’t white and neither am I.

Demi Lovato isn’t white and neither am I.
She's white passing and benefits from it...
And as a POC she should be aware that the very existence of POC in the US is inherently political and cannot be looked at in any kind of vacuum; people are joking about 21 Savage being British because he is in the custody of a law enforcement agency that has killed children...
If black people choose to use humor in instances of injustice, white (passing) people can still observe and appreciate without taking up space in their coping...
Nobody should have brought her past into it, but none of this would have happened if she just didn't tweet...

She wasn’t the only celebrity posting memes about it though and because stan twitter seems to have a vendetta against her she got the brunt of it. The reply to Wale wasn’t necessary but the backlash that only she is getting is odd.
Two wrongs don’t make one right.

He/Him/His
......... Sis. She shouldn't be thrown jokes about her overdose. And it has absolutely nothing to do with my cartwheels for Selena.
No one said her overdose should be joked about it, but just like you reached for “she was laughing at the memes that called him a Brit!!”, I’ll say “I’m talking about other tweets rightfully calling her out!!”

Those lighthearted memes and those darker overdose tweets are part of a larger narrative, period

Status
Not open for further replies.