Destiny's Child | Page 35 | The Popjustice Forum

Destiny's Child

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Sabrina, Feb 2, 2007.

1. The Writing's on the Wall >>> Debut > Destiny Fulfilled >>>>>>>>>> Survivor

Outta This World likes this.
  2. The Writing's on the Wall 10/10
    Survivor 9/10
    Destiny Fulfilled 7.5/10
    Destiny's Child 5/10

3. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

I don't really like Survivor. It was always going to be tough following up an album as incredible as The Writing's On the Wall, but it's such a mixed bag to the point of being its detriment. I mean, "Nasty Girl" alone... yikes. The title track is also my least favourite of their big hits, I can say that with certainty.

I've only ever used "Bootylicious", "Emotion", "Brown Eyes", and both parts of "Independent Women" from that album. I can take or leave the rest.

4. I'm always so surprised that fans don't like the Survivor album. Writing's on the Wall is obviously untouchable but as a follow up I love it, even though it is at times a bit... lightweight. Songs like Sexy Daddy, Dance With Me, Happy Face and Fancy could qualify as filler and yet I like each one. Nasty Girl and My Heart Still Beats are the only two I'd axe, and out of 16 tracks - that's pretty good.

I love Brown Eyes and Story of Beauty, especially.

Angeleyes, Island, Conan and 2 others like this.
  5. Nasty Girl definitely didn't age well. I'm also always surprised by how many songs they have with lyrics where they encourage a guy to cheat, or mock his girlfriend.

lushLuck likes this.
  6. Cater 2 U makes me nauseous.

TurnItIntoLove and Daniel_O like this.
  7. The little secret weapon of Survivor is miss Apple Pie

The production is still so cool and boppy

[​IMG]

Angeleyes, Island, mmcg10 and 5 others like this.
  8. I don't understand the dislike Cater 2 U.

Troylovesmusic and jawow_ like this.
  9. nn I enjoy the song a lot but those lyrics...

lushLuck, sinner and sesita like this.
  11. It’s a good song with terrible lyrics.

RainOnFire likes this.
  12. Brown Eyes lyrics are 100x worse than Cater 2 U's.

lushLuck likes this.
  13. The ‘Nasty Girl’ video and song are ridiculous as the ‘Nasty Girls’ are dressed the exact same as Destiny’s child would be in almost any other video/performance and it’s the only time they are not flashing the flesh.

A whole song and video about ‘Slut Shaming’ on the same album you’re telling women to be ‘Bootylicious’?

Girl.

14. Would of been better as Nasty Boys. Would of been a nice Janet throw back.

lushLuck and superglowy like this.
  15. "Nasty Girls" always felt ridiculously hypocritical - it's one thing for them to flit back and forth between sexy rags on the "Survivor" beach and sultry gospel tunes praising the Lord, it's another for them to scorn other women for what they did on the regular.

The rest of the album is fire to me, despite the overlong tracklist. Lots of easy, breezy tunes.

Without a doubt their very best.

Runawaywithme, V3RYP05H, Mvnl and 4 others like this.
  16. I love Nasty Girl. The production and the vocals are amazing.

Troylovesmusic likes this.
  17. If it weren't for the lyrics, Nasty Girl would be top-tier DC3 for me. But alas....

V3RYP05H, Nwonder, Island and 3 others like this.
  18. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

What I would give for a rewrite of Cater 2 U. The melodies are gorgeous and the production is stunning, I don't think anyone can deny that. But those lyrics... ugh.

The thing is that I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with being accommodating to your partner for a special night or whatever, but there was a way to make that sound romantic and they failed spectacularly.

19. For a girl band who gained fame from dissing men on Writings on the Wall, it always surprised me that many of songs on Survivor seemed to be about dissing women. The title track, Nasty Girl and Fancy are the ones that spring to mind. I still love the album though, some great memories of childhood including listening to Happy Face on repeat.

jawow_, lushLuck and Mvnl like this.
  20. Just goes to show how selective our outrage and online #cancellation parties can be. There's lots of material if you want to tear pretty much any human being apart.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.