Diana Ross

Do you still listen to her Michael Jackson penned songs like Eaten Alive? Honestly what has surfaced about him in the last years make me very uncomfortable listening to material linked to him...

I've never been a big fan of either Eaten Alive or Muscles. I think the rest of the album Eaten Alive is better than the title track. And Muscles is more of a novelty track in my opinion. Considering how much he supposedly admired her, they didn't work together that much.

I’ve been on a Diana binge over the past couple of days but have been struggling to find single edits/extended mixes/remixes on streaming. Is there a platform better than DEEZER for them? Any suggestions welcome!

(It seems to have the most - mainly on its Soul Bounce compilations - but even then there are omissions; the Eaten Alive single mixes are missing but Experience (Special Dance Mix) is available. Even the Soul Bounce compilations are inconsistent, with vol 2 missing, which probably held some of the missing mixes. I can’t find Soul Bounce on Spotify or Apple Music.)

I’ve been on a Diana binge over the past couple of days but have been struggling to find single edits/extended mixes/remixes on streaming. Is there a platform better than DEEZER for them? Any suggestions welcome!

(It seems to have the most - mainly on its Soul Bounce compilations - but even then there are omissions; the Eaten Alive single mixes are missing but Experience (Special Dance Mix) is available. Even the Soul Bounce compilations are inconsistent, with vol 2 missing, which probably held some of the missing mixes. I can’t find Soul Bounce on Spotify or Apple Music.)
Sadly, it appears that Diana's back catalogue in that respect on streaming is very limited. Apart from Ross (1983), all her RCA re issues from 2014 are absent on streaming/digital, which is a huge shame as they contained various edits and remixes. Hopefully this will be rectified one day though, very much overdue.

Sadly, it appears that Diana's back catalogue in that respect on streaming is very limited. Apart from Ross (1983), all her RCA re issues from 2014 are absent on streaming/digital, which is a huge shame as they contained various edits and remixes. Hopefully this will be rectified one day though, very much overdue.

Thanks, I thought that may be the case, but hoped otherwise. Deezer does seem to be the only place to track some of the mixes down, but it's far from comprehensive.

Random question (and bad fan alert) but I’ve only recently discovered Until We Meet Again - why wasn’t this given a full U.K. release to follow Not Over You Yet that did quite well? I know the album underperformed but in the 90s singles were still big business? A real missed opportunity I think.

I couldn’t agree more, truly a missed opportunity! After all like you said Not Over You Yet actually made the UK Top 10, so you would’ve thought they’d released at least one more single to follow that up. The Hex Hector remix of Until We Meet Again was even included on the 2-CD version of Love & Life in the UK, which makes it even more strange. And it totally sounds like a hit to these ears!

The whole Every Day Is A New Day album campaign was a bit of a mess I guess. In the US after Until We Meet Again there was a radio promo of Sugarfree and then a different version of the title track with an added 25 second spoken part. Neither went anywhere.

The Hex Hector mix of Until We Meet Again was planned for a single in the UK. There are promos for it on CD and cassette. I’d heard Metro also remixed that one as well but I think that’s a rumour, started by someone supposedly in the know, which is untrue.

Anyway, the Every Day Is A New Day album had already had its UK release delayed over half a year so that Diana could do proper promo for it, but then we had the whole airport incident and EMI, at this point pretty worn out working with Ms Ross, decided ‘enough’ and let the era die.

it’s a pity as the album was excellent but not worth salvaging by the end of 1999.

I love the Every Day is a New Day album. There were lots of possibilities with promo. There was also the Brandy/Ross TV movie Double Platinum where they both sang Love is All That Matters. Diana's album only had the Diana solo version but maybe releasing the duet with Brandy would have been a smart move.

The Hex Hector remix of Until We Meet Again would have been a great follow-up to Not Over You Yet in the UK.