DJ-ing for a Dance... | The Popjustice Forum

DJ-ing for a Dance...

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by DarkSacoura, Nov 12, 2009.

1. There's a school dance tomorrow, and I honestly wasn't even planning on going, but the "crew" putting it on asked me to select the all of the music for the night. That's cool in itself, PLUS - I get in free.

I need several more songs to fill out the list. I'm pretty much going for an all out electric, HI-NRG dance fest. I've got to somehow find balance with my indie electro sensibilities and mainstream, Top 40 clientele.

So... suggestions?! If any collective group has good taste in clubbin' music, it's you all! As long as it isn't too vulgar, it's good to go.

2. You aren't exactly helping us by not giving us the list of songs that you have already finalised.

Anyway, here's my contributions.

Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
    Robyn - Konichiwa Bitches
    Sugababes - 3 Spoons of Suga
    Hot Chip - Ready for the floor

more to come

3. It really depends...are people likely to walk off if they hear a song they don't know? Much as I like 'Three Spoons of Suga' (above) it's not something I would pick.

4. True. I picked it exactly because the poster said he has 'sensitive indie tastes'. So I assume the audience would share similar tastes. And I just wanted to pick a Sugababe song that wasn't from Shit 7, or About You Now.

And it's 12.30 at night here, I'll give you more tomorrow.

5. Rihanna - Hard and Rude Boy!

6. Well, it went ALRIGHT. They actually just wanted me to pick all of the music, and not actually DJ like I thought. So what they actually played of mine went over well; the little DJ dude just decided to throw in his own choices, which completely threw off the entire sychronization of what I had picked. That was a little bit of a clusterfuck.

But everyone liked what I did pick, even if they had no idea what it was. Santigold's 'Creator' was awesome, everyone liked Bad Romance, and the Fred Falke remix I shoved in there was really warmly received. 3 sounds awesome on a full sound system, as does the Designer Drugs remix of Mariah's 'I'll be Lovin' U Long Time'.

Thanks for the suggestions on such a short notice, too. Also, fun fact: Afterwards, everybody wanted to know what that "Get Sexy" song was. Big hit with the crowd, ha...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.