Diana Ross

I've consigned myself to the fact that Diana chooses to be an oldies act now, with very few changes in her setlist and no new material. It's especially saddening given how good her voice still is, especially compared to people like Patti LaBelle and Aretha who have much greater media presence. She is such a treasure and we deserve more of her.

But I'm extremely grateful for pearls like this new release seeing the light of day!

I've consigned myself to the fact that Diana chooses to be an oldies act now, with very few changes in her setlist and no new material. It's especially saddening given how good her voice still is, especially compared to people like Patti LaBelle and Aretha who have much greater media presence. She is such a treasure and we deserve more of her.

But I'm extremely grateful for pearls like this new release seeing the light of day!

Yeah, you have to be thankful for what you get. Still a shame she can't put a new album out every few years, though. She was such a big part of my life growing up. She always seemed to have new product out!

Luckily it seems she has stuff in the vaults that is gradually seeing the light of day.

I miss new Diana albums. She worked so hard in the 70s and 80s. Practically an album a year.

I'd rather have quality over quantity though. For every gem album like 'Baby It's Me', 'Surrender' or 'The Boss', there were at least two stinkers like 'Last Time I Saw Him', 'Ross' or 'Workin' Overtime'. There wasn't always much quality control going on in terms of what was released.

I'd rather have quality over quantity though. For every gem album like 'Baby It's Me', 'Surrender' or 'The Boss', there were at least two stinkers like 'Last Time I Saw Him', 'Ross' or 'Workin' Overtime'. There wasn't always much quality control going on in terms of what was released.
Well, everybody was like that in the 70s and 80s! They worked them like dogs then. Someone like Elton John often did 2 studio albums a year. There's no wonder the quality slipped here and there!

Still, I have to say that I can mostly find some highlights on even the poorest albums, so I'm glad they're all out there.

Watched Double Platinum tonight. Not watched it in years.

Diana and Brandy gave some beautiful performances. I wish Brandy was as hot property how as she was at the time of this movie both on and off camera.

Vocal Bible indeed.

1531632.jpg

From 1994, it reached #37 (!) in the UK, but did make Gold status in the end.

Diana's version of "This Christmas" is absolutely stunning. It has this muted, sexy quality that I adore, similar to her cover of "Behind Closed Doors."

Last edited:
The Christmas album is very good. In fact, her 90s output is excellent and underrated although she got some love in the UK. US radio pretty much has ignored her since 1984.
To be honest I wished I had discovered it prior to just on Christmas Eve!! A very good listenable album for the season.

I think the last Diana album I have is The Force Behind The Power from 1991. It's a good album.

Do you have much of her stuff in your collection?
No not really to be honest. Have her Diana album the deluxe edition version and her One Woman GH collection, but nothing else. Am familiar with various songs courtesy of Youtube etc and most of what I have chosen to check out is pretty good. No one could accuse of her of not dishing out the albums back in the day. Have a soft spot for When You Tell Me That You Love Me, stunning ballad and can make me well up at times.