Disappointing Comebacks

I couldn't find an existing thread in relation to this, so apologies if there actually is one and I've missed it.

What comebacks did you personally think didn't quite hit the mark and were underwhelming/disappointing?

1. Eve - Lip Lock

Eve_Lip_Lock.jpg

This one always sticks with me because I'll forever be absolutely baffled at them not releasing the album they had ready to go (Here I Am) when Tambourine was released. It was a huge bop that deserved way more success and I've actually heard it quite a lot over the years in movies, shows, etc? I was so perched for Here I Am, it had great artwork and she performed some of the tracks from it which all sounded great, but it was ultimately all shelved and has never seen the light of day. Anyway, fast forward six years and we get... Lip Lock which sounds completely dated, was pretty much stale on arrival and it went completely under the radar. Here I Am was shelved because of the absence of a massive hit single (even though Tambourine didn't do horribly), but then six years later they released Lip Lock with... the absence of a massive hit single. I love Eve but this album was really disappointing and I believe if she had released Here I Am in 2007 things could have been very different.

2. Emma Bunton - My Happy Place

My_Happy_Place.png

Not much to say on this one, but to come back with a... ten track cover album after a thirteen year absence was disappointing. It's giving Rachel Stevens releasing that Tasty Tunes album. Did anyone really need it? No Did anyone ask for it or want it? Not really, no.

3. Jessica Mauboy - Hilda

Hilda_by_Jessica_Mauboy.png

I absolutely loved Jessica Mauboy growing up, her first three albums are great. In 2015 she released a single called This Ain't Love which was insanely catchy and her new album was described as an up-beat pop record - it was looking well! However for unknown reasons the album was shelved and fast forward to 2019 and we got... Hilda. Described as her most personal album, it was also a complete and utter snoozefest. Going from releasing brilliantly sleek pop songs such as To The End of The Earth, Pop a Bottle (Fill Me Up), Beautiful, Saturday Night etc to releasing these unremarkable songs was disappointing. Here's hoping her new album coming out next month is a bit better!

4. Girls Aloud - Ten

Ten_by_Girls_Aloud.png

This might be a controversial one, but I remember being so disappointed that we got a second greatest hits from Girls Aloud instead of a brand new album. I remember after making Out of Control they confirmed they were taking a break and then getting to work on their next album. For them to finally reunite and release a greatest hits... I was so underwhelmed. It gave us Something New and On the Metro which are both fantastic Girls Aloud songs, but I can't help but wonder what could have been if they released a completely new album rather than a greatest hits, especially considering they'd only released two studio albums since their previous one.

That's it for now, but I'm sure I'll think of more later!

I couldn't find an existing thread in relation to this, so apologies if there actually is one and I've missed it.

What comebacks did you personally think didn't quite hit the mark and were underwhelming/disappointing?

1. Eve - Lip Lock

View attachment 49491

This one always sticks with me because I'll forever be absolutely baffled at them not releasing the album they had ready to go (Here I Am) when Tambourine was released. It was a huge bop that deserved way more success and I've actually heard it quite a lot over the years in movies, shows, etc? I was so perched for Here I Am, it had great artwork and she performed some of the tracks from it which all sounded great, but it was ultimately all shelved and has never seen the light of day. Anyway, fast forward six years and we get... Lip Lock which sounds completely dated, was pretty much stale on arrival and it went completely under the radar. Here I Am was shelved because of the absence of a massive hit single (even though Tambourine didn't do horribly), but then six years later they released Lip Lock with... the absence of a massive hit single. I love Eve but this album was really disappointing and I believe if she had released Here I Am in 2007 things could have been very different.

''Tambourine'' is still massive at the clubs and it still makes me dance the second the intro starts. Such a waste, really. The album was disappointing but I do love ''She Bad Bad'' and ''Eve'' a lot!

The MVP’s of fumbled reunions Danity Kane, the DK3 album is half good/half okay and we all know what happened to them personally that era.
Then the 2019 tour which was good and unexpected but whatever happened after was strange, very start stop, then Shannon leaving unofficially and 3 DK2 songs.

I get what you're saying about Ten. However, I loved all four new songs (yes, including the one whose name I will not mention) and I loved the styling for the cover and Something New single. The new music demonstrated that they could still deliver music on par with their previous work. And I enjoyed the Ten Tour even if a lot of it was regurgitated from previous tours.

For me, disappointing comeback was Eurythmics' Peace album which I have grown to appreciate over the years, but in 1999, it just didn't click at all with me.

Let’s add Dumblonde to this too, the Bianca album/ep was amazing I literally needed more but what was that era. There was a kinda video for White Hot Lies, they dropped it randomly and it disappeared, I don’t mind the track names but I always have to use the popjustice thread to get the actual names. We had some performances but only the pride show with more of the tracks and that was it and now there done.
Both eras were great in terms of music but the first era was as perfect as it could be content wise (videos/performances/interviews), even with zero budget they could of done more, such a missed opportunity.

Rant over.

Let’s add Dumblonde to this too, the Bianca album/ep was amazing I literally needed more but what was that era. There was a kinda video for White Hot Lies, they dropped it randomly and it disappeared, I don’t mind the track names but I always have to use the popjustice thread to get the actual names. We had some performances but only the pride show with more of the tracks and that was it and now there done.
Both eras were great in terms of music but the first era was as perfect as it could be content wise (videos/performances/interviews), even with zero budget they could of done more, such a missed opportunity.

Rant over.
…And the first album is only available on Amazon Music nowadays.
Now my rant is over too.

Gwen Stefani. Besides the singles, I didn't appreciate the first album and thought maybe they'd get it right for the second. They didn't for my ears sadly.