Did you ever get insulted by a record store employee for your taste?

Mvnl

Staff member
I remember when I purchased Girls Aloud's The Promise at HMV the girl who helped me shaked her head at me (not even in a joking way) and said, with a look of disgust, "You can't buy thát!".

I wish I'd had a comeback but, me managing a record store myself, I was just too shocked at how unprofessional it was to pretty much talk a customer out of buying something!

Anyone else ever had a moment like that?

Haha, not quite. Once my friend and I were digging through a markdown bin, and went to check out. She got an old Hanson album and I ended up with a nearly-free-it-was-so-marked-down Geri Halliwell album, and the guy at the counter laughed at her but was totally supportive of my choice. I felt vindicated in my horrible taste.

I used to work in a record store and I wouldn't dream of saying that to someone, even if I totally thought it!

One time, I went into Tower Records (RIP) and purchased a Santana album, a David Gray album, and "Justified" by Justin Timberlake. It just so happened that Justin was at the bottom of the stack (I wasn't trying to hide him or anything, I would have just bought it online if I was that ashamed). Someone else had to use the cash register or something happened when I was at the counter, which gave the guy time to review my items -- this meant two "Oh, OK, good choice" head nods and one "WHAAAAAAAT?" head turn. He looked up at me and said, "Well, one of these things is not like the others!"

Yeah, you're not funny, dude, just ring me up please.

This is one of my fears. Seriously. If someone did this to me, I'd have absolutely no idea what to do.

T

The Poop Master

I've gotten some strange looks.

Ray of Light and Thriller are classic albums, bitch!

Keep your dirty looks to yourself.

Mvnl

Staff member
WowWowWowWow said:
I used to work in a record store and I wouldn't dream of saying that to someone, even if I totally thought it!

I know right?
I was probably a bit too honest for my job (I really couldn't pretend every movie was the greatest one ever if I hated it) but I'd never criticize something someone wanted to buy!
(I did get quite a few defensive 'no, why?'s when I asked if something was a gift though, haha)

Every christmas.
Last year I bought Muse's 'The Resistance' (for my mum), N-Dubz second album (my brother) and I bought myself Rated R. The guy at the counter just raised his eyebrows. I felt so stupid.

Mvnl

Staff member
Oh and slightly related, back when I was about 12 I felt so ashamed to buy a Disney video..
Years later when I worked at a record store each one of my colleagues considered Disney cool, and suddenly it's not embarrassing to like it at all anymore, apparently.. (I'm happy for that, but still confused why it was considered so uncool in highschool)

Me & my friend went to HMV once and she bought something highly embarrassing, I don't remember what, and the lass at the tills was like "what is this?!" with eye roll etc. and my friend said "that's your wages love, now pop it in a bag."

I was howling!

I remember people were staring at me in Walmart like I was crazy the day Britney's "Circus" was released, I went and bought it at midnight...and my friend took pictures of me buying it.

I think the looks were more towards me acting like a fool, rather than me buying her album haha.

I got funny looks when I bought Backstreet Boys "This Is Us", smirked at when I asked if they would re-stock Glee's second soundtrack but was completmented when I bought Alicia's "The Element Of Freedom", the people behind the counter said it was their favourite release of the week.

Mvnl

Staff member
Nate said:
I got funny looks when I bought Backstreet Boys "This Is Us", smirked at when I asked if they would re-stock Glee's second soundtrack but was completmented when I bought Alicia's "The Element Of Freedom", the people behind the counter said it was their favourite release of the week.

Oh, yes, I know that feeling too... and even then I feel weird that it makes me happy they approve.. what do I care some girl I've never met approves my purchase?

It's never happened to me. The people who work at my local HMV are usually either completely gormless or over-friendly, and generally supermarket checkout people aren't the type to pass judgement on one's music tastes (in my experience, anyway).

A girl looked at me when I was buying Parallel Lines with utter disdain in HMV.

DO YOU NOT REALISE THAT DEBORAH HARRY IS THE SINGLE LARGEST INFLUENCE ON WHICH YOUR RIDICULOUSLY TRY-HARD 'GLAM-PUNK' LOOK IS BASED YOU WANKER THANK YOU

Mvnl said:
I remember when I purchased Girls Aloud's The Promise at HMV the girl who helped me shaked her head at me (not even in a joking way) and said, with a look of disgust, "You can't buy thát!".

Well The Promise is actually shit so who can blame her.

(Joking.)

(No not really.)

Mvnl

Staff member
apn said:
Mvnl said:

Well The Promise is actually shit so who can blame her.

(Joking.)

(No not really.)

Yeah, she was probably a dissapointed Girls Aloud fan herself..

(Erm.. no.)

My 13-year old self was mocked by some Our Prince idiot for buying Purple Rain by Prince & The Revolution. I think history proves who was on the right side there.

EG.