Diana Ross

So after getting her six Funky Town Reissues, I'm having a first real listen to her 80's material. God, Eaten Alive has is so good! Those three singles are all 10/10. Only listened to that one (which I had admittedly already downloaded), Swept Away and Red Hot Rhythm & Blues. All three are very solid so far.

What is the general consensus? Her best 80's album? I know and enjoy Diana but even that is half killer, half filler.

they / them
The more explicitly Bee Gee-sy songs really put a dampener on Eaten Alive for me, despite the fact that the title track is one of her best songs. I really hate the Gibbs brothers backing vocals. Ick.

Unpopular (but probably worryingly textbook contrarian) opinion alert: I think Ross is hands down her best album of the '80s. It's certainly the most consistent. diana is very good, but any record containing two songs as good as I'm Coming Out and Upside Down was always going to seem like it was made up of peaks and troughs. Why Do Fools isn't at all bad, but feels slight and has too much of a corporate gloss (though Mirror Mirror remains amazing).

Silk Electric is pretty solidly bad. Swept Away is horribly uneven, but has probably four songs that are as good as anything else she's ever done. Red Hot, I like a lot (Summertime is utterly stellar), even if it contains possibly her worst ever single (stand up Mr fucking Lee). Working Overtime isn't anywhere near as bad as people say, but it's still not great, and doesn't have the high points that most of her other eighties albums do.

Interesting! See I don't love or hate the Gibbs backing vocals, but I do love their songwriting. Experience has a gorgeous melody, and Chain Reaction is classic! Only More and More is a dud on the album, with all other tracks being enjoyable, if dated.

I'd say Swept Away is probably my favorite of her RCA material. Touch by Touch and Swept Away are untouchable, and even something as dubious as We Are the Children of the World is a bop and a half. After that, I'd probably go with Ross, which I agree is very consistent. Red Hot Rhythm & Blues isn't bad (and I appreciate what she was trying to do) but it's the one I return to the least.

So basically:

Swept Away
Ross
Eaten Alive
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
Silk Electric
Red Hot Rhythm & Blues

they / them
I feel left out now because I just word-splurged and didn't list. So to rectify:

Ross
[diana]
Red Hot Rhythm 'n' Blues
Swept Away
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
[Working Overtime]
Eaten Alive
Silk Electric

they / them
It is indeed brilliant. Late '70s Ross is my favourite Ross - had it been released, I have a feeling 'Revelations' would be my favourite album, but you can piece together a top notch playlist from Baby It's Me, Ross [1979], The Boss and the previously unreleased stuff on the diana deluxe.

Is it true that So Now Goodbye (which ia one of my favourite Kylie Minogue songs), samples The Boss by Diana? Have heard a rumour and some similarities but have never found out for sure.

"Summertime" is one of her greatest performances ever. Absolutely stunning rendition of a beautiful song.

Also, I've been listening to her version of "Behind Closed Doors" a lot lately. It's so slinky and sexy and fits in with the country meets R&B feel of "Last Time I Saw Him."

Wikipedia lists that there is supposed to be a box set for 2016 called Diana Ross Supreme Forever.

Of course, it is Wikipedia. But I would love a new anthology with unreleased tracks.

I really miss the Hip-O-Select reissues. They were superb. And they almost got to the end of her first Motown tenure.