Disney

So I just watched the Mulan remake. And it was so embarrassingly bad and devoid of any character or resonance whatsoever? It felt like one of those films where it's based on real events and so they're bound to real people not having the same emotional development as fictional characters, but it's not that. How did they cock up that badly?

My boyfriend said Mulan is shot like 4K tv demos and I can’t unsee it.

the chi thing is utterly awful and devalues the selfless act of family that Mulan takes into a ‘fulfil your destiny as the soldier you are born to be’ which is just not a good shift. Most character additions just muddy the motivations of the overall plot and the action is somehow sillier than any songs or red dragons could be

My boyfriend said Mulan is shot like 4K tv demos and I can’t unsee it.

Why is it..so ugly? Why are so many blockbuster films so ugly? I actually stopped to wonder if it was just me being “old” and missing old styles but I think it’s actually just the utterly empty feeling locations, the grey/beige tones across the board and then just like...crappy lighting when against a clearly cgi backdrop. Stop stop she’s already dead but seriously this is awful.

Why is it..so ugly? Why are so many blockbuster films so ugly? I actually stopped to wonder if it was just me being “old” and missing old styles but I think it’s actually just the utterly empty feeling locations, the grey/beige tones across the board and then just like...crappy lighting when against a clearly cgi backdrop. Stop stop she’s already dead but seriously this is awful.
Mulan has this really aggressive mix of OTT colour pop, lack of connection between sets, and then the lack of real visceral action due to it being Disney leaves it feeling like plastic everything.

these live action films all feel like those tweets with ‘dream casting’ where it’s what people ostensibly want but the execution of those concepts is either a hot mess or unambitious but with bad new ideas to push it up to 2 hours.