Destiny’s Child

Well Toya and Tavia did get solos here

Oh my gosh, this song was a slog to get through, regardless of the vocal distribution. No wonder it was left off of the standard album track list and used as a specific bonus track.

Nice to hear LeToya & LaTavia’s vocals fully but a wasted moment with a song like this. I would have loved to see them work their chops round a verse of ‘Bills, Bills, Bills’, ‘Where Do You Go’, ‘Jumpin Jumpin’ or ‘Say My Name’ to really show the power, grit and growl to their vocals.

Well, I still hear Beyoncé over-powering all the girls in the choruses of their songs and BVs. I get that she was the lead vocalist but still, when it comes to the chorus, you'd think they would balance it out a little more.

But, like somebody else mentioned before, why would they? The group was built by Matthew as a vechile for Beyoncé. The singers were chosen to compliment her and Built around building her up. The whole aim was to showcase her and have her be the lead. It wasn’t like say TLC, Sugababes or even the Spice Girls where everybody gets a chance to shine. This was the Beyoncé show and they had to either take it or leave it. Kelly took it, unfortunately Letoya and Latavia didn’t.

Mvnl

Staff member
I mean it's pretty clear that's what Matthew (and Beyoncé) wanted but were the other girls in on this?
It's one thing to say 'well her dad's managing it, so obviously she gets special treatment, duh' but were they approached with just the idea of 'let's form a girl band!' or 'hey we're looking for backing singers for Beyoncé's launch to fame'?

Last edited:
Well, my original post was saying that if they ever did new music I hope the vocals would be more evenly distributed. Then others were saying that they thought they pretty much were but I didn't really agree.

I would hope that if they ever did anything new in the future it would feel more balanced, it's not as if Beyoncé needs to be 'pushed' as the star anymore, but who knows.

I mean it's pretty clear that's what Matthew (and Beyoncé) wanted but were the other girls in on this?
It's one thing to say 'well here dad's managing it, so obviously she gets special treatment, duh' but were they approached with just the idea of 'let's form a girl band!' or 'hey we're looking for backing singers for Beyoncé's launch to fame'?

A part of me is hoping it is the latter for the pure LOL’s, like ‘yeah, sure, I’ll happily back up someone else to make them look good’. Then realising the success and wanting more pieces of the pie!

I just remember a Behind the Music (or similar special) about Beyonce that was released in the mid to late aughts, and the interview they did with Kelly was hilarious. She was praising Beyonce like she was an angel walking among us and acted as if she was so lucky to have been allowed into a group with her. And so at that point, I realized Kelly understood her place in Destiny's Child, Beyonce's journey, and apparently in life.

I just remember a Behind the Music (or similar special) about Beyonce that was released in the mid to late aughts, and the interview they did with Kelly was hilarious. She was praising Beyonce like she was an angel walking among us and acted as if she was so lucky to have been allowed into a group with her. And so at that point, I realized Kelly understood her place in Destiny's Child, Beyonce's journey, and apparently in life.

When she got her breast implants she did this interview with People magazine -

“I was sick of not fitting into my tops,” she says. “There was this one really hot House of Dereon top — I just wanted to fill that out!”

Rowland says that top — designed by Beyoncé’s mom, Tina Knowles — complements her new curves: “I put it on and I looked so good! I’m so happy. I feel complete.”

Toya has been nothing but lovely each time she talks about Beyonce. The praise never stops, for real.
Also, deceased at the 'You know how normally, the lead singer once they've done their role or whatever... You come in and sing your four lines'. I love her.

Here's the entire thing. Very insightful and entertaining.

BTW, check out her YT channel. She's amazing.

Honestly I've never been too bothered about Bey being the focus of the group. Just looking at the Get On The Bus video you could see the level of hunger and skill she had as a teenager already. She was also smart enough to distribute the verses from Survivor on, even giving the lead to Kelly for Bootylicious. It hardly was a 3LW situation where a group was built around a clearly inept singer because she had connections.

Promithes promithes.

Honestly I've never been too bothered about Bey being the focus of the group. Just looking at the Get On The Bus video you could see the level of hunger and skill she had as a teenager already. She was also smart enough to distribute the verses from Survivor on, even giving the lead to Kelly for Bootylicious. It hardly was a 3LW situation where a group was built around a clearly inept singer because she had connections.

Promithes promithes.
Kiely Williams isn't an inept singer fff.