Do we really need a Random Thoughts thread? Thoughts. | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

Do we really need a Random Thoughts thread? Thoughts.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tribal Spaceman, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K94

K94

Why is sex being treated like taboo? Yes there has been overshare at times but it's not like we're kids. Also when you were like 'THIS AINT SEXJUSTICE' everyone laughed and stopped talking about it.

2. Well, I have no doubt you do Someboy.

When do we ever see snide digs? Honestly? The only person I notice being bullied in Off Topic is playboy69 - other than that I think we're quite good. And if there are snide remarks they're in the fucking main forum if anything!! "You like Amelle? Ya nasty mothafucka!!" happens on a daily basis (and don't tell me to report because I KNOW you must be aware of the Sugababes threads).

And for the sexual details - big woop in my opinion. Most of us are adults and if not then they're teens who need somewhere to talk about that, especially seeing as most of us are gay. We'll have to just agree to disagree on that one. Intimate conversations like that actually make people bond.

3. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Staff Member

You've been my 'go to' mod a couple of times over the years as I've always found you very approachable, but this post shocks me. That isn't what being a moderator is all about at all. You've just said you don't like the thread and hate dealing with it, so you obviously used a feeble excuse to close it. You knew people would question your motives but you admit you did it 'because you could'? Nice.

Yes, it is just a thread on a pop forum. But it's a pop forum we all care about enough to post on, to read, to moderate, so I don't see what your point there is. I could pick out many threads that are "irrelevant" to me, but I wouldn't go around deleting them for the hell of it, if I had that ability. I know others enjoy them and they make their time on Popjustice more interesting.

If you hate Off Topic so much then perhaps you'd be better off sticking to other areas of the forum and leaving this place to a dedicated team which could be put together quite soon if there was enough interest, which there seems to be.

Being a moderator is a largely thankless task and it basically means being the janitors of the internet (I do it myself elsewhere), but we'd all soon notice if this place didn't have any and I hate that we're having to have this discussion now. I really hope some positive changes can come from all this.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  4. duckface

duckface Guest

I agree that this is not the place for sex talk, but when we were asked nicely to stop... we stopped.

5. K94

K94

This is just causing so much more drama than is needed - the thread should be re-opened so we can be done with this nonsense.

6. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Staff Member

I agree. It's opened a whole can of worms. Clearly there are issues with the forum that need to be addressed but in the meantime Random Thoughts should be re-opened as it should never have been closed in the first place.

7. RJF

RJF

Many of us have volunteered for the moderator position when this conversation has arisen in the past. I do think part of the problem is the lack of visibility. The only moderator I can see regularly moderating is Someboy, and it's simply too big a task for one person or even the three that are remotely active.

And really, "It's just a pop forum." coming from a moderator on said pop forum? Isn't that excuse usually reserved for someone desperately losing an argument in Pop & Justice in their attempt to make the other person look bad? Come on. The majority want to see this forum thrive and grow healthily. Of course we're going to be invested in it. If you're going to take that attitude, why even bother locking it in the first place?

This is also the first I've heard of clique-y-ness being an issue. In fact, there have been several times that I've been more accomodating or light-hearted towards someone's opinion in Pop & Justice because of something I've read about them in Off-Topic, or because of something we've agreed on in the Lists & Charts forum. No one is excluding anyone, and the multitude of new members we've had who have integrated just fine are a testament to that. As always, we've had a few bad eggs, but what forum doesn't?

8. duckface

duckface Guest

The Official Moral Compass of Popjustice has spoken, y'all!

9. I always knew Cheryl's breasts would save us.

10. passionoia

passionoia Moderator

Well yes and no.

There was an argument on the main board. This argument was stopped by Someboy. Members who were involved in that argument came to the Random Thoughts thread to discuss it and have a pop at the person they had been arguing with, there was also discussion about this persons condition. That was unacceptable to me, the thread was closed so people would be aware this is a no go area... like all threads are closed (sometimes temporarily, sometimes for good).

But it plays into a feeling from corners of the forum community (believe it or not Random Thoughts isn't the only hub of community) that the forum is insular and unwelcoming and there is a cliquey atmosphere and pack mentality. And a lot of members lay that at the door of the Off Topic community. And so when you've got members bitching about what went on the Gaga and having a pop at who they were arguing with it hardly dispels the theory. That for a person who only comes here to discuss pop music (which is the main point) it's not so much fun when you think other members are slagging you off in other threads for daring to think a bit different, or that the pack will all pounce on you. I'm not saying people are like that... but there is that perception and behaviour like that in Random Thoughts don't help much.

I do feel that a thread like random thoughts closes the community. It's the place for the more gregarious types with the loudest voices who probably facebook and tweet a lot... but that isn't the whole of the community. There also the community that is here to discuss pop music, that is brought together by that.

