Did you ever get insulted by a record store employee for your taste?

It's really saddening that people have actually walked out of shops without their products because of other people's vile opinions. When I worked in Sainsbury's, I would only comment if someone was buying a CD I already had, or really wanted. Mind you, I have purchased so many crap CDs in my time there's not much I COULD 'look down on'. But you just don't do it, it's manners.

I probably confuse those in my local HMV - over the last couple months I've brought CDs right across the musical spectrum - from pop (Diana Vickers and more experimental Ellie Goulding), dance (Guetta), indie (Snow Pattrol) to rock (We Are The Fallen). I think knowing that my musical spectrum is broad means that if I do go in and buy the Sugababes album for example, a snooty look doesn't bother me because I like being open minded about music.

I think the worst time was when Woolies closed and I picked up EVERYTHING even if I wouldn't usually buy it. Same Difference, Britney's Circus album, lots of other potentially quite cheesy CDs that I haven't really given a second listen did earn me a bit of stick BUT I couldn't help thinking what a winner I was getting them all for a pound.

D

duckface

Sugababes albums are considered embarrassing?

Don't mention that in the Suga threads. Over there they're practically considered 'indie cool'.

If this happened to me i'd probably ask for the manager or whoever is in charge and make a complaint. They shouldn't be allowed, they're paid to serve customers and stock the shelves, not paid to give opinion, especially degrading ones.

duckface said:
Sugababes albums are considered embarrassing?

Don't mention that in the Suga threads. Over there they're practically considered 'indie cool'.

Ha, well I read somewhere in this thread someone saying 'Wear My Kiss' got them one such negative reaction.

I think this era Sugababes has potential for people to be snobby yes (even though it's totally the best line up! :P)

On the flip side. Have you ever been in a restaurant and ordered something only for the waiter to say "good choice"? Happened to me the other day and all I could think was "well of course it is.... that's why I ordered it."

S

SockMonkey

I thought that was just something they were trained to say, like "Sorry for the wait." in TK Maxx and "Do you need any bags?" in the supermarket. It promotes an idea that the food is good, and they like it themselves, even if you've ordered a steak and they're vegetarian.

Daneeeboy said:
On the flip side. Have you ever been in a restaurant and ordered something only for the waiter to say "good choice"? Happened to me the other day and all I could think was "well of course it is.... that's why I ordered it."

Oh, for heaven's sakes, they're just being polite! Take a compliment for its face value!

Mvnl

Staff member
SockMonkey said:
I thought that was just something they were trained to say, like "Sorry for the wait." in TK Maxx and "Do you need any bags?" in the supermarket.

Yes, that's it.. I've had times I heard the waitress say it in exactly the same tone at 10 tables in a row.. that made me feel like 'okay, drop the act, it's not like I believe you really care'.
Of course if you believe they're sincere it can be nice to get a compliment, but when I think they're just doing it as part of their job I feel more insulted than anything else.

Charley

Staff member
At my summer job I occasionally find myself complimenting people's purchases.

Not that often, but it happens.

Mvnl

Staff member
Charley! said:
At my summer job I occasionally find myself complimenting people's purchases.

Not that often, but it happens.

Only when you mean it or even when you don't?
When I worked at my store I did say "enjoy it!" to everyone (even when I worried they wouldn't or shouldn't) but I could never bring myself to say 'ooh, great pick!' when I didn't feel that way. I'd feel like a Mean Girl going 'ooh, I love those earrings!'
Customer: 'really?'
Me: 'No.'

Charley

Staff member
Well it's usually clothes, so if it happens it's more something like telling them how good the quality of the fabric is or what a lovely colour it is. Which is true when I say it!

We also sell clothes from McGregor and I love McGregor shirts, but I try not to tell people "I have that same shirt!!!" as I think that might freak them out or put them off maybe, haha.

When people go crazy when the espadrilles are on sale I just scan them and try to look as neutral as possible. We also sell lingerie, which can get a bit awkard when you're packing up some woman's tiny g-string and see-through bra.

I once bought a Britney album in Walmart (shush... I used to live in a small town) and the employee checking me out just laughed, scanned it and chunked it into the bag. She even broke the jewel case. What. a. bitch.

I saw The Family Jewels in the discount bin, and even though I bought it already on iTunes I felt bad, so I picked it up alongside a few others, and as I was waiting in line I heard this man behind me scoff, so I turned around--

Jerk: I can't believe you're buying that. I personally can't stand her voice.
Me (after a moment of stunned paralysis): Yeah, well, I could say the same thing about you.

It was especially awkward because I was only 5th in line and I had to stand in front of him for about 5 mins, but it still felt good.

D

duckface

I would have said "Oh yeah!?? Well I personally can't stand your face!" before running out and hiding somewhere.

I'm a brave one.

yougotthelove said:
I saw The Family Jewels in the discount bin, and even though I bought it already on iTunes I felt bad, so I picked it up alongside a few others, and as I was waiting in line I heard this man behind me scoff, so I turned around--

Just to clarify: I felt bad because of how poor sales have been in comparison to the album's quality.

I bought an old Lily Allen single and the newest album from The Dead Weather in the same purchase at a local record shop (which is quite a good one - Red Eye records in Sydney), but the utterly confused look I got from the cashier was brilliant. I don't even think it's that extreme to like both?!