Disney | Page 189 | The Popjustice Forum

Disney

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Charley, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

To what exactly though? Considering there's at least 2 other Pinocchio movies being released just in this and the past year?

johnoclock likes this.
  2. I don’t think that’s the case. A lot of the stories Disney made movies based on are all in the public domain at this point. Hence the various films about Pinocchio, Snow White, etc are all being made.

Case in point, as of right now, Mickey Mouse is set to enter the public domain in 2024… but only the form of him that existed when he was first seen in Steamboat Willie. Other forms since don’t and I’m sure Disney would pull up some Trademark rules/laws that cover them for many years to come. This is what most companies do to keep things from ending. Marvel does it with various characters every few years. Winnie the Pooh just entered the public domain but only the original book version. Using anything that Disney added to him, would possibly be a violation of a trademark.

3. The remakes are a big cost, bit profit reinvention of the Disney Vault. Except now they can paint over perceived issues in the originals and portray themselves as progressive. Dumbo with its changed ending, Beauty and the Beast with its paper thin 'Belle is a feminist' character beats, Mulan with its supposed focus on more authentic history (lol).

Stradiwhovius likes this.
  4. Yeah as long as they don't use anything that Disney tacked on, there's nothing stopping anyone else from making films based off the fairytale books that Disney took from to make their films. But it'd be very hard to put out like your own version of The Little Mermaid and have it stand up to Disney's. So I think most studios just do not bother.

As far as Steamboat Willie Mickey, Disney lobbied with Congress back in the 90s or early 2000s to change the date of when something goes into public domain. That Mickey was supposed to be put in public domain until 2003, and because of their lobbying it got pushed to January 1st, 2024. Makes me wonder if they'll try something again to try to retain sole rights to him.

Andrew likes this.
  5. Every Disney creative meeting since 2014:

Sam, thommyh, lushLuck and 11 others like this.
  6. Pinocchio had a lot of issues but was far from the worst remakes. Visually it was really beautiful in places.

7. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

8. Tears in my eyes

Trinu 3.0, Mvnl, Gemini and 1 other person like this.
  9. God she sounds amazing.

And yeah, I'm really excited for this. The Little Mermaid is in my top 3 Disney movies (with Beauty & The Beast and Mulan, they rotate through number one all the time) and Ariel is one of my favorite Disney characters. I'm excited to see Halle play her and curious about what the full movie will be like and what changes they might make.
    Might go on a Disney binge soon to be honest.

10. Imagine listening to how amazingly gorgeous that is and then think "She doesn't LOOK like Ariel though".
    Her vocals are so beautiful and all people can talk about is her look. Of course, her look IS beautiful too.
    People are so racist and insufferable.

11. I don't think I should have clicked this link right after waking up. I wasn't ready to cry yet.

GodsAndMonsters and mrp2910 like this.
  12. I've just watched a load more and I'm in bits. Some wonderful reactions.

13. I feel like this question is safer to ask here than the General Games discussion thread. But, has anyone played Disney Dreamlight Valley yet? Should I get it? What do we think? I know it's in early access/beta or whatever but it looks cute.

14. My boyfriend has been playing it since release and he loves it. Similiar to Animal Crossing.

There are bugs here and there but usually they are fixed very quickly.

15. I also have to wonder, so many people on Reddit were saying:
    These live actions are all just not needed and cash grabs, they come out horribly done, I will not be watching.
    Okay, if you're not watching, why do you care who gets cast? Or how it looks? Nobody is forcing anyone's hand here...

Andrew likes this.
  17. I'd be more invested in live action remakes if Disney did them for more lesser known entries in their catalogue. I get them starting off with movies like Cinderella and Beauty & The Beast, but did anyone really need a "live action" Lion King with CGI animals or a live action Dumbo?

Waiting for Atlantis to be remade honestly. Maybe even The Princess & The Frog or The Emperor's new Groove, although Yzma is forever associated with Ertha Kitt.

18. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I guess Atlantis as a title just doesn’t have the same pull(?) with the big titles just being a safe bet because just the title draws an audience

19. As a big fan of the original, I love The Lion King remake (and will tell anyone who will listen). But would also be here for some lesser known titles. It would be interesting to see what they could do with a Black Cauldron remake. The original is one of my favourites, and done right it could be amazing. And scary!

Mr.Arroz, Andrew and Celestial Mosaic like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.