And the thing is you have to try and think of the forum as a whole... not just the vocal minority. That was my point, you try and moderate for the benefit of the board as a whole. There's only so much you pander to the vocal minority. You can try and continue to moderate the thread just so those who like it can still enjoy it... however if you think it's existence is having an negative effect on the board as a whole then if you're not invested in that one part you're not going to carry on working at it.

I accept I may have been a bit reactionary in closing it... it struck a nerve continuing to dig and make comments towards a fellow member who wasn't there to defend themselves especially when you start bringing up and commenting on their personal status... everyone here knows that's not right. And I knew it would get a reaction, that's why I asked the question.

It would be great if someone would step up and volunteer to moderate... maybe with a more specific focus on here. But nobody seems to want to do it.

11. So if I've got this right the thread was closed because a lot of gays were occasionally talking about their sex lives and being bitchy literally a few times a YEAR?

12. passionoia

passionoia Moderator

Because actually I'm probably a bit over sensitive to peoples feelings. I reacted to the fact that you and a few others just couldn't leave it alone with somebody. Someone who was clearly very sensitive and also was it autistic? And you just couldn't leave it or them could you? Despite the fact you'd been asked to end it. And it's not the first time.

Pop forum or not I'd feel the same. Maybe I am over sensitive but I'd say what it's over is worth more than a just a thread on a pop forum. I mean people have suggested I'm a liar, I think I've been long enough for people to not think that of me just because they don't agree with me. I mean that's a low blow.... and over the shutting of a thread? Seriously. I can accept I'm a pompous twat but what have I ever said or done to suggest I'm a liar?

And the thing is I fell genuine guilt over pissing so many people. I still don't know if I think I'm my opinion but I really do feel shitty.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  13. passionoia

passionoia Moderator

Yeah a thread was closed.

But whatever, if you want it open so be it.... sorry.

14. The surest way to make people feel like there is a clique running the place is to close down a thread, effecting everyone, when a few individuals are seemingly misbehaving.

The least effective way to avoid an unwelcome, insular atmosphere is to close the threads for more universal topics and force people into the "Which Sugababe hairstyle is the worst?" thread.

I still don't understand why anyone would chose to deal with a few people by closing a thread in which the original arguments didn't even occur and actually drawing MORE people into the drama, rather than making a public warning to / dealing with / banning etc the individuals involved in the actual relevant thread initially.

Speaking as someone who is not part of a clique and also as an adult, I am perplexed.

15. Popjustice

Popjustice Staff Member

Hello everyone.

I won't have time to deal with this properly (and it deserves a proper dealing-with, whatever the eventual outcome) until later today, or maybe even tomorrow. I want to be able to give all your comments some proper thought before deciding where to go next with this.

I know that at the moment it's hard to moderate (or be moderated!) on a forum without rules that are specific or broad or both so my priority will have to be to get that all in place. Anything you want to see included or left out? For that and anything else, you can drop me a line on [email protected].

I also set up a Twitter for the forum (whose use I have yet to decide!) which is @PopjusticeForum if you want to contact me that way.

For the time being, to anybody saying that moderators don't care what forum users want: I don't like the random thoughts thread. Yet it's stayed there, like most of off-topic, because you've wanted it there.

Finally, yes, as we start a new year, a handful of extra moderators would probably be a good idea. It's tough picking moderators, partly, I find, because taking on mod duties does rather change one's relationship with the forum, so in a way it feels a little unfair to potentially ruin someone's enjoyment of the forum. But if you're up for it, drop me a line. That email again: [email protected].

I know some of you are getting upset about what has happened. I know I won't be able to make everyone happy with whatever happens but I'm taking it seriously as an issue and I'll take individual comments seriously as the arrive in my inbox. What will not help, however, is an endless barrage of abuse to other mods or dwelling on (or even stirring up) trouble on the forum itself, so if you could refrain from making an awkward situation worse that would be great.

Like I said at the start, I'm not going to be able to get involved in discussions until much later today due to other commitments I have on today so if the conversation does continue please don't be offended that I'm not taking part for the time being.

Thanks for understanding!

Peter

16. Thank you.

17. Hags

Hags Guest

What a shame. That thread needed to be closed and shouldnt have been re opened; it was a basically at the point of closing a circle jerk for some of the most horrible, immature people on the forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
  18. passionoia

passionoia Moderator

Maybe, maybe not. The thing is other people are complaining that people are being warned privately so no-one knows what people are doing wrong therefore how can they know... also that it gives the impression no-one is being punished.

But if you do it publicly... then do you single people out? Then you feel like you're picking on them... I dunno.

I disagree.

With smaller more subject driven thread you're constantly communicating with a variety of diverse groups with different dynamics. Universal/general thread are generally the same group of people.

19. Resi12

Resi12 Guest

I'm not sure what exactly happened but I'm not outraged it's been closed. I can only blame the ones who posted the stuff to get it to such a level that Peter has to intervene.

Messy.

20. I'm inclined to disagree. In my experience moderating a brief extract on the nature of the circumstance did wonders, please find such a remark below:
    It's to the point, establishes the situation but does not come across in an aggressive manner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.