Diana Ross

1cf83f4aed5e33e87d5b02ed918becc9_zpsjubkowqo.jpg

This was the Diana biog I read, for anyone interested. Very good.

I was out earlier and very almost purchased her Love and Life collection. But what put me off is a disc of uptempos and than a disc of ballads. And seeing as I am not really a ballads person, a whole CDS worth on its own kind of put me off I must admit. The 'Life' CD did look impressive and jammed pack with classic upbeat Miss Ross though!

I was out earlier and very almost purchased her Love and Life collection. But what put me off is a disc of uptempos and than a disc of ballads. And seeing as I am not really a ballads person, a whole CDS worth on its own kind of put me off I must admit. The 'Life' CD did look impressive and jammed pack with classic upbeat Miss Ross though!
I've not seen that comp. Then again, I'd rather have studio albums from most artists anyway.

0ne album you might like is her Chic-produced 'Diana' album from 1980. Only 8 tracks, but only one ballad too! It was a big hit for her featuring Upside Down, I'm Coming Out and My Old Piano.

9b37db97a31dc88e9e4785163b4a45d1_zpsahlvq5uo.jpg

Oh no! What a shame, I'm going to have to insist you go back and buy it immediately. It's one of my very favourite greatest hits collections and there isn't a bad song on the "Life" side.

It also includes this forgotten gem. It's Believe-tastic and the sound of a nervous breakdown set to a thumping gay dance beat!

I concur with @idratherjack - the Love & Life collection is a must-buy. I just realized that on the Japanese collection (which I have) it's a different tracklisting. It doesn't have Not Over You Yet or Until We Meet Again but it's still great. A good overall view of her career including her time with the Supremes. Ross' ballads are a big part of her catalogue and they're terrific.

Personally I think "The Boss" is her best album. Ashford & Simpson were her best producers in my opinion. They really knew how to use her voice and the songs they wrote for her - especially for "The Boss" - reflected her newfound independence. "I Ain't Been Licked" is such a tune and one of her best vocal performances. "It's My House" should be iconic.

My one grip with Love & Life is that it doesn't include possibly my favourite Diana song, Eaten Alive.

Still don't know how this flopped coming straight after Chain Reaction and the very prominent Michael Jackson backing vocals. This song can still drive me into a frenzy!

According to discogs, "Eaten Alive" was included on Love and Life... in the Netherlands!

I guess there were different tracklists for certain territories.

Diana has a LOT of compilations but I think Love & Life is a good place to start. It pretty much goes up to 2001 and she hasn't done a lot since then so you're not missing out on later material.

So it seems I have made a mistake not buying that CD then! It was £7, and because I know that I would probably not listen to CD2 so much because of it all being ballads, I was a bit undecided. But judging by the response, I may give it a go purely for CD1. Love many a Diana uptempo. Even the Metro remix of Not Over You Yet, which remains her last UK top hit ever!

I've not seen that comp. Then again, I'd rather have studio albums from most artists anyway.

0ne album you might like is her Chic-produced 'Diana' album from 1980. Only 8 tracks, but only one ballad too! It was a big hit for her featuring Upside Down, I'm Coming Out and My Old Piano.

9b37db97a31dc88e9e4785163b4a45d1_zpsahlvq5uo.jpg
Hi Tommy, I do as it happens actually own the Diana album, and love it. It's such a solid album and contains one of my all time Diana favourites, the divine My Old Piano. Brilliant song that.

My one grip with Love & Life is that it doesn't include possibly my favourite Diana song, Eaten Alive.

Still don't know how this flopped coming straight after Chain Reaction and the very prominent Michael Jackson backing vocals. This song can still drive me into a frenzy!

It was actually the first single from the album but died a tragic death on both sides of the Atlantic. When Chain Reaction went to #1 here they released it again. It still flopped! Odd as it's perhaps the strongest song on the album. Michael Jackson was absolutely huge at the time and it's strange his involvement didn't make a difference.

How dare you! It is quite clearly amazing.

I loved Diana's resurgence as a dance diva in the 90s

I still feel cheated Olivia Newton John never went down this route!

'Take Me Higher' was a killer song and the parent album was better and more consistent than anything she'd released since the Diana album in 1980. A shame it wasn't much of a hit. The follow-up single 'I'm Gone' is also lovely. I can take or leave her cover of 'I Will Survive' though.

How dare you! It is quite clearly amazing.

I loved Diana's resurgence as a dance diva in the 90s

I still feel cheated Olivia Newton John never went down this route!

'Take Me Higher' was a killer song and the parent album was better and more consistent than anything she'd released since the Diana album in 1980. A shame it wasn't much of a hit. The follow-up single 'I'm Gone' is also lovely. I can take or leave her cover of 'I Will Survive' though.

As big a Ross fan as (I think) I am, I've never heard or owned this album. Must rectify as soon as possible.