Diana Ross

I love Diana's voice. I know she is not a belter but she can really open that voice on songs like Reach Out I'll Be There, I Ain't Been Licked and Home. I think Diana has exquisite phrasing. Berry Gordy was insistent that the Motown singers be clear and precise when singing lyrics because he wanted listeners to be able to sing along and understand the lyrics. I think that training in addition to working with excellent producers like Ashford & Simpson, Michael Masser, Peter Asher and Narada Michael Walden really benefitted her.

I love Diana's voice. I know she is not a belter but she can really open that voice on songs like Reach Out I'll Be There, I Ain't Been Licked and Home. I think Diana has exquisite phrasing. Berry Gordy was insistent that the Motown singers be clear and precise when singing lyrics because he wanted listeners to be able to sing along and understand the lyrics. I think that training in addition to working with excellent producers like Ashford & Simpson, Michael Masser, Peter Asher and Narada Michael Walden really benefitted her.
Yes I absolutely agree with you on that. And also think that many of today's so called stars could do with that type of training too but that's another story...

I unashamedly love this. Another song cashing in on the early 80's aerobics craze and the huge success of Physical, but a tune all the same! In fact these songs were so good, even my idol Kylie had a go over 30 years later with a song similar all of her own!

"Playlist: the Very Best of Diana Ross" is a really nice budget summary of Diana's 80s hits. It starts out with the three big disco classics ("Love Hangover", "Upside Down" and "I'm Coming Out") then quickly moves on to her later 80s hits, including the campy stuff like "Work That Body" and "Muscles."

"Playlist: the Very Best of Diana Ross" is a really nice budget summary of Diana's 80s hits. It starts out with the three big disco classics ("Love Hangover", "Upside Down" and "I'm Coming Out") then quickly moves on to her later 80s hits, including the campy stuff like "Work That Body" and "Muscles."
This sounds good. May have to try and get this.

Aside from the boob she made at Heathrow, does anyone have any good stories about her being vile? Rumour has it she can be ruthless, which is the opposite to how she portrays herself in interviews.

Aside from the boob she made at Heathrow, does anyone have any good stories about her being vile? Rumour has it she can be ruthless, which is the opposite to how she portrays herself in interviews.
I remember Jon Bon Jovi telling a story about when he was a runner at a record company in his teens. He approached her for something and addressed her as Diana.

She replied, It's Miss Ross to you. Now get the fuck out of my studio'.

Classic Ross.

From what I've seen of her in interviews, I think it's very much that classic case of if you are respectful to her and you treat her the way she wants and demands, your fine. She always did seem so charming in her many interviews as you say, and her speaking voice is quite soothing as it happens!

From what I've seen of her in interviews, I think it's very much that classic case of if you are respectful to her and you treat her the way she wants and demands, your fine. She always did seem so charming in her many interviews as you say, and her speaking voice is quite soothing as it happens!
I read a biog about her last year. Very good and quite respectful of her.

That Jon Bon Jovi story is hilarious!

I have to admit I do like the book "Call Her Miss Ross". I know many fans hate it because they think it portrays her in an unflattering light but I found it to be very well researched and she came off as very complex and human.