Disappointing Comebacks

Lil' Kim's whole career after the Ms. G.O.A.T. mixtape (her last really strong release) has been a series of disappointing, half-hearted comebacks. She is one of my all-time faves, but she's never released anything truly satisfying since then. At least a few of the tracks on 9 are good.

Looking back, I would have to say S Club 7 2014/15. From the Children In Need performance to the bizarre setlist for the tour, I feel so much more money and effort could've been put into it.

Although we've sadly lost Paul and Hannah isn't taking part, the 2023/24 reunion feels far more put together and I feel they'll be sticking around.

I couldn't find an existing thread in relation to this, so apologies if there actually is one and I've missed it.

What comebacks did you personally think didn't quite hit the mark and were underwhelming/disappointing?

3. Jessica Mauboy - Hilda

View attachment 49495

I absolutely loved Jessica Mauboy growing up, her first three albums are great. In 2015 she released a single called This Ain't Love which was insanely catchy and her new album was described as an up-beat pop record - it was looking well! However for unknown reasons the album was shelved and fast forward to 2019 and we got... Hilda. Described as her most personal album, it was also a complete and utter snoozefest. Going from releasing brilliantly sleek pop songs such as To The End of The Earth, Pop a Bottle (Fill Me Up), Beautiful, Saturday Night etc to releasing these unremarkable songs was disappointing. Here's hoping her new album coming out next month is a bit better!
The album was a disappointment following the fabulous We Got Love - but Little Things was absolutely gorgeous.

3. Jessica Mauboy - Hilda

Hilda_by_Jessica_Mauboy.png

I absolutely loved Jessica Mauboy growing up, her first three albums are great. In 2015 she released a single called This Ain't Love which was insanely catchy and her new album was described as an up-beat pop record - it was looking well! However for unknown reasons the album was shelved and fast forward to 2019 and we got... Hilda. Described as her most personal album, it was also a complete and utter snoozefest. Going from releasing brilliantly sleek pop songs such as To The End of The Earth, Pop a Bottle (Fill Me Up), Beautiful, Saturday Night etc to releasing these unremarkable songs was disappointing. Here's hoping her new album coming out next month is a bit better!

I can't agree with this one more. It feels weird she scored a top five with This Ain't Love, and then orphaned it along with the sleek Rudimental-lite sound.

And I'm annoyed she just orphaned her three recent singles for the new album coming soon (Glow, Automatic, and Right Here, Right Now). Mainly because I loved the direction, they sounded great, and she did it so well. I'm already expecting to be disappointed similar to Hilda again.

Fergie's Double Dutchess was disappointing. The Hungry teasers killed me but then I just remember silence for ages. She had a cute viral moment with M.I.L.F. $ but then the album came and it was meh
I was about to type the same. It was a very messy rollout, although I understand she was basically fighting to get this album out. But by the time did, I already lost all my interest and most of it sounded terribly dated, not in a good way.

I was about to type the same. It was a very messy rollout, although I understand she was basically fighting to get this album out. But by the time did, I already lost all my interest and most of it sounded terribly dated, not in a good way.

Oh, I would say the rollout was terrible, but I loved the album itself (as a complete album more so than her solo debut, although we can't argue those monster singles). I actually felt the sound purposely captured a California 90s sound which is what I always think of when I think Fergie.

Headlines is a beautiful song that would’ve been a hit in the nineties.

In 2007 it wasn’t what people wanted from them though they wanted another upbeat. I think the song itself has a gorgeous production. Its structure maybe could’ve been better however it sits well alongside the other ballads on the Greatest Hits. I hope they perform it again one day.

As for Ten. It definitely was messy as was the addition of all these fan selected tracks put on a bonus disc.

They should’ve released a sixth studio album and put the singles from the previous era on a bonus disc.

I also think Ten messes up the impressive sales from their first million selling greatest hits which could’ve kept growing had it been re-released.

He/Him
The real clunker with Headlines was the music video concept. I understand your comeback song being about friendship when your biggest song has the line "friendship never ends", but then the video for said song is you lounging around in lingerie? Just a complete tonal misfire.