Disney

Thank you,I feel the same way.
Whilst there's no denying Halle's voice is gorgeous I think this new version is way overwrought (and thus fits in perfectly with the expected PS2 CGI look of the movie).
I think I remember some behind the scenes stuff from the original where they show how Howard Ashman made Jodi Benson sing it again and again because she was oversinging it and he wanted it to be more like Ariel talking to herself with some bursts of emotion here and there. I think that's what made the original so intimate and beautiful and no other version of this song (neither the million pop covers nor this new version) got this right.

Yeah, this is the video. It's fascinating, I love seeing Benson trying to make practical sense of some of the cryptic direction she's being given but overall it's very clear the direction is to keep stripping it further and further back. And they even end up shrouding the recording booth in darkness to make it feel even more intimate. 'Less voice and more intensity' is like the perfect director's note for the song.

Last edited:
2D animation is infinitely more charming and artistically rewarding but I don't think young kids today connect with it at all. Even tv cartoons are 3D, they wouldn't even know what 2D animation looks like. The gorgeous Princess and the Frog underperformed because it was 2D.
Also because 2D animators unionised and Disney pivoted to 3D hard - they dropped Winnie The Pooh the same day as the last Harry Potter movie.

I LOVED Yara Shahidi as Tinker Bell! She did amazing. She was so charasmatic. I adored all the diverse casting. Ever Gabo Anderson looks EXACTLY like her mom it's truly uncanny.

I almost didn't recognise Jude Law as Hook, only midway through I realised. He was surprisingly good as well as I've never been a fan of his.

The only 'downside' you could say about this version is that it's grittier like all live action Disney films are nowadays and lacked powerful colors in the cinematography department. But all in all it looks really well made and expensive with the lovely landscapes and set pieces.

Didn't expect to enjoy this movie at all since the 90s one is so embedded in my mind.

The estimated opening figures of the movie (between $30-50M) are abysmal given what it's likely cost them to make it and promote it. I do have a feeling it'll be on the high end and might break even when all is said and done but eesh.

He/him
The estimated opening figures of the movie (between $30-50M) are abysmal given what it's likely cost them to make it and promote it. I do have a feeling it'll be on the high end and might break even when all is said and done but eesh.
That's not the estimates, not sure where you saw that. Industry tracking has it at $110 million for the 4 day weekend. But I think good reviews will take it higher than that.

The first reactions are excellent. Many calling it the best live action Disney movie. Some saying it's one of the best family movies ever. Unanimous praise for Halle too.

Last edited:
he/him/his
The real social media reactions have been really good. Some cgi bad stuff but beside that excellent so I am excited.

He/him
Social media reactions are always way more positive than overall reviews, but given that a lot of them are also from some big reviewers, it's really encouraging. It really does sound like they've pulled it off. I'm so pleased. I can't wait to watch it.

They should release a little teaser clip of Poor Unfortunate Souls now that Part of Your World has been out there a couple of weeks.

I'm honestly excited to see this, the criticisms are predictable and tired at this point.

Also Beauty and the Beast was a brilliant live action transfer if only Emma Watson and her autotune hadn't stunk it up.